Do ABDLs have more memories of their childhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshadow42

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Childhood amnesia is said to prevent the remembrance of memories from before the ages of 2-4 years old. It is my understanding that memories from that time are still available in the mind, albeit disconnected from one's conscious thought; inaccessible. However, unlike the "normal" population, we regress into a state in which we may use the parts of our brains connected with these inaccessible memories, essentially allowing the potential for these memories to become accessible again.

On more than one occasion I have recalled memories of events happening at the house I lived in until I was 2, which according to family members are consistent with actual events (their explanations of the events actually increased the vividness of what I had experienced).

Using the comparison of an ABDLs having 'more' early memories than a non ABDL is somewhat problematic, as we have no other person's memories to directly compare our own to. Aside from this, would you say you have remarkably vivid memories of your young childhood, or have exposed any long lost memories from long ago while regressing?

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Personally, I have absolutely no memories before the age of 5, and very few memories before the age of 13. My family finds it remarkable that my long-term memory is so poor, and there are many events that everyone seems to have a recollection of but sound completely foreign to me. It's very strange.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
My memory of childhood is great. My first memory comes from when I was like 18 months old.

vossi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Same as countdown, no memories from before the age of 5 and very little from before the age of 10. And the things I do remember are "stories" in my family, like " the time when we replanted the garden, and vossi messed it up".. So.. I don't think those memories count.

N

NeverKnow

I don't think ABDLs really have more memories. I have maybe a couple vivid memories before the age of 4. My younger brother, we always joke, used to always preface anecdotes with "Back when I was 3, I..."

BigKid25

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I have a few clips of memories from before I was 4, but as the years progress (and I'm only 19) they become foggier and foggier to recollect.

And I agree with Neverknow. I don't believe we necessarily have more memories.

I think we have stronger feelings attached and/or associated with certain objects, actions, etc. but that doesn't mean we recall them more vividly than the average individual. It just means we're much more connected to those feelings.

cgh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I sometimes have a problem putting a timestamp of my memories. In other words I might remember something, but have no idea when it actually happened. It's like looking at a photograph which doesn't have a label and doesn't have any point of reference in it.

This makes it quite difficult to know if I have many memories from my early years. I do know that I have the odd memory from that time, but I don't think I have any more than most people. They can seem more vivid when I'm feeling regressed though.

gigglemuffinz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
My memories started around 4, with a few scatted earlier though none of them are the most vivid. I guess I sort of remember preschool pretty vividly, but going there was very scary for me. I've always had issues with memory though.

Still, this is a really interesting topic!

Braddeh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Truth be told, I don't actually remember that much from when I was 4 and under, I remember bits and pieces of it, but nothing solid. I've mainly repressed most of my life from 6 through to 11 due to how much I hated that time in my life and wanted to forget it.

But I actually got into AD/BL in part of how much I wanted to remember parts of that and even relive that better, less stressful and at some points more fun and carefree times in my life.

daLira

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I don't know if we have more childhood memories. My brain is kinda weird in this case. I can remember pretty much every "special" event, which occured over time back till the age of 2. Quite vivid too, however my memory lacks sounds and voices mostly, if i can't "connect" them with a picture, figuratively speaking.

Furthermore, don't ask me, what i've been doing last december, i can't remember, since nothing special happened. The last half from november works fine again on the other hand (some of my friends and my own birthday, short visit to the hospital...)

I can't deny, that i like my early childhood memories and that my little self is mostly based on this, since i'm still the same person. So it helps, kind of, but i don't know if i'm hanging onto more memories because of this.

Last edited:

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Most of my childhood memories are pretty much a bygone. At my age it has to really standout for me to remember them.

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Interesting question, but as I already see from the answers above, people vary dramatically in their ability to recall early childhood events. Also, it would make more sense to answer this question by attempting to correlate the recollection of memories in what I would call "natural" AB's or those people who can and do regress to an early state. Not everyone can or wants to do this.

In my own case, my earliest memory was when I was about 2.5 years old. I have other memories I can recall from that age till about six. Those would be my earliest memories from 2.5 to 6 years and there are many of them. Interestingly, I would consider myself not necessarily a natural AB, but a natural toddler or pre-k kid, which corresponds to those years.

wisefox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
My clear memoeries start at age 12 approx... I sometimes have a couple of flashbacks of before this age, but it's always pretty unclear.

I sometimes think that I'm an AB because of my lack of memories and I want to relive my childhood. may this be possible?

N

NeverKnow

I sometimes think that I'm an AB because of my lack of memories and I want to relive my childhood. may this be possible?
That is a possibility. I think early early childhood is a blur for most people... and maybe the couple memories we have cause us to fixate on it, and as we grow and see babies, idealize it.

I don't know if babies really feel a supreme sense of comfort in, for instance, being helplessly taken care of - that would be a pretty abstract feeling. But that's what a lot of us value when we regress. Maybe in slightly later childhood (4-6), we see infants and toddlers and try to imagine what they feel, and accordingly place value in those years. ABDL has many sources, but this seems like a possibility for some people to me.

WoodlandWanderer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I sometimes have a problem putting a timestamp of my memories. In other words I might remember something, but have no idea when it actually happened. It's like looking at a photograph which doesn't have a label and doesn't have any point of reference in it.

This is exactly what I have, but others get confused when I try to explain it. Anything that occurred more than a year or two ago is just "the past" I remember a large number of events but unless there is something time-specific in it I have no way of placing the date. So I can obviously place in time something that happened at school, and usually to the year, but a holiday or trip out a long time ago I can't date. As a matter of interest do you have a good visual memory? I just wondered if they are related.

Evidently it is then hard to say if I have lots of young childhood memories! I know I have some from when I was 2 or perhaps even younger, and I suspect I have more, but I've no way to tell. The only reason I know is because I recognised having been to a place before and my parents said I was only 2 the last time. I was as surprised as them because the memory is as clear as one from age 6 or 7.

I do remember places and faces very well, if I've met a person before I will recognise them if I meet them again, even many years later.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I was adopted at the age of two, and I've racked my brain trying to remember anything before that, trying to remember my original parents, or being at the adoption agency, but I can't. I do seem to remember some larger room with wainscoting which is painted green, but that's about it.

I do have a vague memory of being put in a crib and even where the crib was in my new home, after I was adopted. I also have a vague memory of being changed, but it may be a false memory. I do remember my first bedroom very well however, but we moved from that house when I was 8. I can remember the first furniture I had as a kid, my first teddy bears and even some of my first toys.

I can remember having one of those "clack clack" wooden dogs that you pulled with a string, but I was probably about 4. That's where most of my memories begin, but I have a lot of them. I can remember that my bedroom was painted robin's egg blue, my bed and headboard, and my Hopalong Cassidy alarm clock, as well as a radio which I had. For me, I think there is a relationship to the importance of these early memories, and wanting to return to them, thus my return to diapers and baby clothes.

KidY

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
We moved town when I think I was three years old. I can distinctly remember our first visit to the empty flat, including some sticker on the bathtub that I probably only saw once or twice - the tub, like everything in the flat, was brand new and the house freshly built. I have only hazy impressions of situations or moments before that point - no words, extended experiences, people etc. I have good memories (though not only positive ones) of the time between that and my first day at school.
I remember several things about many people (adults and kids), places, rooms, games, activities, dialogues, feelings, even particular days. I can recollect a couple of things about several people I have never again met or talked about since I left kindergarten.
From what I have learned when I talked to others about early childhood, this is probably not exceptional, but still a better memory of one's early years than most have.

However, this probably comes from me being a person who thinks and ponders a lot more than others, which I already was back then.

I can buy into the idea that ABDLs tend to have more childhood memories, because memory is something that you stabilize by using it. It could be that ABDLs try to remember their childhood days more often, thus preventing they forget as much of it as others do.
Since there are ABDLs who had particularly bad childhood experiences, I wouldn't be surprised if you really can't generalize that, on the other hand.

stormchaser

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I would suspect being into ABDL and having early memories are unrelated for the most part. I for one can actually remember quite a bit from when I was younger, and I'm sure other people on this site do to. But I don't think its going to be much different from the average population. Reading through the comments so far seams to confirm this as well.

EmilyL

#cuteandadorable Little
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Childhood amnesia is said to prevent the remembrance of memories from before the ages of 2-4 years old. It is my understanding that memories from that time are still available in the mind, albeit disconnected from one's conscious thought; inaccessible. However, unlike the "normal" population, we regress into a state in which we may use the parts of our brains connected with these inaccessible memories, essentially allowing the potential for these memories to become accessible again.

On more than one occasion I have recalled memories of events happening at the house I lived in until I was 2, which according to family members are consistent with actual events (their explanations of the events actually increased the vividness of what I had experienced).

Using the comparison of an ABDLs having 'more' early memories than a non ABDL is somewhat problematic, as we have no other person's memories to directly compare our own to. Aside from this, would you say you have remarkably vivid memories of your young childhood, or have exposed any long lost memories from long ago while regressing?

Happy childhood here with select memories of me walking out of the bathroom and into my mom's room butt naked besides a towel over my body and freezing cold. I got dried off as I lay on a towel on her bed and had baby lotion applied to me. At the same time I was playing with the baby powder until she needed it and then it was into a diaper I went. I don't remember too much on what that specific diaper felt like, but I remember this scenario so vividly. Ironically it wasn't until a few months ago I even cared to do AB stuff.

Frogsy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I remember being in my crib. My mother had trouble believing that I remembered that, so I showed her exactly where in the room the crib was (a different place than my bed was put) and she was floored. I told her how I slept in it, and she was also amazed. I used to sleep face down with my bottom up for some reason, but haven't done that since I was a baby or since I had a bed. I also showed her where the changing table was, and again I was correct. I have memories of being in my walker, before I could walk. But I was a late walker - I didn't walk until 17mos old. So those memories very likely were after 12 mos age. I doubt I could remember before 12 months old.

I don't have full recall or anything, and we're talking maybe a collection of 10 or so memories and no more, but I believe I have that strange lack of full childhood amnesia. I definitely have childhood amnesia from before age 1, though.

edit, clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.