Discovering Store Diaper Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan2127

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Hey, so im just wondering if anyone else out there has actually gotten to a point where going diaper buying in stores is fun/thrilling? If so, share your experience?!

Might sound insane for the newbies but over time you start to realize that it isnt even bad at all!

I live in toronto, ontario with thousands of different stores, so discovering new brands is possible. so far (presidents choice sleepover pants 125lbs, parents choice nighttime pants 125lbs) Goodnite generics!
I just disguise myself with an outfit i never wear, put a toque on and no one will ever recognize me.

What i do when i go into a store is head straight for chip aisle. Put a bag of chips into the basket. Then walk around and find diaper aisle. Once im in diaper aisle, dont make eye contact with anyone just focus on what you want to buy. grab ones that you want and put in basket under bag of chips (To cover up the diapers until your at checkout) Sometimes i will go into a store just to see what diapers they have,if theres nothing new or something i havent seen before then i just leave! simple!

When I started out, buying in stores was an awful, mortifying experience. Over time, I acclimated and it became exciting and fun because I had this big secret as I got what I wanted. Over even more time, I realized that the number of people who cared what I was buying was really, really small. That took a lot of the excitement out of it and I was left with only the immediate gratification.

Unfortunately, there's no longer any reliably obtainable diaper that I want retail, so I'm stuck with online ordering or going up to ABU's warehouse to pick up. I really can't complain but I do miss the thrill sometimes.

ryan2127 said:
Hey, so im just wondering if anyone else out there has actually gotten to a point where going diaper buying in stores is fun/thrilling?

Not anymore, mostly because virtually all store brands left are the variation of prevails refastenable tabs, in my experience the tellers don't even bat an eye. What I miss was the period when there still were variations between grocery stores and some actually were good and very comfortable vs some that felt like you were taping on a garbage bag over paper towels.

A decade ago I used to get a thrill out of the challenge of buying adult and baby diapers at area stores. For the most part it was not an issue but there were a couple times that were stressful and became proud to have overcome.
Sadly baby and store brand diapers just don't do the trick for me so I only buy quality diapers online now.

I haven't bought any Goodnites in the grocery store in a long time as it's easier and cheaper to order them through Amazon. I still buy J & J nighttime baby lotion, Aveeno baby lotion and baby oil and J & J Head to Toe wash at the grocery store, and it's always fun. It's sort of a rush when I buy two different baby products the same trip.

I switched to pull-ups recently (from guards / pads) and buy them 16 at a time from CVS. So several times a week. I notice the same few employees each time and I know they remember me because they all double bag my pull-ups now, and I only asked the first time. It doesn't give me a rush but I do feel a combination of satisfaction and embarrassment lol

- - - Updated - - -

When I first started wearing pads / guards again I tried to be discrete the first few times but after it became a chore I stopped caring. By the time I started wearing pull-ups a few months ago I it was something I didn't think about. I usually buy wet-wipes at the same time and since I still sometimes wet the bed (anytime I drink more than a few beers) I sometimes have to buy diapers which also means buying powder. It's obvious I'm buying everything for me lol. What is weird is I feel very embarrassed whenever I buy diapers but not at all when I'm checking out with pull-ups or pads. Funny.

inconsurferdude said:
I switched to pull-ups recently (from guards / pads) and buy them 16 at a time from CVS. So several times a week. I notice the same few employees each time and I know they remember me because they all double bag my pull-ups now, and I only asked the first time. It doesn't give me a rush but I do feel a combination of satisfaction and embarrassment lol

Well don't feel alone, had some conversations with my med supply store sales person so that she has my attends poly briefs ordered... have some ocassional shouts there that are a little embarrassing "Oh yes got yours ordered there over here" "NO ITS NOT THE PULLUPS HE GETS, IT'S THE DIAPERS"

Ages ago I was mortified when I had run-ins with clerks like that. Today I'd find it amusing.

Incident #1: Back in the days before disposables, I ordered plastic pants and things from the Sears medical catalog and had them delivered for store pickup (so they didn't come to my apartment where my roommates were). One order clearly had an item adult diapers (cloth). The girl at the catalog desk insisted on opening up the opaque outer packaging to "make sure things were OK." I suspect she was just curious as to what adult diapers looked like. Kinda cute too. Wish I had been more self-confident. Could have had a discussion with her about it.

Incident #2: Back when you could by attends in the better drug stores had a clerk hold up the bag and shout to the next register "Is there tax on these?"

Indident #3: (this was after I got relaxed about it): Bought a package of depends and a box of baby wipes. Girl at the counter asks how old my baby was. I point at the depends and said that they were both for me. Her turn to be embarrased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back