Disabling Rep/Reporting in Closed Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Going back to look at some older threads, long closed, I noticed you can still use the 'reputation' and 'report post' icons. Would it be of any benefit, if even possible, to disable those functions on threads that have been closed for ANY reason? I guess the main question is, does having them still active on locked threads cause any problems with mods getting unnecessary report notices, or members possibly getting slammed with added negative rep for a bad post, when the thread should only serve as part of the forum archives once locked? Doesn't seem like those functions would serve any purpose once the thread is in archive mode.

Not sure if this is even an issue, but thought I'd ask anyway. Hope my questions make some kind of sense.

~Pramrider

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
We hardly have any reported posts as it is and even if a thread is closed there can be stuff that has to be done to it and the report button is the easiest way of letting us know. For instance if you want to have certain information removed and you can't edit it anymore due to the fact that you can't edit posts in closed threads, that's something we can't see if we close it. Also people can close their own threads or it can be automatically closed due two negreps to the OP post, then stuff can be thus bad that posts need to be removed so the report button can still be useful.

Even after a thread is closed you are still responsible for what you said so the rep should also stay available (in my opinion)

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I agree with Martin. Rep (to users) is, as far as I know, occasionally reviewed and edited, to remove unfair or other inappropriate rep (+rep clubs, meta-games etc.)

If an old post deserves + or - rep, so be it. As long as there is oversight, activity, even in lost or forgotten corners of Adisc enriches the site as a whole, like mining veins of ore previously thought to be exhausted. Some old information can have value, and it is nice that it not be lost.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I am for the disabling of rep in closed threads. I won't even begin to count the number of neg-reps that I've gottten from closed threads.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Darkfin: Give me 1 reason why you shouldn't still be responsible for what you have said in closed threads?

Plus people can close their own threads so that would open a way to prevent rep from posts.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of someone who did or said something inappropriate in the past, got his/her share of neg rep punishment for it, but has made amends since then and is now a respected member. In that case, he/she shouldn't keep getting beat down, having that error from the past keep coming back to bite them indefinitely. In all fairness, it just seems like there should be a cutoff point in time when the offender has not done anything else wrong since. Like getting a speeding ticket once and then having a clean driving record afterwards. The citation only stays on the books for 2 years (in MD) and then the slate is wiped clean.

Then again, I can see the point of keeping the icons active when someone could post something inappropriate and then self-close their thread in an attempt to escape getting well deserved neg rep for what they wrote.

As I mentioned in the first post, just thought I'd ask. I can see where it could be good in one way, but bad in another. Giving it some additional thought, I guess this would be a case best presented in the Request Forum, that is to have an old post removed which keeps coming back to haunt you. Then it would be up to Moo or the Mods to look at the individual's record since the offending post to decide whether to honor a request to have it deleted.

~Pramrider

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of someone who did or said something inappropriate in the past, got his/her share of neg rep punishment for it, but has made amends since then and is now a respected member. In that case, he/she shouldn't keep getting beat down, having that error from the past keep coming back to bite them indefinitely. In all fairness, it just seems like there should be a cutoff point in time when the offender has not done anything else wrong since. Like getting a speeding ticket once and then having a clean driving record afterwards. The citation only stays on the books for 2 years (in MD) and then the slate is wiped clean.

~Pramrider
At risk of getting negrepped myself, we all should think before we post anything, otherwise, hey...we deserve what is ahead. It keeps us careful and humble, hopefully. I've tried to not post so much in the game threads since I have been negrepped for overrunning them, and quite frankly that might be deserved on other threads as well. No one likes an attention whore.

Also, it seems like being negrepped on a locked thread post would happen so sparsely that it wouldn't matter if you proved yourself enough to get a good amount of rep.

Finally, rep can be revoked, if I understand correctly, even in this case.

Leave everything as is.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Darkfin: Give me 1 reason why you shouldn't still be responsible for what you have said in closed threads?
By your logic, let's spank a child a few weeks -after- he broke the vase and got sent to his room for it. Just to teach him a lesson.

I think it should be removed. If the thread's closed, there's no reason for it to be reported as the mods have already given it proper attention. The same with rep.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I've tried to not post so much in the game threads since I have been negrepped for overrunning them, ...
That's surprising to hear, Footed P.J. I didn't think you were supposed to get repped in the game threads, either positively or negatively. Games are to be participated in, and since the posts don't even count in your total I don't see the reason to get gigged for too much participation.

~Pramrider

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
I think it should be removed. If the thread's closed, there's no reason for it to be reported as the mods have already given it proper attention. The same with rep.
[...]even if a thread is closed there can be stuff that has to be done to it and the report button is the easiest way of letting us know. For instance if you want to have certain information removed and you can't edit it anymore due to the fact that you can't edit posts in closed threads, that's something we can't see if we close it. Also people can close their own threads or it can be automatically closed due two negreps to the OP post, then stuff can be thus bad that posts need to be removed so the report button can still be useful.
[...]
---------------​
By your logic, let's spank a child a few weeks -after- he broke the vase and got sent to his room for it. Just to teach him a lesson.
What if it isn't noticed until a week later? Small Children might not be able to make the link if stuff are so far back but as much as most of us here want to, we aren't small children and IMO also be responsible for what they did, even if it isn't found out until a week later. There already is a timeout for rep. After a certain period you can't be repped for a certain post anymore (it still shows the rep button but it just gives you an error message IIRC)

Also if you get negged by a lot of people for 1 post bring it up in the request forum, I won't guarantee anything but I think something can be done about it (like having some of them become neutral)

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
In My opinion it should stay.
We should look at both faces of the medal. You could be neg repped for what you have said, but remember for another post in a closed thread you could be pos repped.

Plus, since there are a lot of newbies, in my opinion, if they want to rep a post posted when they weren't there they should be able to do it.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
That's surprising to hear, Footed P.J. I didn't think you were supposed to get repped in the game threads, either positively or negatively. Games are to be participated in, and since the posts don't even count in your total I don't see the reason to get gigged for too much participation.

~Pramrider
Good point. Very good point. I think it's just that double posting isn't allowed. Some rule on waiting three posts before you post again.

Game threads are a waste of time. lol. And I'm a hippocrate.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
For repping on old threads, (if it isn't like this already) I think that you can't rep old locked threads if you weren't a member then...That way new people don't just come in, and start neg repping old threads, when they weren't around when it was active

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Ahhh....if that's the case, that's the safeguard I was looking for. Thanks for enlightening me, Pojo. This is exactly what I was thinking - members who were around when the offending post/thread was made would have been in the position to, and most likely already passed appropriate judgement. If it truly works that way, new and future members can't dig up closed threads and continue to gig the originator long after the deserved punishment was meted out and amends made. They can only view these threads for what they are at that point - an archived reference. Oh, they might possibly take offense at what had been posted, but justice would have already been served by existing members.

~Pramrider

Role
Diaper Lover
When was the last time you posed someone on an old thread, I bet that its much more likely that you negged.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
What about setting a maxrep level (+ or -) per post? Would that not achieve the wanted effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.