Dirty Secrets about places you've worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Private
For privacy, you don't have to tell us specifically where you've previously / are currently working. Just some generic header will do, like "Restaurant" or "Clothing store".

Eh, I've worked in a variety of places and every one of them has had something wrong with it that's ensured they won't get my business.

Supermarket
  • For all perishable items, always check the best-before dates on them. Staff don't properly rotate the stock around, meaning the newer, fresher stock may not always be at the back, and vice-versa. This especially holds true for places that have a huge turnover in stock - often times management will tell staff not to rotate because they'll all be sold out in a week or so anyway.
  • Always be nice to the staff who work in the deli/cold meat section - they can take the stock out the back where *you can't see* what they do to it.
  • Fruits & Vegetables always come in with bugs crawling over them. Always. And stock sometimes arrives with rats who've half eaten a carton of something.
  • Don't even bother to ask the staff to check out the back for stock. In all likelihood, we'll go out there and kick a ball around for a few minutes and not even check, then come back and tell you that we've all sold out.
  • Unless it's about a theft or injury that's occurred, management does not care about what you have to say and will not take anything you say into account.

Cinemas
  • Unless you can see the popcorn being made, don't buy it. It's probably been sitting there all day, or is leftover from a previous day's trade (sometimes in storage for up to a month).
  • The staff honestly don't care if they let 10 year olds into R-rated films and only enforce it when managers are around.
  • When cleaning cinemas, finders-keepers applies.
  • We can see everything you get up to during the film, and yes that does include a game of one-hole golf in the back corner.
  • Don't ask us about the films. Most of us just work there for money and aren't actually film-buffs.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  • Fruits & Vegetables always come in with bugs crawling over them. Always. And stock sometimes arrives with rats who've half eaten a carton of something.
  • Unless it's about a theft or injury that's occurred, management does not care about what you have to say and will not take anything you say into account.

I had a hard enough time eating most of the produce as it is. I didn't need to hear that!

And since when is it news that the management doesn't care about those white slips of paper you drop in a box? :p

• Unless you can see the popcorn being made, don't buy it. It's probably been sitting there all day, or is leftover from a previous day's trade (sometimes in storage for up to a month).
  • The staff honestly don't care if they let 10 year olds into R-rated films and only enforce it when managers are around.

Eurgh, I didn't know that about the popcorn. More reason to smuggle food in. I guess you don't really care if we do that, either, right?

And yeah, I got into some rated R movies when I was 12 or 13. Common knowledge man. Only the people who follow rules worry about ratings :rolleyes:

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
For privacy, you don't have to tell us specifically where you've previously / are currently working. Just some generic header will do, like "Restaurant" or "Clothing store".

Eh, I've worked in a variety of places and every one of them has had something wrong with it that's ensured they won't get my business.

. . .

Cinemas
  • When cleaning cinemas, finders-keepers applies.
  • We can see everything you get up to during the film, and yes that does include a game of one-hole golf in the back corner.
  • Don't ask us about the films. Most of us just work there for money and aren't actually film-buffs.

• Depends on the place. My theater throws out everything we've got at the end of the night, thank you. NOTHING that we sell was made more than five hours earlier. (And even then, we tend to throw that away half way through the day 'cause we know people will just bitch about it.)
  • Some of us don't, and some of us do. The manager part is true. But really, on Saturday night, most of us actually DO care, especially 'cause it's funny as hell to watch that eighteen year old who doesn't have his ID bitch at us. ^_^ You really wanna sneak in? Come to the theater on a Monday at around 9 or 10 pm. (21:00 or 22:00), by the time it's that late on a fucking Monday night, we don't give a shit. ^_^
  • Absolutey fuckin' true. :D I've found a total of like, 30 dollars so far. But if it's a real item (Cell phone, shirt, umbrella, camera, etc) it gets turned into the lost and found. If it's a wallet, it remains UNTOUCHED and turned it. Unidentified money is ours, though. :D
  • Just... Yes. We can also so the couple having sex, and the three that are laying across 3 seats making out, and that guy in the back jacking off... It was fucking Wall-E for god's sake!
  • Oh my god, yes.... "What's good?" is the worst fucking question ever! Grr.... I don't know! You're the one seeing a damn movie.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Supermarket
  • Fruits & Vegetables always come in with bugs crawling over them. Always.

I wouldn't be too worried if the bugs are alive, I'd be a lot more worried if the bugs were dead.
What killed them? Did they eat the veggies and then died? If I eat those veggies what will that do to my health?

I grow most of my own fruits and veggies; Organically, and bugs are a part of life, there will always be a little wildlife on fruits and veggies that are grown without pesticides. They are harmless. Extra protein anyone? LOL

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Restoraunt

-We'd spit in the food of the bitchy customers. It was very much like Waiting... Seriously, don't bitch at the people who prepare your food.
-Washing dishes usualy consisted of rinsing them slightly under cold water. Maybe soaking them if we had the time.
-And yes, we did make fun of almost every customer behind their backs. Especialy fat people and especialy people who came in five mins before we closed.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
The Supermarket section of a department store

- The rotating of food thing, that Lukie mentions is true. We call it FIFO (First In First Out), and I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people who actually do it. I work in the frozen foods/dairy, so I'm not sure if produce actually does it.

- The boxes that we open to stock the food get thrown and dropped a lot. In the mornings, we drop/throw the boxes in front of the freezers they go in. Also, the backstock (stuff that won't fit on the shelves) is always getting crushed, although we try to prevent it. I still stock it if it's crushed, because I'm sure someone would still buy it.

- Lots of people lie about where things are (because they don't know), or they pretend to search in the PDA's (to see if we have anymore in the back). I do the latter, as I wouldn't know where the things were even if we did have more.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Back when I worked at Domino's Pizza:

• Pizza dough was often left out when the freezer was broken(customers were not informed)
  • Large pizzas were made from medium dough sometimes(again, customers were not informed)
  • Employees made fun of people asking stupid questions(yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question), or calling the wrong store.

S

Secret

Hardware Store

+ Almost half of everything returned is thrown out unless its worth sending its weight back in shipping
+ The boss chooses the radio station not the employees so now typical hardware store grumpy old man customer have to listen to the top 10 station while looking for hammers and nails
+ We screw the customers over VERY badly with our prices

meh not much but still.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  • Just... Yes. We can also so the couple having sex, and the three that are laying across 3 seats making out, and that guy in the back jacking off... It was fucking Wall-E for god's sake!

Damn I want to see Wall-E now lol

leffykit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
Auto parts store

*If its an order item, we cant get hold of it no matter how close the supplier on screen is

*We can't give you damage repair quotes as the guy who does the paperwork is never in (we can all do it)

*the paint mixing computer doesnt work and if its on we dont have the right component paints to do yours..ever

*Checking the warehouse for stock means we get a tea/toilet break and a quick chat with whoever's on break.

*If its not on the shelf we dont have it in, even if I have a whole carton of whatever it is out back

Bike shop

*most of the above

*I'll order that part in for you --(I'll leave it for someone else to order in six weeks time)

*The cheaper bikes are great deals and only half price because we sell so many (they're made by the lowest bidder and break the day after guarantees expire)

*that squeak or grinding noise on the brakes is fine, it just needs to wear in

*your replacement brake discs are the old ones straightened with precussive maintenance and a vice

*there are never any build/ repair slots for the same day like the company says, we're booked for the next 4 days, even though tomorrow is empty

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Brand name computer tech support

Generally never bitch about anything to the person you're talking to, even if you know you have the right to. In 9 cases out of 10 it will lead to him delaying your service for as long as he can (and that can be a long time). If it's a software issue he'll just tell you to reinstall your OS instead of giving you the 2-minute fix. You'd be surprised in how many additional ways tech support can make the smallest things hell for you without violating the company rules and getting in trouble.

Also, never act like you know more about what's going on with your computer than the tech support guy. You most likely don't, and will receive the above treatment.

F

Falkio

Summer Camp:

Oh my god, where do I even begin? The amount of drama between the Staff and the Management sector was unbelievable. I remember times when the Director got so pissed that he called a "group discussion" only to vent for like 20 minutes. My friends and I clapped when he was finished, which earned me a week on Ranger Staff. One of the worst jobs you'll ever have to do. Unless of course, you're Mike Rowe. The cabins were old and not structurally sound. Our barge is also falling apart. The most exciting times were when we snuck out of camp to the town of Lakeshore. Everyone that went usually purchased tons of candy at the general store.

We had problems with loud music, night parties, male-female staff relationships, tripwires, LDS religious people, rival camp pranking, and bears. The kind of things you face palm at because you can't believe that they *actually* happen. Marvelous fun though! There were secrets over just about anything. For instance, the trading post clerk got caught with a female staff member (both 17) after hours in a tent.

By far the most outrageous thing we did was a Christmas themed party that ended up in the city newspaper months later. Somebody I know personally (over 18) got a blow-up doll as a gag from his visiting girlfriend. When I read the article, I was speechless. All I could think to say was, "Wow...I went to that party."

Best time of my life.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Stuff labeled "made in America!" while they are actually made in Mexico. Some store owners just simply can't buy American made good otherwise places like Wal-mart and Costco would have way better prices, they also get most of their stuff from other nations as well.

spankwall2

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Summer Camp:

Oh my god, where do I even begin? The amount of drama between the Staff and the Management sector was unbelievable. I remember times when the Director got so pissed that he called a "group discussion" only to vent for like 20 minutes. My friends and I clapped when he was finished, which earned me a week on Ranger Staff. One of the worst jobs you'll ever have to do. Unless of course, you're Mike Rowe. The cabins were old and not structurally sound. Our barge is also falling apart. The most exciting times were when we snuck out of camp to the town of Lakeshore. Everyone that went usually purchased tons of candy at the general store.

We had problems with loud music, night parties, male-female staff relationships, tripwires, LDS religious people, rival camp pranking, and bears. The kind of things you face palm at because you can't believe that they *actually* happen. Marvelous fun though! There were secrets over just about anything. For instance, the trading post clerk got caught with a female staff member (both 17) after hours in a tent.

By far the most outrageous thing we did was a Christmas themed party that ended up in the city newspaper months later. Somebody I know personally (over 18) got a blow-up doll as a gag from his visiting girlfriend. When I read the article, I was speechless. All I could think to say was, "Wow...I went to that party."

Best time of my life.

yep and geuss what the admin has its on drama

F

Falkio

yep and geuss what the admin has its on drama

^
I don't quite get what you meant.

In saying "Staff", I meant the general camp employees. Management is much different. The camp director, program coordinator, and financial person are all in a different league.

I also meant this as in real life - not online with mods and admins. :D

Role
  1. Other
when dealing with hecklers at arby's (roast beef/fast food joint) some of my coworkers would, in the event of a bit cheese falling on the ground, complete an arbys melt by just smearing the sandwich onto the floor, where the fallen cheese had previously resided ><

Lukie said it best: do not fuck with the people that handle your food, especially behind the curtains.

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Private
I've seen steaks dropped on the floor and washed and cooked off like nothing happened...

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
When I worked at Tim Hortons i was powdering some doughnut pieces, and dropped some one the floor. I immediately yelled out "10-second rule" so that I could be heard out front. The manager on duty came running back saying "There's no 10-second rule in food service" but alas, it was too late, they were already in the powder. Also, we used to keep the "blanks" (unfinished doughnuts that we could finish if we ran out of anything in the evening) we kept in the back near an open door and sometimes we'd find flies buzzing around them. I never ate doughnuts in the summertime.

When I worked at Subway, the meat would come pre-packaged and pre-sliced and be all greasy and gross.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Computer repair... Oh god, where to start...

At the store I worked at they actually had a copy of the Geek Squad CD, which is a collection of autopilot scripts and programs that does all of the diagnostic work for you. Once it found the problem we just went and fixxed it in minutes and then charged the customer 50+ dollars for labour.

We would give someone a new antivirus that cost around 40+ dollars even while they had a perfectly good AV on their computer already.

If it was a software problem like with Nortan we would tell them they had a corrupt hard drive and sell them a new one.

Also, if we didn't like you don't expect to have your computer back for another few months, but if we liked you, we'll take your money but you'll have your machine back that afternoon.

Typing this on my itouch so, yeah sorry for any typos..

Status
Not open for further replies.