digital cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

annierighthurr

I'm going to buy a new camera this week, woot!
I'm still rocking a 3.2 megapixel dinosaur from 2004 and I am wayy excited to get a new camera. I figure I will spend around $100-200 since I really don't need anything fancy. I'll probably buy it at best buy for what it's worth.

Any suggestions? Tips?
wasnt sure what board to put it on but figured at least one of you might have some ideas for me.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I recently upgraded from my old 3.2 megapixel Fuji from around 2004 to a Canon SD630. I bought it used from my sister who was upgrading, and I love this camera. So.... my recommendation is Canon :) From what I've been told they have some of the best point and shoot cameras. Otherwise I don't know much else about cameras >_<.

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've no idea about digital cameras. I actually need to buy one at some point. Or repair my old 8mpx one. :/

Although I have heard Kodak has a good name as far as quality goes, if that's any help..

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
W just replaced our old Nikon with a Fuji Finepix F50 12 Megapixel. So far, so good. Battery life is much better with the specialty camera battery than with the AA's the old Nikon used. It also does automatic redeye correction and does a really good job of it. Also, check out Consumer Reports at your local library. Their ratings are usually pretty good. If they would only rate diapers...

RobotRock

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
CANON CANON CANON! Great cameras and great picture quality. They're also very easy to use. I bought an SD750 a couple of years ago and still use it every now and then. I hear the new models are even better. I've moved up to a DSLR, 40D!
A few shots I took with the SD750

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I have the HP R937. It is SO basic, even my mother can use it. I really want a professional camera, like a Nikon D90 (1000USD). The HP R937 is kind of pricey, though. It has great battery life (rechargeable battery), 8MP, and the 3" touch screen controls everything.

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Number one... DO NOT buy a Kodak digital camera. They're rated the worst of what is out there. Kodak makes great film stock, but their cameras suck.

Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and Panasonic are all good brands... You really can't go wrong with anything from them. Panasonic's Lumix line (as well as Fuji's FinePix) is highly regarded as having a great feature set, produces great images for a P&S, at a lower price point than the competition. Sony makes decent cameras, but you're paying a little more for the Sony label.

What you decide on will depend on what features are most important to you. Do you want something pocket sized, or do you want something with more optical zoom (which generally makes the camera bulkier)? Make sure the camera has optical image stabilization, and get the highest resolution you can for your money. I'd also stray away from cameras that use proprietary batteries, as they're a lot more expensive than AA rechargables, and you can't just stop at a 7-11 for more juice if you run out. On the topic of batteries, onboard recharging of AAs is a nice feature to have, too.

If it were my money, I'd get this:

FUJIFILM - FinePix 10.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - S1000fd

Keep in mind that it's about $30 cheaper online, minus whatever it'd be to ship.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't know too much about digital cameras...I can just name the two camera's I have, which I got from my grandad...Sony DSC F717 and Canon EOS SLR

The Canon is what I use to take all my cow pictures, so they have good quality as you can see here (yay for an excuse to show off my cow pics)

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
If you have the money, get a DSLR. You will never buy another camera in your life. I'm sporting my dad's old SLR from the early 80's, but I plan on moving up to a digital SLR sometime soon.

Course, these things usualy run 600-2000 $$, so it's def gonna cost more than 100$.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Sony has some excellent point and shooters Here are a couple of pics taken with my dsc-v3. It's a few years old but at 7.2 Mpix it's got some quality to it. The newer cameras are smaller, lighter, faster, and cheaper than mine was, so you can get a decent camera for under $250, easy. I have also heard good things about the Nikon point and shoot range.

RobotRock

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
If you have the money, get a DSLR. You will never buy another camera in your life. I'm sporting my dad's old SLR from the early 80's, but I plan on moving up to a digital SLR sometime soon.

Course, these things usualy run 600-2000 $$, so it's def gonna cost more than 100$.
There are many downsides for the average person when it comes to DSLRs. They are big and kind of a pain to lug around. A bit more complicated to use. More fragile. They aren't always welcome in various places. If photography really isn't something you're looking to invest in, then just get a point and shoot.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I'm going to buy a new camera this week, woot!
I'm still rocking a 3.2 megapixel dinosaur from 2004 and I am wayy excited to get a new camera.
KWYM Hypnotized. Still using an old fossil of a 2004 Kodak Easyshare 2.0 megapixel myself. Mainly use it for ebay selling. If you have specific uses for it, let the BB salesperson know. Hopefully, they'll be as knowledgable about digital cameras as the personnel at the BB my son worked at are, and can make some good suggestions.

~Pramrider

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
KWYM Hypnotized. Still using an old fossil of a 2004 Kodak Easyshare 2.0 megapixel myself. Mainly use it for ebay selling. If you have specific uses for it, let the BB salesperson know. Hopefully, they'll be as knowledgable about digital cameras as the personnel at the BB my son worked at are, and can make some good suggestions.

~Pramrider
Last week my sister went to Best Buy and asked for some video card or something so she could play Guitar Hero for her laptop. She specifically said, "I need one fore my laptop". The person handed her a piece of hardware that was just as big as her computer. (it was for a desktop)

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Last week my sister went to Best Buy and asked for some video card or something so she could play Guitar Hero for her laptop. She specifically said, "I need one fore my laptop". The person handed her a piece of hardware that was just as big as her computer. (it was for a desktop)
Yes, unfortunately employee knowledge isn't consistent across all the stores, that's why I added "hopefully". The manager of this particular store wouldn't hire someone if they didn't have some knowledge of electronic products or media, or, at the very least, show a sincere interest in learning. If the sales personnel don't appear to know which end is up with cameras, better to take some suggestions from knowledgable people here before plunking down your hard earned cash.

~Pramrider

Last edited:

2low

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
These were Mostly all taken on my Sony W100 8.1 mp
not Bad of a point and shoot camera
See for youself heres a few pics taken with it

Id say check out what sony has to offer they seem to have decent cameras for price right now ,

Last edited:

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Best affordable brands in cameras are probably Nikon and Canon... so any of either should be fine.

Here's a table:
Best image quality : Canon (color rendition, sharpness and noise)
Best low noise high ISO : Fuji
Best lenses : Canon, Nikon, Olympus
Largest market share : Canon

diapernh

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I have a Kodak M753 and a CD1013. I also have 3 Minolta SLR's (a Maxxum 450si w/ date back, a 400si - same as 450-but no date back, and a Maxxum 3xi) and have lenses from 28mm up to 210mm. I usesally have the 450 with color film, the 400 with T-max, and the 3xi with color film if i have it loaded.

I by far in low light like my SLR's they can handle low light, which the digitals cannot. Now if i bought a cheap flash unit I could use an optical slave on the digitals

Status
Not open for further replies.