Did your preschool allowed diapers and training pants?

Did your preschool allowed diapers and training pants?

• Total voters

bigtoddler96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
When you used to go to preschool as a kid, did your preschool allowed diapers and training pants? Being in preschool takes place just after toddlerhood, so there's likely going to be some kids that still have to wear diapers and training pants at preschool. For me, I went to a preschool that allowed diapers and training pants, since I remembered seeing diaper/training pant packages in one of the restrooms.

BabyHailey1977

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I went to catholic school from Kindergarten through third grade. One of the girls in my first grade class wore diapers. I remember being so jealous. I don’t know who else knew about it. Nobody talked about her. I saw them one day on the playground.

HootHootOwl

Hooty005
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
Hm, let's say I was in Kindergarten and 1st-2nd Grade. Some of my classmates wore diapers and they get changed by our teacher when they get wet. Though no one talked to them and they got bullied for not being potty trained, I just didn't cared about them nor I stood up when they got bullied.

Looking back, I think I should've stood up for them due to the fact it's kind of immature for someone to get bullied for wearing diapers.

KaleidoscopeKitty

Est. Contributor
I’m in the UK. Nurseries/ pre-schools etc aren’t legally allowed to ban children from being in diapers as that could be seen as disability discrimination; they can state a preference that children are toilet trained but they can’t enforce it. Not sure if that rule was in place when I was in preschool over 30 years ago though as I was already potty trained when I started pre-school and my memories of it are hazy and none diaper-based.

Last edited:

TabaCrate

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Where I live, you need to be potty-trained to go to public school, but you must be at least 4 to start.

When I was 3.5, despite being quite mature, I had to go to preschool. It was probably my best year in early learning. I didn't forget details of this period.

1) they were pushing our creativity in an incredible way, it was a real pleasure to go there
2) some of the kids were wearing diapers and I clearly remember being jealous to see them changed with so much love and care. Being potty trained at around 1.5, it was already 2 years I didn't get so much attention for such thing and knew I was already arrracted by diapers and being diapered...

littlepupty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Mine didn't, they required that all kids preschool age had to be potty trained. Despite getting in at a younger age due to needing speech therapy I wasnt exempt from that rule and I remember having a few accidents that required going to the nurses office to get a change of clothes.

oldpppants

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Back in the 50s, stay-home moms had pretty much everyone potty trained well before preschool.

oldpppants

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
oldpppants said:
Back in the 50s, stay-home moms had pretty much everyone potty trained well before preschool.
That being said, I remember in the first grade there was a girl who I suspect might have still been in diapers, what I remember is how she smelled.

Reactions: BabyHailey1977

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
KaleidoscopeKitty said:
I’m in the UK. Nurseries/ pre-schools etc aren’t legally allowed to ban children from being in diapers as that could be seen as disability discrimination; they can state a preference that children are toilet trained but they can’t enforce it. Not sure if that rule was in place when I was in preschool over 30 years ago though as I was already potty trained when I started pre-school and my memories of it are hazy and none diaper-based.
^This.^

For some background before answering, there is more to this info but for a basic breakdown.

In the UK early years education is broken into 3 age groups which define the minimum ratio of staff to children a setting must have for each group:
Infant (birth to 2yo, 1 adult to 3 children), Toddler (2yo, 1 adult to 4 children) and preschool (3-5yo, 1 adult to 8 children).
If a child turns 4 before the school year starts in september they will usually move from a preschool into a primary schools "reception" class. (there are some finicky points where a child moves up later in the school year)

While some schools will have an attached Preschool which takes children at 3+ (some may take younger) it is generally intended for children who will move into the same primary school at the right age, but lots of schools don't have this.

The other options for early years care besides nannies (employed by a family at their own home) and childminders (individuals who provide care in their home for smaller numbers of children) are.
Private Nurseries, who will take children usually from 3 months up to 5 years.
Or Children's Centers (essentially the same as a nursery but they receive additional government funding and provide other services like health care clinics and parental training).

Now to the question. I'm not 100% sure about nannies and childminders, they may or may not be able to refuse to take on a child still in nappies as a policy but they would still have a legal duty of care to change a child left in their care that wets/soils themself either in a nappy or pants.

Preschools, nurseries, children's centers and schools however have no legal standing to deny admitting a child due to still wearing a nappy, it is outlined in the "equality act 2010". which states that schools "must not discriminate against disadvantaged or disabled children or children with special educational needs" further in the document it describes a delay in achieving continence as a disability.

Furthermore the "children and families act 2014" requires that schools support pupils with medical needs including continence, bladder and bowel problems.

So for preschool care, Yes pretty much everyone has to accept children in nappies but different settings may have different policies on when they start potty training and how strongly they push for it.

And at school age again Yes schools must accept those children and support them. It is quite commonly, wrongly, believed by parents that school teaching staff are not allowed to child nappies and worry that they will constantly be called in to do it themselves or the child left to change themselves but this is not true the staff have a duty of care to clean and change the children in their classes, if not the teacher then a supporting staff member or nurse.

bambinobaby

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I distinctly remember a couple kids who were diapered. One was a girl who was diapered before nap time. I remember being very jealous and often made a point of being in the bathroom with her when she had her diapers put on. She lived up the street from me...and though we weren't friends, I often visited her older brother. I distinctly remember her diapers being on full display in the hallway. The next year of pre-school, the twin brother of my best friend in pre-school was in diapers 24/7. I remember plenty of his diaper changes and being oh so jealous!

LilByte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Pre-school did not allow diapers/pullups. Had to be potty trained and able to wipe your self. (was first time i recall having to wipe myself and not have an adult confirm i'd wiped enough)

Pre-k (in elementary school building, same age as pre shool so parents picked wich one to send kids to) They didn't care if you were potty trained and I heard many were not from there, but I was in pre-school not pre-k..

Everything in elementary and up didn't require you to even be conscious. Due to "know kid left behind" policy in the US. The severely disabled tho were taken out of the room for special ed during some classes. I left public school after first grade tho, so I don't know what was like after that.
(and no i don't mean only the severely disabled were taken to special ed, i was in special ed myself some, I'm just saying they were taken out of class allot to there to feed/change them and deal with what ever other needs they had i guess.)

To my knowledge you have to be professionally diagnosed to be in diapers in school as non potty training someone capable and past normal age can be seen as child abuse as far as I'm aware.
I never directly saw diapers at any point that I can recall during school. And I only recall one or two kids having accidents and janitor having to clean the floor.

Lyric

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't recall preschool existing when I was that age, but I did have to wear diapers and rubber pants through the first grade until I was finally day time potty trained. Still wet my bed though and had to be diapered at night until I was 17. My first grade teacher told my mother the school would not allow me to continue into the second grade if I wasn't potty trained.

BabyHailey1977

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
oldpppants said:
That being said, I remember in the first grade there was a girl who I suspect might have still been in diapers, what I remember is how she smelled.
Me too. I remember a girl in my first grade class too

OldTerry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Yes as I wore cloth nappies and rubbers
However as a result I was in the special educational needs department although my learning ability was normal level but I needed more personal attention

BabyTweetyBird

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I wore both cloth and disposables regularly in the kindergarten since they were allowed by preschools, even if I was already potty trained.

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Europe in the 70ies: Only Potty-Trained Kids were allowed to Kindergarten. That put quite a pressure on Parents and Kids. We were put on a Potty to minimize the accidents. Yes, i missed my nappies from the first day.

Reactions: BabyTweetyBird

enigmatic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I went to preschool part time and wore pull-ups there. So technically, yes. But it didn't have a changing table.

BunnyFofo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
35 years ago, before I started kindergarten I was in something called "Daycare".
I guess that would be preschool now.
I was out of diapers/training pants myself by then and I don't remember any kids that weren't, so I have no idea if they were allowed or not.

DanElmontan

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was in preschool from 1980-1982 and remember that one kid was still in Pampers.

I was attracted to wearing diapers even at the age of 4 and I recall at least 2-3 times when I would go to his cubby and take a diaper and put it on, but get caught by the teacher each time.

Prime69

DL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was still in diapers when I went to preschool. As far as I know I was the only one in my class who was. It was a combination preschool/daycare, so they were equipped for diaper changes. When everyone would line up to use the potty, they would take me over to the daycare side and the lady would change my diaper if needed. My pampers were kept over there. I would climb up/ be helped up on to the changing table and get changed. I know I pooped there a few times, but I tried not to. It was embarrassing to be sniffed out and changed. I had full control at that point, but sometimes I couldn’t/didn’t want to hold it. Looking back I prob should have been out of diapers, but I didn’t want to be.
I don’t remember being treated any different about it. I don’t think kids that age really care that much. Although I do remember that other kids would tell the teacher I stunk sometimes. Most likely when I had pooped my diaper. I’m sure they all knew I wore diapers. Those 80’s pampers where very obvious. They were so puffy and crinkly. I wasn’t treated any different besides diaper changes though. I wasn’t babyish in any other ways there really. I actually met my best friend there, and we are still friends today.