Diapers in Hospital

The hospitals I went to for surgery all preferred I brought my own supplies, one even didn't have diapers they said. Only pads.
Before entering the OR I did have to remove the pullup they made me wear instead of a diaper, but they said not to worry since I'm lying on an absorbable pad, and when I would wake up I'd have a catheter inside anyway (it was an endoscopic surgery, sphincterotomy)

Larger hospitals have diaper supplies but still prefer you use your own if you have them with you, because theirs are low end, more used to be changed every 2 - 3 hours for people with both bowel and urinary incontinence.
But it is a good idea to mention this to the nurse that writes down your info when you are assigned to your room. They need to know it in case they need to change you when you're unable to or place proper protection on the operating table etc.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, nwm and (deleted member)
IncontinentGamerGal said:
Hospitals typically don't seem to care but one thing I can tell you is when I was getting a catheter in and being taught ISC, they told me pullups are best for active people, and they heavily suggested briefs are for wheelchair bound or people with mobility issues. I know most people seem to repeat that sentiment in the healthcare system depending on the severity. What was ironic is the pullup they gave me was WORSE than the store boughts..
yeah the nurse also tried to convince me pullups are more comfortable than diapers etc but when I told her I leaked constantly she understood, however since I didn't drink fore than 12h prior to surgery that was no big deal.
But pullups just don't do it, I'd need to use 6 - 8 / day and that's very expensive compared to a good quality diaper 3 - 4 times a day

Reactions: AttilaThePun, furry121, Pino and 1 other person
abdl86 said:
Wow kind of a strange question to ask if you wear a diaper. Was it because you was so nervous?
I guess they see a lot of diapers in there because of the prep. So that was probably her natural response to me saying what I did. First time I’ve ever discussed diapers with anyone.

I tried talking to my wife about it once and she shut me down. She didn’t want anything to do with it. She knows I wear them, but we don’t talk about them. She’s tried to shame me in public a couple of times, and I had to shut her down on that, so we just don’t talk about it anymore. Hence why I’m on this sight, so I can converse with like minded people about it.

• Wow
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Subtlerustle and neophyte
Rearzlover said:
I guess they see a lot of diapers in there because of the prep. So that was probably her natural response to me saying what I did. First time I’ve ever discussed diapers with anyone.

I tried talking to my wife about it once and she shut me down. She didn’t want anything to do with it. She knows I wear them, but we don’t talk about them. She’s tried to shame me in public a couple of times, and I had to shut her down on that, so we just don’t talk about it anymore. Hence why I’m on this sight, so I can converse with like minded people about it.
Ouch. I hope she wasn’t trying to out you in your social circle.
I think I’ll try the diaper backup when I do my next prep. I’ve only done it once and since I’m not into intentionally messing I didn’t wear but damn, there is a lot of puckering for a cleanse. 😧

Reactions: AttilaThePun
I am gonna probably say something unpopular but I do not care what nurses and doctors think of my abdl diapers. I have wore them several times to procedures and I do it because appointments make me nervous. Diapers are my comfort item and if that isnt understood than it isnt my problem. I am very respectful with my need for diapers but no way in hell am i going to actively hide it from people that are there to help me.

• Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun, perlFerret and nwm
BearTale said:
I am gonna probably say something unpopular but I do not care what nurses and doctors think of my abdl diapers. I have wore them several times to procedures and I do it because appointments make me nervous. Diapers are my comfort item and if that isnt understood than it isnt my problem. I am very respectful with my need for diapers but no way in hell am i going to actively hide it from people that are there to help me.
Same point I have been getting at for quite some time. Just so happens I am ic - but either way, they are not going to much care...

All in all diapers are just part of their job. It was never an issue or cause for wonder that I had them on me. Although there were some unique diaper situatiuons over the course of years involving medical staff. The question for need is always asked out of professionality. Incontinence is not a disease on it's own it is a symptom that can be caused by a multitude of malfunctions/diseases/conditions. So maybe you suffer from multiple sclerosis? Makes sense that they would want to know. It is a rightful question aimed at your well-being. It's not asked because wearing a diaper is awkward for them.

Cheers

Reactions: AttilaThePun and nwm
I had a nurse walk in on me as i was pulling my Abena M4 down whilst in a gown, she didn't say anything and administered the enema that was the reason for her visit.

Judging by the state of my diseased bowel on scoping she wouldn't of been in any doubt of my needs.

woolyDL said:
I had a nurse walk in on me as i was pulling my Abena M4 down whilst in a gown, she didn't say anything and administered the enema that was the reason for her visit.

Judging by the state of my diseased bowel on scoping she wouldn't of been in any doubt of my needs.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

At my local hospitals if you have any reason you maybe are unsteady on your feet or are getting peas and carrots in your arm or have any kind of telemetry hooked to you they will offer you diapers and unlimited changes rather than risk you fall , so when I could sorta walk with assistance , I still wore the tennis’s ball yellow bracelets but being incontinent I am always an admission note of diapers required.

Making your preference known once will probably get your EHR flagged so they always routinely diaper you on admission .

They are more than happy anytime an adult will willingly wear a diaper without the awkward nurses conversation of arm twisting that you realy should be diapered that the patient denies denies denies .

They will never call them diapers euphemisms all the way because diaper is fighting words for many adults . Knowing that I consider it a challenge to manipulate every hospital employee into having to call it a diaper at sometime each “Visit” I am also a person with a disability so I go to “health jail” more than I would like .

Tetra said:
They will never call them diapers euphemisms all the way because diaper is fighting words for many adults . Knowing that I consider it a challenge to manipulate every hospital employee into having to call it a diaper at sometime each “Visit” I am also a person with a disability so I go to “health jail” more than I would like .
I can remember that from LONG ago. No one bothers anymore with me though - they have known for years I actually do not like it when they try to avoid that word, and will use it myself so...

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Tetra
Tetra said:
In the hospitals here they bluntly call it a Pamper, which is our dialect for diaper, but they never try to soften it up, I often feel a bit embarrassed when they say that word but in the end they expect you to use the same word too so I had no choice but to get used to it.

• Thinking
winterheart01 said:
In the hospitals here they bluntly call it a Pamper, which is our dialect for diaper, but they never try to soften it up, I often feel a bit embarrassed when they say that word but in the end they expect you to use the same word too so I had no choice but to get used to it.
First I heard of that, guess it depends on where...And the reaction obviously the person (that I knew for I LONG time). Me personally, I NEVER liked any attempt to call it anything other than what it was (diaper, were you are pamper, nappy, whatever) - but then again - I actually was NEVER out of them (nerve damage since birth) that might by why, idk - just know for me it's basically, call them what they are, why not? - I do, and always have...

When I was in hospital, medical staff initiated that I use diapers ( Old plastic backed Tena Slip Super)after my leg operation. I first was very embaressed , but they explained me to just relax.

During my first half rehabilitation period, I was put in diapers and encouraged to have them on because going to toilet was slow motion first 2 weeks.

Felt weird, but also realized that in rehabilitation room I am only one who really stress about me being in diapers.

I have gastroparesis very bad. I have been in the hospital 6 or 7 times this year already and stay from 3 days to 8 days at a time. I have no control over my bladder and bowel IC once a week or so. The most of them never even ask anything but if they do its just things like how long have you had this and did they say what is causing it? I change my self 95% of the time but if I am just to damn sick and its messy then sometimes I ask for help. I always use my own diapers or pull ups because theirs suck horrible. Only 2 times have I ever had a nurse be rude or make a negative comment. I have bounced in and out of the hospital over 20 years now for different reasons. I use to get kidney infections like crazy and have hade infection of the blood stream so many times I cant count I even spent 2 weeks in ICU once because it got around my heart. But only 2 bad experiences. Most just want to know if you can take care of it yourself or if you need help. Most are very professional when they help. I only let them help me clean up when I do because I prefer to do my tapes myself as I like them very snug. If you have a rude nurse ask for the charge nurse and tell them. I hope that helps. Of course I wear out of need. If you tell them you are ABDL they might not be as understanding but I would just tell them you cant hold it. Best of luck feel free to PM me or reply if you have any questions.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and abdl86
winterheart01 said:
We use the terminology of 'brief' at my hospital about 97% of the time when referring to tabbed briefs [diapers] and 'underwear' for the pullups. We don't stock non-pullup/non-absorbent underwear though, so only having the two terms works to distinguish. A few of our CNAs say 'diaper' to refer to the briefs and there are a lot of times that the patient will then apologize for their incontinence. It's significant how much more frequently someone will apologize after hearing 'diaper' versus after hearing 'brief.' And so.. generally, it's better to use the term brief. It makes a majority of people feel less bad about the situation, one which they can't help.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun and winterheart01
Tetra said:
At my local hospitals if you have any reason you maybe are unsteady on your feet or are getting peas and carrots in your arm or have any kind of telemetry hooked to you they will offer you diapers and unlimited changes rather than risk you fall , so when I could sorta walk with assistance , I still wore the tennis’s ball yellow bracelets but being incontinent I am always an admission note of diapers required.

Making your preference known once will probably get your EHR flagged so they always routinely diaper you on admission .

They are more than happy anytime an adult will willingly wear a diaper without the awkward nurses conversation of arm twisting that you realy should be diapered that the patient denies denies denies .

I replied to someone else slightly more extensively about terminology, but overall, even as someone who uses the term diapers here and to myself in denoting what I enjoy wearing, I use the term 'briefs' when mentioning the item around patients in the hospital. It makes most patients feel less bad about their need for them and, as I am their nurse, I'm going to use the euphemism since I've seen a direct link between many people's discomfort about wearing and term.. even if I don't, personally, give a shit about euphemisms and would call them what they are if it didn't have a noticable and negative impact to do so.

I know it's small, seems super minor, sure, but also, maybe.. please don't try to manipulate people? Especially the people that.. ya know, are there to care for you.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Tetra
I think that if medical personnel stopped using euphemisms then perhaps more people would become desensitized to the term diaper.

Back