Diapers greener than the Potty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Ya know... print that... the article from Men's health on how diapers help with bowel management... and that other article on how diapers are more sanitary than some public restrooms... you might have a better chance of convincing your parents that you aren't a total nutcase if they ever do find out.

I still think you'd get the same results from them.. but it is worth a shot.
You know I just checked this thread for new posts and this idea poped into my head WIKI!!! Put this artilce as a page on our Wiki.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
It was one of those "City beautification" things... like clothes are somehow unsightly when there is trash and graffiti and abandoned cars everywhere. Actually I recently read that residents in several cities are fighting to have the laws removed from the books... citing that it reduces electrical consumption and saves moeny and the environment.
Kind of reminds me of Victorian times in England when women would not hang out their underwear to dry because showing off your underwear would make other people think of them as a slut of some sort or something.
I fail to see, however, how clothes on a clothes line are any different from the same clothes being worn on a human being. You city lawmakers should have gone all the way and should have made any kind of clothes illegal :biggrin:

But then, if America didn't have those stupid laws...what would the rest of the world be laughing about? :(

Peachy

the0silent0alchemist

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Actually the problem with cloth diapers isn't the water used to wash them. It is the electricity used to dry them.

Electric clothes dryers are the #1 energy hogging household appliance. I would advocate the use of clothes lines... but hanging clothes outside is actually banned in many cities around here.
thats where cold fusion electricity comes in :D and YES its happened its not a myth. it works theyve reproduced it several times (several hundred more likely)

J

Jag

*adds to my list of hypocritical things that environmentalists say*
Well, my list is one fact longer.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Electric clothes dryers are the #1 energy hogging household appliance. I would advocate the use of clothes lines... but hanging clothes outside is actually banned in many cities around here.
yes thats why you have a garage :biggrin:

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I try to be eco friendly whenever possible myself, and I always felt really guilty for using diapers. Well not aways but the past 2 years I been aware of this. So now I do not feel so bad. I just wish they made a diaper that was bio-degradable AND a good absorbant, comfortable diaper.

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Hey all...

I just found this online... it's a little old... but pretty funny.

Adult diapers greener than toilets - Green Daily

Apparently using a diaper is better for the environment than using the toilet.

So... all you diaper users out there are doing your part to save the planet!

Enjoy!
Somehow... I find that hard to believe... unless they were maybe cloth diapers. Disposable diapers are outright horrible for the environment.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Somehow... I find that hard to believe... unless they were maybe cloth diapers. Disposable diapers are outright horrible for the environment.
Not if you really consider that the average American toilet uses 6 liters of clean water to flush. The larger toilets use 8... and I've seen some that use 10.

Figure you get two wettings into a thin diaper like Depends or Attends... that's 12 liters of water you just saved.

Now sure the used diaper is going to end up in some landfill... but for the most part the diaper will break down and the only thing that you are going to be left with is the milimeter thin plastic outer shell.

A lot of people forget that trash in landfills is constantly being moved around, compacted, run over by big machines, etc. A diaper in that environment will be in a million tiny pieces before very long... and we have a lot more space to put trash in than we do clean drinking water to go around.

SnowPrincessSophie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent
I heard from Harcoremickal that the UK Tesco brand started using corn starch which is from what I've heard, more biodegradable. Maybe they could start using corn starch for plastic, Tesco is a baby diaper brand for those of you who don't know.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent, , Private
I heard from Harcoremickal that the UK Tesco brand started using corn starch which is from what I've heard, more biodegradable. Maybe they could start using corn starch for plastic, Tesco is a baby diaper brand for those of you who don't know.
I read somewhere a little while ago about these semi-cotton pulp disposables that had some type of biodegradable equivalent to a plastic outter shell. The downside was it didn't have a superabsorbant because that would ruin their organic diapers being so eco-friendly. It was a small US brand.

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Not if you really consider that the average American toilet uses 6 liters of clean water to flush. The larger toilets use 8... and I've seen some that use 10.

Figure you get two wettings into a thin diaper like Depends or Attends... that's 12 liters of water you just saved.

Now sure the used diaper is going to end up in some landfill... but for the most part the diaper will break down and the only thing that you are going to be left with is the milimeter thin plastic outer shell.

A lot of people forget that trash in landfills is constantly being moved around, compacted, run over by big machines, etc. A diaper in that environment will be in a million tiny pieces before very long... and we have a lot more space to put trash in than we do clean drinking water to go around.
Merge these threads! :) http://www.adisc.org/forum/incontinence/3011-cheaper-diapers-than-not-o-o-3.html

Factor in the pulp mill's water consumption for production of bleached, ground cellulose fluff and the water consumption to produce petroleum products from crude oil (in this case, the outer shell of the diaper.)

This is not to mention the pollution each production facility generates.

What is needed is ever-expanding and improved gray water and waste water recycling. Having a rain barrel for your house gutters will allow you to water your garden and plants. Do dishes with it. Wash your car. :p

Biodegradable diapers are something we could have, for perhaps a few pennies more.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I fail to see, however, how clothes on a clothes line are any different from the same clothes being worn on a human being. You city lawmakers should have gone all the way and should have made any kind of clothes illegal :biggrin:

But then, if America didn't have those stupid laws...what would the rest of the world be laughing about? :(

Peachy
Everything that George Bush has done to the world:frown:

Klokwork

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Yeah, diapers are better for the environment, just like plastic bags used to be better than paper. Now It's the other way around. It's like something out of 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.