diapers for most of my life

boomer2480

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
When I was five years old I was diagnosed with perthese desease and was put in a spika cast until age six and a half and wore diapers during that time. In Viet Nam in 1968 was wounded by shrapnel that caused me to loose bladder control. When the doctors told me that I would never get my bladder control I swore that I would never use diapers. Well I used a closed cath system for the first year and a half but had so much scare tissue built up in my urethra it got to where I couldn't take the pain and bleeding any more so I reluctantly switched to diapers. My wife was fine with it and back then disposable were far and few between and not worth using. Well needless to say I went with cloth diapers and plastic pants. I have been in diapers ever since. Now during the day I use disposables and at night I go with cloth and plastic pants. Because of the wound to my spine I can't sleep on my back or stomach due to the pain it causes. Having to sleep on my side I have never found a disposable diaper that didn't leak like a sieve at night. All of them have the same problem all the absorbancy is right down the middle and nothing out on the sides so all you have is two thin plastic sheets on your side and I might as well not wear anything if disposables are the only thing I have because I couldn't be any wetter in the morning. My wife passed away last year after fifty years of marriage so Now I'm by myself but when she was alive she supported me in every way including my incontinence and I miss her very much.

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing someone you have spent 50 years with must be hard. My heart goes out to you. Although, I am not religious, I believe our loved ones are looking after us after they pass away. So hang in there and try to live your life as fully as you can, so that she can see you go on and make the most out of your days. Think of her much and she will be there with you

Thank you very much for your reply

Knowing how scarce disposables were in the era in which you needed them, I'm wondering how - or where - you found adult-sized cloth diapers.

My wife had to make my first diapers by sewing baby diapers together. They weren't ideal, but they worked!

I know I speak for the entire board when I say I'm very sorry for all you've gone through, and especially sorry you've lost your accommodating spouse. I know you can look back on a half-century of happy memories with her, and I hope those are a help.

It was my wife that talked me into switching over to diaper because she knew the hell I was going through with the caths, We found adult diapers in a medical supply store in San Bernadino. I met her after I was medically discharged with 100% disability rating on monday on tuesday we were getting ready to drive to El Centro to get her birth certificate and before we left I told her I had no bladder control and was never going to get it back and she was fine with that so we took off. Wednesday morning we left for vegas and got married and when we got back and told our parents what we did they told us we were nuts because we didn't even know each other and that it would never last.Well it lasted fifty years so I guess we fooled them.

• Love
Reactions: RedPandaDL, bbpnts and Petya217
I too am sorry for your loss and I know exactly what you're going through as I lost my wife October of 2017. She was very supportive of my being AB/DL even though she didn't participate. She did buy me my big teddy bear along with other plushies, sippy cups. onsies and footed jammies. She was one of a kind. We were married for 44 years. Sometimes life just sucks.

I try to stay busy and keep myself occupied with various projects. I also continue to work at a part time job as a church musician. I see a psychologist most weeks and that gives me an opportunity to talk about my week, how things went, what triggers may have caused excess grief, depression, etc.

I'm always approachable if you want to talk. ADISC is first and foremost a support group.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
There were times when I liked wearing diapers and others when I hated it. My wife knew when they were bothering me and he would always try to cheer me up. She bought me some baby pants with baby rattles and baby bottles and pacifiers on them. I refused to wear them and she said I thought you would get a kick out of them. I told her I have never felt like a baby for wearing diapers and never pretended that I was. I have always liked the feel of the soft thick diapers and baby pants but I don't think I would qualify as a adult baby but maybe as a diaper lover .
There were times when trying to change my diapers causes me a lot of pain in my lower back due to my wound in my lower spine. That was the only times when I would ask my wife to help me change. She never gave it a thought she would happily do it to help me. The VA had me on 45 mg of morphine three times a day for pain for eight years. When I sold the house and moved out of state after my wife died last summer I had gotten to where I hated the VA so I had my doctor refer me to a pain clinic and they have me on fentinal patches and its much better then the morphine was. The morphine would some times make me so zonked I couldn't change myself. I still have pain changing myself but I get it done.

I think my growing attachment to cloth diapers and plastic pants was a sub conscious way to help me cope with having to wear diapers.
I can't say for sure that it is a way of dealing with wearing diapers but I can't think of any other reason for developing the attraction to them that I have. Who knows but in a way I'm glad I came to liking them because it would be hell if I continued to hate them like I did when I first started having to wear them. I'm sure if I went to a shrink and told him I like wearing cloth diapers he'd peg me as a nut. Maybe I am but it doesn't hurt anyone so I could care less what somebody would think of me if they knew.

Back