Diapers and incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1998 it started as bedwetting. In September 2004 it advanced to total incontinence. Part of this was due to a surgery mistake. Ultimately I suffered nerve damage and diagnosed neurogenic bladder. I now suffer from total bladder incontinence and bowel urgency.

My opinion is that you will not be incontinent just because you are passionately wearing diapers.
However, if you always wet the diaper immediately, it is quite possible that the bladder will get used to it. Because she does not have to withstand the pressure for a long time and after some time the volume of the bladder should be reduced, because the bladder musculature does not have to hold large quantities anymore. It then gets weaker, and therefore you can not stand it long.

Then you have to go to the bathroom quickly with small amounts of urine because the pressure is too high otherwise. Then it can be easy, if there is no toilet nearby, that you can not hold it anymore and it wets you. Then only diapers help.
At some point you get a weak bladder, and then you have to put on diapers, but real incontinence is not.
Because you can not hold the urine with incontinence, it runs constantly by itself.

I also do not know if incontinence can be cured without medical intervention, but with a weak bladder it's different. You can re-train the bladder to hold back large quantities of urine. But that will take much longer.
For me, it used to be that I always needed diapers because of my problems, but the cause was not physical at the time, but mental, because I was a bit late. I could not hold anything for a long time. Now I have a faint bladder, which is also triggered by a prostate operation after a severe bladder infection.
That's why I put diapers on every night and also on the day I'm not home. If there is no toilet nearby, the bladder pain in the urinary bladder becomes so intense that it becomes unbearable. Without diapers I would certainly wet myself during the day, so I put them on and then wet them to avoid the ever-increasing and then even painful bladder pressure.
Of course, I know that at some point I have to wear diapers all the time. And it will be even if I do not want it.

Greeting windelboy 4

windelboy4 said:
My opinion is that you will not be incontinent just because you are passionately wearing diapers.
However, if you always wet the diaper immediately, it is quite possible that the bladder will get used to it. Because she does not have to withstand the pressure for a long time and after some time the volume of the bladder should be reduced, because the bladder musculature does not have to hold large quantities anymore. It then gets weaker, and therefore you can not stand it long.

At some point you get a weak bladder, and then you have to put on diapers, but real incontinence is not.
Because you can not hold the urine with incontinence, it runs constantly by itself.

I also do not know if incontinence can be cured without medical intervention, but with a weak bladder it's different. You can re-train the bladder to hold back large quantities of urine. But that will take much longer.

Greeting windelboy 4

My incontinence is urge incontinence, which means out of the blue, a strong urge to urinate comes, which is very uncomfortable to try and hold back, so unless I'm basically on the toilet, I go in my diaper. I do not dribble all the time.

In regard to the bladder becoming smaller, that is true. If you don't exercise the bladder I.e. let it expand, then with time it will shrink down. But that takes a very long time.

well then I have a case where I will either have a good bladder for a long time or a very confused badder because I was wearing diapers everyday and was starting to need them which it would be nice to have them again. I really shouldn't have gotten away from them because now I feel that I stretch my bladder to the point that it hurts. I did good making sure that I had diapers for a long time but money got tight and the diapers well they are not the highest on my list. I will go to the bathroom usually once a day during an 9 hour shift. Don't know if that is good or bad. Seems with me being on a diuretic that I should be drinking more and going to the bathroom more than I do sometimes.

heatherreynolds said:
Wearing diapers does this to you. At first, I started wearing diapers because of bowel problems. I had complete urine control. But as time went by, I started to pee in the diapers and eventually got to the point that I no longer had any urine control and dribble all the time.

A few years ago I knew someone who is disabled and started to wear nappies at night to give her husband a break from having to get up to put a bedpan under her. Then it progressed to using them all the time because the bedpan also hurt to use, then to using them for poo as well, and before long she was telling people she was doubly incontinent despite having only started using them at all months before. So maybe it was specific to her condition but you can get dependent on them.

I wear them at night to stop myself from having to get up to use the loo which often makes it difficult to get back to sleep again (a wet nappy doesn't have that effect) and I've not noticed I can't hold it at night or that I wet in my sleep. I have had 'accidents' in the day and wear them all the time.

Reactions: Wetshisbed
HumanFly said:
A few years ago I knew someone who is disabled and started to wear nappies at night to give her husband a break from having to get up to put a bedpan under her. Then it progressed to using them all the time because the bedpan also hurt to use, then to using them for poo as well, and before long she was telling people she was doubly incontinent despite having only started using them at all months before. So maybe it was specific to her condition but you can get dependent on them.

I wear them at night to stop myself from having to get up to use the loo which often makes it difficult to get back to sleep again (a wet nappy doesn't have that effect) and I've not noticed I can't hold it at night or that I wet in my sleep. I have had 'accidents' in the day and wear them all the time.
I must admit It is just easier to wear and wet nappies at night than try and stay dry. I have given up and just rely on nappies now.

Reactions: alwayz
lilshelly said:
Ok so I was under the impression that I if I didn't didn't try to become dependent upon diapers I would be ok.
As of late that is not really the case. I don't wear all the time as many of you know but it is getting to the point that I don't feel safe not wearing a diaper. I feel like I have to pee most of the time. I will go at that time and end up barely going at all.
I have tried going without the diapers and am running for the bathroom quite often.
I am in a very similar position and having worn diapers for pleasure for many years I now find I’m actually needing to wear them as the time from knowing I need to pee to it actually losing control is getting ever shorter.

• Wow
Reactions: Wetshisbed and Andrewgdfw
Wearing a diaper day or night or 24/7 will not make you incontinent. What tends to happen is that you weaken the muscles you use to urinate and this can feel like a loss of control but is easily remedied. To be truly incontinent normally requires certain types of health problem such as MS or Spina bifida, Nerve, spinal and spinal chord can also cause incontinence, bladder, bowel or both. I am currently bladder incontinent due to Spinal Stenosis and am waiting for surgery, however if the surgery is successful the chances are i will remain bladder incontinent as one of my problems is in the saral region. If the surgery is unsuccessful then the problems can be anything from bleeding and infection to paralysis

Suzie65 said:
I am in a very similar position and having worn diapers for pleasure for many years I now find I’m actually needing to wear them as the time from knowing I need to pee to it actually losing control is getting ever shorter.
I've had a fondness for diapers for many years, too. Strictly DL, and mainly for women who wear & wet. I, too, became incontinent later on, result of a back injury. Now need protection 24/7 and still DL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzie65
Can wearing diapers lead to incontinence? It’s a difficult question because incontinence happens for a number of reasons.

From my own experience I am incontinent due to nerve damage caused by a chronic illness, but the amount of bladder control I have can fluctuate each day. As such, it’s safer for me to wear a diaper 24/7 than chance it and go without. And while it’s uncommon, I do occasionally have bowel accidents for the same reason.

If I’m able to reach a toilet, I do, but if not, I’ve reached the point where I’ve stopped worrying about it. As long as you’re dry and comfortable and your diaper doesn’t leak, then you don’t need to worry. And diaper size/thickness isn’t an issue either I’ve worn extra thick BetterDrys to work and people were fine with when I explained why I wore them.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

I am a 24/7 diaper wearer.
No control for decades.

lilshelly said:
Ok so I was under the impression that I if I didn't didn't try to become dependent upon diapers I would be ok.
As of late that is not really the case. I don't wear all the time as many of you know but it is getting to the point that I don't feel safe not wearing a diaper. I feel like I have to pee most of the time. I will go at that time and end up barely going at all.
I have tried going without the diapers and am running for the bathroom quite often.

I posted exactly on this about 6 months ago. As you've found, you don't have to try for it to become incontinent, only pee whenever the feeling hits you. Over time you will be training your body and muscles to become incontinent. Even if you aren't actively trying for it, always using your diapers will still lead to it.

I don't know why you are responding to this thread. it has grown a life of it's own. I posted this months ago. people are reposting my original post. This is really the first time I have posted here in about a month. lost my mom and I have been a bit of a ghost on social media and probably will be for awhile. Thank you all for your comments on the original post but I consider this post closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saltedcaramel64
Trevor said:
I don't see how this can be attributed to diapers.
Bladder shrinkage over time, especially wearing 24/7. It's possible for your brain to switch 'potty time' off, and just release urine unconsciously.
It's best to only wear when it is necessary, and make an effort to use the bathroom even when diapered. This expands your bladder over time, and forces your brain to try to hold urine in.

KitsuneFox said:
Bladder shrinkage over time, especially wearing 24/7. It's possible for your brain to switch 'potty time' off, and just release urine unconsciously.
It's best to only wear when it is necessary, and make an effort to use the bathroom even when diapered. This expands your bladder over time, and forces your brain to try to hold urine in.

The rest of my post that you snipped is pretty relevant to that. It's not the diapers but the behavior. There's no magic diaper radiation shrinking bladders.

Trevor said:
I don't see how this can be attributed to diapers. They're just a tool. We get out of them what we put into them (really not going for the pun on this one). I can see how you set yourself up greater dependence if your habit is to fully relax as soon as you tape them on. In that case, you're creating a habit and we all know how hard those can be to break. Obviously, if you were only wearing them and not using them there'd be no question. If you're wearing and still being deliberate about your use, holding until you need to go, I don't see how they can possibly be involved. If your behavior is different, the outcome could be different, so look at your actions while diapered. It could also just be an unrelated medical problem.

dogboy said:
Feeling you have to pee all the time could also be a UTI. It might be time to see a doctor.
When I began urinating frequently, I had no idea that diapering would be the solution. So I saw a doctor, getting a diagnosis of OAB and a prescription for Ditropan that I don't take. I prefer diapers.

jojokelly said:
Always had an overactive bladder. Teased for years about it; how often I go. Have seen doctors about condition. Test results all normal! I have all around angst about “the bathroom “, really.
If you were to diaper-up 24/7 and stop your bathroom use then you could hope to lose your bathroom-angst. The people teasing you about your frequent urination might then tease you about diaper-wearing though. At least you wouldn't have the bathroom-angst that might be worse than the teasing.

Last edited:
heatherreynolds said:
I started out wearing only for ibs, but over time my bladder got used to diapers and now I can't hold anything.
Holding pee thickens and irritates the bladder, causing spontaneous, forceful contractions. Don't do it. It's important to urinate at regular intervals. Getting into the "holding habit" can be dangerous. Continually holding in your pee is not only uncomfortable, it can harm the bladder and other parts of the body. Peeing as soon as the need to pee becomes noticeable can help you maintain the health of the bladder, its nerves, and surrounding structures. Two generally unknown consequences of holding your pee are that your pelvic floor weakens and your bladder becomes stretched out. If you frequently hold in your pee, the ability of your pelvic floor to contract, holding in the pee, can get weaker over time, increasing the risk of leaks. Frequently holding in your pee can overextend your bladder, causing the signals from the bladder to the brain to get lost, so you can’t always recognize when you need to go. Diaper-peeing whenever possible eliminates these risks.

lilshelly said:
I feel like I have to pee most of the time. I will go at that time and end up barely going at all.
Generally, when I pee, I eliminate a substantial amount. Sometimes, a short time after peeing, I pee again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back