• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Diaper rash protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Can someone list some alternatives to powder? I have just got some and it seems that it really isn't working too well.

Is there any good results from using Vaseline as a cream?

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Powder isnt really there to stop the rash...Desitin , A+D would be your best bet, but in a pinch vaseline would provide at last some barrier

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I got rash at first when I started staying in wet diapers, then I got some diaper cream, it adds a waterprof barrier to your skin, the one I used was A+D cream not ointment.

And after useing about 1 tube, I stopped useing it, and I haven't had rash again since, I think sitting in wet diapers toughens up your skin after a while, and I no longer use cream at all.

But I do give my skin a chance to dry out in between diaperings, don't count on just useing powder to dry your skin, give your skin a chance to dry, and you will be OK.

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
When you take your diaper off, rub baby powder on the damp areas of your skin, and then clean it off with wipes.
That's what I do and I haven't had a rash yet.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I just try to keep my diaper area clean and use rash cream and powder. This works pretty good for me because I enjoy being in wet diapers.:smile:

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
To Protect yourself from a diaper rash, you need only change regularly using wipes and either lotion or powder (or both). You could also use Vaseline for prevention, but it would be a waste because Vaseline works very well when you actually DO have a diaper rash. Vaseline also creates more friction while you're wiping in-between changes, but it really relieves the burning and heals your rash, pretty much instantly.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Zinc Oxide cream is another good one to use. It's been around and used to help prevent diaper rash for many years. My mom used it on me over 55 years ago, and we used it on our kids as well when they were babies.

~Pramrider

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
That A+D diaper cream is zink oxide, the same thing you would use to eliminate sunburn, on the top of your nose.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've never used powder (well once or twice), and I haven't gotten a rash...

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I also don't use powder or any other form of rash protection, and haven't gotten a diaper rash in years. My skin apparently is pretty tough.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
You know its odd, I still have NEVER gotten diaper rash down there out of my nine years of being an active diaper lover. Either I am really lucky or I have good skin cause I only use baby wipes with aloe.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
I normally use cream and I found it to be very effective at preventing (and sometimes also curing) diaper rash. You don't need an huge quantity of that, just a veil that will prevent your skin to be attacked from the... ehm... contents of your diaper. :p

You've got to find a cream that is "thick" enough not to be instantly absorbed by your skin as you put it on, and I highly recommend washing your hands very carefully before touching the diaper, or you'll end up with tapes that don't stick properly.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Preventing, I don't know. Curing: A+D (also ointment) or anything with zinc in it.

Last edited:

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I'm too used to the Dutch spelling (as my Chem is Dutch)

PFD

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say. Rash can come from irritation or from bacteria. Those bacteria probably grow better once the skin has become irritated. Keeping diapers and plastic pants from chafing will prevent irritation. Keeping clean will cut down on bacteria.
If you use cloth diapers wash them in hot water, with a little bleach to kill the bacteria. Change any diaper as soon as possible if you've pooped in it: urine is sterile, poop is a mess of bacteria.
I've found that if I get a spot of rash then wiping the area with a paper towel soaked in hydrogen peroxide will help cure it. Wipe repeatedly. I have also found that wiping with rubbing alcohol seems to prevent rash. It's necessary to use lotion on those areas after, I think, to re-moisten the skin. If you're prone to rashes, please try my alcohol theory and report back: going on data collected from one source (me) really tells us little.

Crinkly

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Try Bottom Butter from Walmart. It contains cocoa butter, and is easier to smooth on than those zinc oxide creams. It smells great too.

Role
Diaper Lover
Good old thread is good, I never have a problem, I guess my skin just manned up. I've never really worn diapers without drinking extra fluids, so the fact that I never wet with my normally yellow (stuff) might effect my non rashness.

Status
Not open for further replies.