Diaper design items to hide in plain sight - a subtle public beacon?

jellyjigger

Est. Contributor
I just came across this site Redbubble (and no I'm not affiliated with them in any way), but I was intrigued that you could buy mugs, shirts, pillow covers and bedspreads with some common medical diaper designs (such as Tena, Abena and Molicare). Someone had posted a Redbubble link on adisc years ago, but I think there are more designs now. The nice thing is that the items have *only* the designs, no brand names and no text (or just enough text to indicate "size"). For example, here are some mug links:

www.redbubble.com/i/mug/Abri-Form-L4-by-Steve616/27272824.9Q0AD
www.redbubble.com/i/mug/Diaper-M4-by-Steve616/24274321.9Q0AD
www.redbubble.com/i/mug/Molicare-by-Steve616/26013881.9Q0AD

I got me thinking that wearing or using one of these products in a public or semi-public setting could be fun. If I saw someone wearing Abena-stripes, I would instantly recognize it and know they were some type of ABDL.; the cool thing being that others probably wouldn't notice. If someone did notice, you could easily brush it off that you liked the colors/design and/or got the items at a thrift store/Goodwill. Some might recognize it, but stand there squinting with their mouth open trying to figure out where they saw it, like when you try to figure out a personalized license plate.

I've designed my own mugs before, but never thought to do an ABDL design. Armed with a phone camera and an image editor, you could come up with some really neat and even retro diaper designs that only small portion of the population would recognize!

Reactions: gentletides and Seabear
They might not be ab/dl they could be incontinent.

I like the L4 one. It is a cool enough looking design that it would pass and only people that were in the "know" would know.

These seem a bit weird but interesting at the same time, I think that they look like the sort of thing that a sales rep would give away as promotional material sort of thing like to nurses or other healthcare professionals.

If it were possible to do I would of made the yellow wetness indicator's on the M4 and L4 mugs into some sort of heat indicator that changes colour when hot.

Reactions: jellyjigger, Sheepies, TigerDL and 1 other person
I'd think those patterns would fall under Abena and Hartmann's trademarks ( like Coca-cola's "Dynamic Ribbon Device.) I like the L4 one as a discrete mug. The Molicare one is nostalgic for me.

Last edited:
I have one of the M4 t-shirts. I wear it all the time. Always hoping that someone may come up and ask about the pattern, but no one has as of yet.

Yes, due to trademark/copyright issues, if you ordered hundreds of items for reselling purposes, you might run in to legal issues should the owning corporation choose to assert their rights without getting permission first. Nobody is going to bust you however for paying someone else to print a single item. If anything, the company that does the printing would be liable as they are the party accepting payment. They are responsible for manually reviewing final items before printing and I have personally seen them reject items with copyrighted logos, but most companies won't especially without brand names. You supplying the image does not relinquish them from liability technically, but the worst that might happen is the trademark owner could always issue a cease-and-desist to the printing resellers as may be the case with Redbubble. This is unlikely because these items probably wouldn't be construed to cast said product(s) in a negative light (especially due to the missing brand name) and their legal department wouldn't waste their time pursuing infringement to stop free (and even subliminal) marketing.

Aside from that, I cleaned up some of my "vintage" images and came up with some prototypes intermixed with a few raw images. Here are a few you might enjoy:

Attachments

• model_attends_blue_sunset.png
    model_attends_blue_sunset.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 6
  • mug_attends_box_logo.png
    mug_attends_box_logo.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 6
  • mug_depend_stripes.png
    mug_depend_stripes.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • mug_wings_tapetab.png
    mug_wings_tapetab.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 3
  • vintage_logo_attends_medbriefsbox.png
    vintage_logo_attends_medbriefsbox.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • vintage_logo_attends_sunset_1995medbriefs.png
    vintage_logo_attends_sunset_1995medbriefs.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 3
  • vintage_logo_attends_sunset_blue_1995medbriefstallpkg.png
    vintage_logo_attends_sunset_blue_1995medbriefstallpkg.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 2
  • vintage_logo_depend_people_medpkg.jpg
    vintage_logo_depend_people_medpkg.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4
  • vintage_logo_depend_people_regsamplebox.png
    vintage_logo_depend_people_regsamplebox.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 4
I wonder if you could do this with things like the Rearz Gear collection, which is regular clothing and items with Rearz designs all over them. They have things like t-shirts, tote bags, pants, etc. This might be a more clear beacon to ABDL's, not just IC.

Reactions: LongSunnyDragon
8 used the M4 pattern as a wallpaper on my computer at my last job. One or two people said they liked it but that was all.

Reactions: jellyjigger
You can slice and dice any images including ABDL diaper designs, I just happen to try out some vintage medical diaper images first. I've used Cafepress and Zazzle .com in the past to create physical items not related to ABDL and the items come out pretty close to how they appear electronically, depending on the quality of your custom input images. Zazzle has one of the better online editors to stretch and position your image perfectly and doesn't require a login (this is the editor I used for the t-shift and mug screenshots posted here).

I couldn't resist boredofwheelchair's suggestion:
If it were possible to do I would of made the yellow wetness indicator's on the M4 and L4 mugs into some sort of heat indicator that changes colour when hot.

Here's a mug made from an old HDIS website image with the indicator slightly enhanced with yellow. Now, if you could make that yellow indicator disappear/appear when the mug was hot, that would be awesome!

Attachments

• mug_hdis_homechoice_enh_indicator.png
    mug_hdis_homechoice_enh_indicator.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 8
This works:

I wonder who Steve is? 🤔

Reactions: jellyjigger
Back