Diaper Database

bnet

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
It's been a while since the last discussion regarding this and that thread seemed to be locked now. ... About a year ago, I had started to work on a site for archiving information regarding the various diapers that are available. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I was not able to make any progress on that site for some time. I've now started to work on that site again and am sort of starting from scratch. My focus is going to be on providing a way to collect and store the data - and not so much look and feel for now.

There are still a lot of unknowns - but - I feel like something is better than nothing. A few remaining issues are:

1. How do we handle changes through the years? Example: Goodnites XL. This version has had multiple changes throughout it's lifespan.
  2. Need to add information about geographical restrictions - the Aussie Drynites that popped up recently come to mind. These are different than the UK it seems.
  3. Add support for images, reviews, etc.
  4. How to handle subjective information - this is the big one. Goodnites work great for me. I'm about a 31"/32" waist. They don't work for more than a couple hours if being used. Some of the premium diapers, that others rave about, they don't work well for me.
There is not a perfect way to account for the fact that because of various anatomies - some diapers work better than others. So unless everyone wants to take extremely accurate measurements, suitable for a tailor, then there will be some guess-work or fuzziness.

.... Right now, I'm restricting the ability to make edits to registered users. Feel free to just browse around (not much there completed yet), or register and start trying to add some information. Just keep in mind - there is a chance that I could need to purge all the data at some point.

.... also, for those interested, there is a map feature. Those who register can set their preferred location in their profile to use on the map. If you live in a small town, I might suggest just using a nearby city. This is just for fun - so no point in giving a detailed location.

* I would love to hear feedback on thoughts - but - please keep it to constructive criticism.

Diapered.Life
https://www.diapered.life
[email protected]

• Wow
Reactions: 49beachdipe, LittleAnonymousHacker and LilxFawn
@bnet I remember you posting about this last year. I still support this idea given that it can be tricky for someone to collet accurate information about a specific year/diaper/location/etc. For example, I have a huge archive of girls' Pull-Ups/Goodnites/Drynites over the years and I am trying to gather more information, especially from decades ago. I used to be active on flickr until I got banned. I've been looking for another medium to display such information.

I like this idea of a database in general but see also how much effort it will cost to keep it updated. More over I think there also some more general problems:

- how to get the right data from the manufacturers
- how to differentiate on an international base
- how to get “neutral” user based ratings...

For Germany we have a common availability database from the health insurences, that include nearly all available brands that have a admission in Germany with it’s basic data. Maybe somthing like this exist also in other countries. I don‘t want to say that plan to extend your databaseis a bad idea, but I would like to emphasize that might be easier to putt also efforts into the finding of already available data sources and collect the links for our audience.

Medical Aids Database Germany

@mickdl - I don't disagree with your points. More-than-anything, what I have right now is just a starting point. It could easily evolve into a different beast all-together. I've considered just restricting the ability to add / edit the information to myself - or myself and others who want to help. This would help keep consistency. I've also considered making it so that every user would have their own version of the database - but expose the ability to share data. This would also help keep junk data down.

Honestly, I don't want to have to rely on myself to be able to track down all the different variations - brands, manufacturers, versions throughout the years, etc. So my hope is to keep this a community effort. I'm trying to think through ways on how to handle the Adding and Editing of data and also provide a way of handling disputed data.

Scenario: User A adds a new Diaper to the database and says the medium fits 32" to 40". User B pulls the specifications from the manufacturer, which say it is 30" to 40". Right not user A and B can get in a tug of war match and just keep changing the values. One approach I've considered is to store a range of data submitted. We would store User A's 32" and User B's 30". This makes the data a bit more fuzzy - but - also more flexible.

... anyways, I do agree having this more static probably would be the easiest - sanest - approach ... but I am interested to see where it goes :)

This is what I got when I clicked the link.... I’m guessing it’s not supposed to happen.

Attachments

• 1E5F39B9-65E9-4037-8B48-790A8A631DE5.png
    1E5F39B9-65E9-4037-8B48-790A8A631DE5.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 24
It's because the SSL certificate is not currently installed. You can probably just hit show details and then proceed to site. Or got to the site without HTTPS ... http://www.diapered.life

I hope to get the certificate working soon - but there is no personal data being collected, so it's not much of a concern from that perspective.

Reactions: LilxFawn
bnet said:
It's because the SSL certificate is not currently installed. You can probably just hit show details and then proceed to site. Or got to the site without HTTPS ... http://www.diapered.life

I hope to get the certificate working soon - but there is no personal data being collected, so it's not much of a concern from that perspective.
Gotcha, sorry lol I just saw it and panicked a bit.

Notice that the same company can have different products in some countries. For example Pampers - as I know Cruisers are only available in U.S. - I never tried this one btw. In eastern europe like Poland where I`m living we have Pampers Active Baby instead of Pampers Baby Dry. Just saying ;)

Reactions: LilxFawn
@sweeeBeeeFeee - if the name is different, Baby Dry vs Active Baby, then we would just create a whole different diaper in the database. ... however, if the name is the same ( DryNites ) then that'll be more of a challenge.

One idea is that where I am listing sizes, I may augment that to be "versions" ... versions could be different based on Year, Size and or Geography. Those would collect most of the detailed information.

Yea a Version Field seems appropriate... You could initialize it with "Default" and those who have different Versions may then get something more meaningful. Say in 2019 they changed the diaper... so you will change the "Default" to something like "pre 2019" and make a new Version with "2019".
And if they change it 2021 again you will have a third Version with "2021".
Same goes for something like "UK Version 2019".

@bnet If you are ever in need of help i may be at hand. Got some experience in Web Development. (Nothing Professional but enough to get by)

Feel free to Private Message any time.

There has been a web project i've been thinking off for a ABDL Site but never brought it to life or had time, couple of people i know who are more capable at webdev would be on board.

With any luck, the SSL should be fixed now. Hopefully no more security warnings :)

Just a quick update ...

I have added a few more listings to the database but still a long way to go. I'm going to focus on more of the mainstream listings; but would still appreciate anyone who wants to help document missing diapers.

... There is now a way that anyone can make a suggestion - even without having an account. This can be used to make a suggestion for a diaper to add, a change or even comments about the site or suggested features, etc. This will not automatically update anything in the database, but will give anyone willing a chance to help make suggestions.

I've added the basic framework for a private journal - as of now, it is just pretty simple text that can be logged, but I hope to add more flexibility in the future. The goal is that as different diapers are tried, you can write information in the journal about your experience. This will hopefully expand into a way to rate the various diaper models that you have tried.

I want to do the same sort of feature but in a way that would be public and not private - this will be the "community" feature. It will be a place to make more subjective ratings about a diaper - Breathable, Odor Control, Padding Clumps, etc.

Added the start of a Community Channel / Topic feature ... This is a place for specific discussions around certain topics. Best diaper for ... Sort of questions.

Anyone interested in working on some logo ideas? Could offer maybe around $50 ... Looking for something semi conservative but stylish.

Reactions: Deleted member 9978
bnet said:
Added the start of a Community Channel / Topic feature ... This is a place for specific discussions around certain topics. Best diaper for ... Sort of questions.

Anyone interested in working on some logo ideas? Could offer maybe around $50 ... Looking for something semi conservative but stylish.

PM me, fridge has packed in so it would really help out.

Just another quick update .... I've now added the ability to use an existing Twitter account to login to the site. So anyone who already has twitter, can use that account to signup.

If anyone is interested, I'd be curious to know whether it appears to be working properly.

I may end up locking down the ability to add/edit/delete from the database - and just open those permissions to anyone who is interested in helping grow the resource. Right now I've just been backing everything up in case it gets corrupted. But that might help preserve the integrity - then anyone else who wanted to contribute could use the suggestion form to make a request.

@bnet the site looks very promising. I'm excited to see what it will look like after takeoff. I would particularly like to see pictures of what each diaper looks like. On that note, will we be able to upload our own pictures?

@Aquasailor - thank you. I am considering pictures. They probably will show up on the brands / diaper pages before to long but more as generic images I add. My goal is to add images to the private journal first - the private journal is a place to document information about a specific diaper that you have tried and as suggested is private to only you. So I don't really have to worry as much about any moderation concerns. .... eventually I do hope to add to the community side some image options but am trying to decide how to handle that since moderation will be a concern.

@Aquasailor ... I've got a very basic start on the images. Right now, there are only images for the Abena > Abri-Form > Junior - but it is a start. I have restricted that ability to upload images and have decided to restrict the ability to add/edit the database. Eventually I will add a way for someone to make a suggested entry, or image upload, that is more streamlined - but for now it can be achieved using the make suggestion and or email.

... I may also add an option for anyone who is interested to request privileges - such as permission to add image, entries, etc.

My intent is that images will be added to the individual sizes ( such as the Abri-Form Junior ) and then when looking at the generic version ( ie Abri-Form diaper without a size variation ) it will show images from all the different sizes ... Then also in the brand (ie Abena brand), it will show all the images from all the various versions contained within.

... I wonder if having a gallery page would be nice as an alternative view from the carousel?

One thing I am torn on is acceptable images. A part of me wants to only include images of the diaper on either a dummy display or other non-person. ... However, I know that does not always give a great representation of the diaper's look and fit.

I guess in a way, not showing them being worn sort of isolates the visitors that have to wear them as if its being shamed? To show them being worn would almost say, hey, its nothing more than special clothing... Thoughts?

Back