Diaper Database

bnet

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It's been a while since the last discussion regarding this and that thread seemed to be locked now. ... About a year ago, I had started to work on a site for archiving information regarding the various diapers that are available. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I was not able to make any progress on that site for some time. I've now started to work on that site again and am sort of starting from scratch. My focus is going to be on providing a way to collect and store the data - and not so much look and feel for now.

There are still a lot of unknowns - but - I feel like something is better than nothing. A few remaining issues are:

1. How do we handle changes through the years? Example: Goodnites XL. This version has had multiple changes throughout it's lifespan.
  2. Need to add information about geographical restrictions - the Aussie Drynites that popped up recently come to mind. These are different than the UK it seems.
  3. Add support for images, reviews, etc.
  4. How to handle subjective information - this is the big one. Goodnites work great for me. I'm about a 31"/32" waist. They don't work for more than a couple hours if being used. Some of the premium diapers, that others rave about, they don't work well for me.
There is not a perfect way to account for the fact that because of various anatomies - some diapers work better than others. So unless everyone wants to take extremely accurate measurements, suitable for a tailor, then there will be some guess-work or fuzziness.

.... Right now, I'm restricting the ability to make edits to registered users. Feel free to just browse around (not much there completed yet), or register and start trying to add some information. Just keep in mind - there is a chance that I could need to purge all the data at some point.

.... also, for those interested, there is a map feature. Those who register can set their preferred location in their profile to use on the map. If you live in a small town, I might suggest just using a nearby city. This is just for fun - so no point in giving a detailed location.

* I would love to hear feedback on thoughts - but - please keep it to constructive criticism.

Diapered.Life
https://www.diapered.life
[email protected]

Aquasailor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
@bnet I remember you posting about this last year. I still support this idea given that it can be tricky for someone to collet accurate information about a specific year/diaper/location/etc. For example, I have a huge archive of girls' Pull-Ups/Goodnites/Drynites over the years and I am trying to gather more information, especially from decades ago. I used to be active on flickr until I got banned. I've been looking for another medium to display such information.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I like this idea of a database in general but see also how much effort it will cost to keep it updated. More over I think there also some more general problems:

- how to get the right data from the manufacturers
- how to differentiate on an international base
- how to get “neutral” user based ratings...

For Germany we have a common availability database from the health insurences, that include nearly all available brands that have a admission in Germany with it’s basic data. Maybe somthing like this exist also in other countries. I don‘t want to say that plan to extend your databaseis a bad idea, but I would like to emphasize that might be easier to putt also efforts into the finding of already available data sources and collect the links for our audience.

Medical Aids Database Germany

bnet

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
@mickdl - I don't disagree with your points. More-than-anything, what I have right now is just a starting point. It could easily evolve into a different beast all-together. I've considered just restricting the ability to add / edit the information to myself - or myself and others who want to help. This would help keep consistency. I've also considered making it so that every user would have their own version of the database - but expose the ability to share data. This would also help keep junk data down.

Honestly, I don't want to have to rely on myself to be able to track down all the different variations - brands, manufacturers, versions throughout the years, etc. So my hope is to keep this a community effort. I'm trying to think through ways on how to handle the Adding and Editing of data and also provide a way of handling disputed data.

Scenario: User A adds a new Diaper to the database and says the medium fits 32" to 40". User B pulls the specifications from the manufacturer, which say it is 30" to 40". Right not user A and B can get in a tug of war match and just keep changing the values. One approach I've considered is to store a range of data submitted. We would store User A's 32" and User B's 30". This makes the data a bit more fuzzy - but - also more flexible.

... anyways, I do agree having this more static probably would be the easiest - sanest - approach ... but I am interested to see where it goes :)

bnet

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It's because the SSL certificate is not currently installed. You can probably just hit show details and then proceed to site. Or got to the site without HTTPS ... http://www.diapered.life

I hope to get the certificate working soon - but there is no personal data being collected, so it's not much of a concern from that perspective.

LilxFawn

Daddy’s precious little prince
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Little, Other
It's because the SSL certificate is not currently installed. You can probably just hit show details and then proceed to site. Or got to the site without HTTPS ... http://www.diapered.life

I hope to get the certificate working soon - but there is no personal data being collected, so it's not much of a concern from that perspective.
Gotcha, sorry lol I just saw it and panicked a bit.

sweeeBeeeFeee

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Notice that the same company can have different products in some countries. For example Pampers - as I know Cruisers are only available in U.S. - I never tried this one btw. In eastern europe like Poland where I`m living we have Pampers Active Baby instead of Pampers Baby Dry. Just saying ;)

bnet

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
@sweeeBeeeFeee - if the name is different, Baby Dry vs Active Baby, then we would just create a whole different diaper in the database. ... however, if the name is the same ( DryNites ) then that'll be more of a challenge.

One idea is that where I am listing sizes, I may augment that to be "versions" ... versions could be different based on Year, Size and or Geography. Those would collect most of the detailed information.

I_am_Groot

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yea a Version Field seems appropriate... You could initialize it with "Default" and those who have different Versions may then get something more meaningful. Say in 2019 they changed the diaper... so you will change the "Default" to something like "pre 2019" and make a new Version with "2019".
And if they change it 2021 again you will have a third Version with "2021".
Same goes for something like "UK Version 2019".

ComfyNappies171

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
@bnet If you are ever in need of help i may be at hand. Got some experience in Web Development. (Nothing Professional but enough to get by)

Feel free to Private Message any time.

There has been a web project i've been thinking off for a ABDL Site but never brought it to life or had time, couple of people i know who are more capable at webdev would be on board.

bnet

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
With any luck, the SSL should be fixed now. Hopefully no more security warnings :)