diaper covers

GabeG30

I wear diapers due to Cerebral Palsy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey guys how is eveyone,

I have a question I have seen diaper covers all over the internet, and I am wondering how do these work?
can I wear them with my diapers when i sleep like on my sides and back
do i need a bedpad or is the diaper good enough keep in mind I can't buy a mattress protector at the moment.
I look forward to hearing from eveyone thanks Gabe
P.S please no negitive comments

Diaper covers work like a last line of defense against any leaks, a waterproof barrier that will hopefully catch a leak before it gets to your bed or clothes.
They aren't guaranteed leak-proof especially if you're a side/stomach sleeper, but they absolutely do help catch most leakage issues you may have. From pinhole leaks to serious blowouts, they've saved me a high number of times over the years.

They can also help keep a particularly crinkly diaper more quiet or even help support a fully saturated, saggy diaper depending on what style you get.
And if you add a booster in the diaper cover or even a thinner cloth diaper over your diaper then put the cover on over all of it, you'll have a pretty unbeatable/near un-leakable experience, pretty much turning it into a secondary/outer diaper.

There's a huge selection of styles, materials and patterns to chose from around the web.
I personally recommend the "GaryWear Active Brief" diaper covers from NorthShore care(these), they've been beyond worth it since I started using them years ago and i love the quiet and soft PUL material.

Last edited:
During the day I wear a Gary Active Wear diaper cover because it is very thin and discrete. At night, I wear a Babykins P.U.L. Terry lined diaper cover to bed because it will soak up any leaks I have while I am sleeping. I always have a waterproof bedpad under my diaper area when I am sleeping.

Reactions: lilran and alwayz
If you wear cloth diapers, as I do then a diaper cover is necessary. I have tried vinyl and found out that the elastic on the legs will leak and separate. Gary Active Wear PUL diaper covers are comfortable to wear, the elastic has not leaked or separated, they are cloth like and wash well.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
As you are aware (or becoming so) there are different materials, accessories, and styles from AIO to covers.

I have had mixed experiences with them over disposables. They can offer an extra level of protection however, I've found them to contribute to a lot of additional heat and bulk. This has contributed to some awful heat rashes including along the gathering (elastic). Note others may not be as sensitive to this. I am beginning to believe that supportive measures do help in hiding, it can increase the likelihood of leaks as there is no basin (pocket) to catch things both liquid or otherwise. So, the temptation is to add more compression or covers or absorbency. Really just change more often. You kind of become a master planner as well as gaining a sixth sense when to change; 3-5 times a day depending on activities and hydration.

For cloth, well it is kind of needed and will need to change more often.

Regarding leaking and bed pads, neither cloth, covers nor disposables are free from leaks so, a bed pad under or over the mattress sheet is a good idea.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Jonnythepony said:
Diaper covers work like a last line of defense against any leaks, a waterproof barrier that will hopefully catch a leak before it gets to your bed or clothes.
They aren't guaranteed leak-proof especially if you're a side/stomach sleeper, but they absolutely do help catch most leakage issues you may have. From pinhole leaks to serious blowouts, they've saved me a high number of times over the years.

They can also help keep a particularly crinkly diaper more quiet or even help support a fully saturated, saggy diaper depending on what style you get.
And if you add a booster in the diaper cover or even a thinner cloth diaper over your diaper then put the cover on over all of it, you'll have a pretty unbeatable/near un-leakable experience, pretty much turning it into a secondary/outer diaper.

There's a huge selection of styles, materials and patterns to chose from around the web.
I personally recommend the "GaryWear Active Brief" diaper covers from NorthShore care(these), they've been beyond worth it since I started using them years ago and i love the quiet and soft PUL material.
Thanks for your help padded pony

daylight said:
As you are aware (or becoming so) there are different materials, accessories, and styles from AIO to covers.

I have had mixed experiences with them over disposables. They can offer an extra level of protection however, I've found them to contribute to a lot of additional heat and bulk. This has contributed to some awful heat rashes including along the gathering (elastic). Note others may not be as sensitive to this. I am beginning to believe that supportive measures do help in hiding, it can increase the likelihood of leaks as there is no basin (pocket) to catch things both liquid or otherwise. So, the temptation is to add more compression or covers or absorbency. Really just change more often. You kind of become a master planner as well as gaining a sixth sense when to change; 3-5 times a day depending on activities and hydration.

For cloth, well it is kind of needed and will need to change more often.

Regarding leaking and bed pads, neither cloth, covers nor disposables are free from leaks so, a bed pad under or over the mattress sheet is a good idea.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
thanks for your help daylight can I also add you as a friend on here? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe.

Tundra1975 said:
During the day I wear a Gary Active Wear diaper cover because it is very thin and discrete. At night, I wear a Babykins P.U.L. Terry lined diaper cover to bed because it will soak up any leaks I have while I am sleeping. I always have a waterproof bedpad under my diaper area when I am sleeping.
thanks for your help tundra 1975

alwayz said:
If you wear cloth diapers, as I do then a diaper cover is necessary. I have tried vinyl and found out that the elastic on the legs will leak and separate. Gary Active Wear PUL diaper covers are comfortable to wear, the elastic has not leaked or separated, they are cloth like and wash well.
thanks for your help alwayz can I also add you as a friend on here? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe.

Hello GabeG25.
As some have already explained in this post, plastic pants are really recommended as extra protection over diapers. They also provide extra support over the diapers, and they also dampen possible film noise from the incoslip. Since there are now many Incoslips that have a fabric-like outer side, these are closed with small Velcro straps. But I have no confidence in that. These Incoslips should also be breathable, but that's not the case. Because on the inside is still a plastic wrap. In any case, such a plastic pant is necessary on the diaper, because the hook and loop fasteners do not remain reliably closed.

Even with Incoslips with the plastic foil outside, a plastic pant should always be worn over it. There is an additional protection is very important.
Because there are always situations where you are sure that the diaper can still absorb some liquid, or you do not always have opportunity to change, and then you have to wear the wet diaper longer than intended. If the diaper then expires, it is embarrassing.

And as Johnnythepony has explained, you should always put an extra booster in the diaper, and between Incoslip, and Plasik pants always a thin cloth diaper. Because if the diaper expires because you could not change immediately, then the PVC Pant can not hold back the liquid for long. Only with the thin cloth diaper between you is protected against leakage. Of course it can also be that you sweat more, but in the summer sweat others who do not wear diapers. But if you decide between sweating and wet clothes, then the choice is very easy for me.

Personally, I prefer cloth diapers like member Always. Especially there is a PVC panties absolutely necessary.
It's a matter of opinion if the pant hatches or is better to button.
I prefer the PVC pant with press studs, which are from Suprima for easier change. These pants also remind me of the days when I used to wear cloth diapers and PVC diaper pants all the time. There were already the Pampers, but they were still expensive and that's why I only ever got cloth diapers. In addition, my PVC pants have leg elastics that can be adjusted with buttons, which really close the legs tightly, and also securely fasten the cloth diapers in the PVC pant.

I hope to help and explain something.
Greeting Windelboy4

GabeG25 said:
thanks for your help alwayz can I also add you as a friend on here? I look forward to hearing from you Thanks Gabe.
I would welcome you as a friend Gabe

GabeG25 said:
thanks for your help daylight can I also add you as a friend on here?

Yes. Thanks for asking.

Order one of each type to try. Purposely soak your diaper until it starts to leak and see how it holds the urine . Does it then leak if you walk, sit, etc?

windelboy4 said:
Hello GabeG25.
As some have already explained in this post, plastic pants are really recommended as extra protection over diapers. They also provide extra support over the diapers, and they also dampen possible film noise from the incoslip. Since there are now many Incoslips that have a fabric-like outer side, these are closed with small Velcro straps. But I have no confidence in that. These Incoslips should also be breathable, but that's not the case. Because on the inside is still a plastic wrap. In any case, such a plastic pant is necessary on the diaper, because the hook and loop fasteners do not remain reliably closed.

Even with Incoslips with the plastic foil outside, a plastic pant should always be worn over it. There is an additional protection is very important.
Because there are always situations where you are sure that the diaper can still absorb some liquid, or you do not always have opportunity to change, and then you have to wear the wet diaper longer than intended. If the diaper then expires, it is embarrassing.

And as Johnnythepony has explained, you should always put an extra booster in the diaper, and between Incoslip, and Plasik pants always a thin cloth diaper. Because if the diaper expires because you could not change immediately, then the PVC Pant can not hold back the liquid for long. Only with the thin cloth diaper between you is protected against leakage. Of course it can also be that you sweat more, but in the summer sweat others who do not wear diapers. But if you decide between sweating and wet clothes, then the choice is very easy for me.

Personally, I prefer cloth diapers like member Always. Especially there is a PVC panties absolutely necessary.
It's a matter of opinion if the pant hatches or is better to button.
I prefer the PVC pant with press studs, which are from Suprima for easier change. These pants also remind me of the days when I used to wear cloth diapers and PVC diaper pants all the time. There were already the Pampers, but they were still expensive and that's why I only ever got cloth diapers. In addition, my PVC pants have leg elastics that can be adjusted with buttons, which really close the legs tightly, and also securely fasten the cloth diapers in the PVC pant.

I hope to help and explain something.
Greeting Windelboy4
Thanks for your help.

Seasonedcitizen said:
Order one of each type to try. Purposely soak your diaper until it starts to leak and see how it holds the urine . Does it then leak if you walk, sit, etc?
thanks for your help

I also use a thin close pull up on top of my disposable, and a pair of waterproof pants. That way a diaper leak from the disposable is fully contained. Learned the necessity of this, the hard way.

NotTheAverageMan said:
I also use a thin close pull up on top of my disposable, and a pair of waterproof pants. That way a diaper leak from the disposable is fully contained. Learned the necessity of this, the hard way.
Thanks for your help.

NotTheAverageMan said:
a thin close pull up on top of my disposable, and a pair of waterproof pants.

If to understand what you are saying, you use two covers on a diaper with a cover? I am interested in the history behind this approach.

Using an additional cover can create heat rash/welts for me so, curious about your approach

He meant a cloth pullup.

This is what I wear for nighttime as a 61 year-old with Autism and Cerebral Palsy.
0901192341.jpg

Reactions: MrDiaperHead
Back