Dial up and evolution of technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Although I've only been on earth for 19 years, 20 next year, fuck I'm old.

I've pretty much witnesses a massive evolution of technology, at like 9 I was using dial up, I don't recall flash being that popular google was a lot more uglier from memory, you tube had a star rating.

I practically saw the evolution of gaming, had a PS1, PS2, never had a PS3 than an XBOX, than an XBOX 360 I remember going from grand theft auto san andreas to MAFIA 2.

I witnesses a evolution in PC hardware, went from Pentium 2, 3, IV, D, Core 2 duo, I3 etc.

Windows 95, 98, XP, 2000, NT, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Witnesses evolution in phones, remember going from a dumb phone at 8 to a full on android even remember the entire black berry thing.

Anyone else witness a huge evolution in hardware and technology in there lifes? What I witnesses is practically little compared to the evolution in the 1980s to the 1990s.

from NES, my first game system..... to PS4, Wii U, and GTX 970.
My first computers... uhm.... one had like a 256 MB hard drive. The other had a 3GB. I had some without hard drives...
.... Now, I have a 2TB HDD and a 120 GB SSD in my desktop.
My first cellphone was some kind of Nokia without a color screen. Now, I have a Nexus 6.
I went from recording things on a VCR.... to watching them on demand or from a DVR.

ShippoFox said:
from NES, my first game system..... to PS4, Wii U, and GTX 970.
My first computers... uhm.... one had like a 256 MB hard drive. The other had a 3GB. I had some without hard drives...
.... Now, I have a 2TB HDD and a 120 GB SSD in my desktop.
My first cellphone was some kind of Nokia without a color screen. Now, I have a Nexus 6.
I went from recording things on a VCR.... to watching them on demand or from a DVR.

Oh I remember the nokias, actually was my first phone :p I don't think they would work nowadays (due to parts of the world no longer supporting 2G)

I also forgot to mention, 240p videos to 360 all the way to HD, felt like a life time xD

CRT screens to LCD too :p

There was no internet when I started in computers. The standard computer modem was a Bell 103 Dataphone, 300 baud max. I remember sneaking on to the Arpanet around 1977 (making collect calls to the Pentagon TIP to get access...we told the operator that it was a computer and if it beeped it accepted the charges). By 1981, I was legitimately on the Arpanet working on some of the network software. A few years later I was writing one of the earliest internet routers and sat on committees throughout the development of that technology. I saw personal computers go from geeky things that you could barely get to run to consumer appliances over the years. I've seen stuff that I couldn't have done on supercomputers that I programmed in 1983 done on home desktops.

I think the pivotal moment for me on the Internet development was sitting down watching the Indy 500 one year. The first commercial was for Valvoline and it ended with the URL for their website. I commented that if they think some motorhead watching the Indy 500 would know what a URL is, then the Internet has trully finally hit the masses.

The first machine I was systems programmer on was shared by over 500 people (no more than about a dozen at a time). It had a whopping 128K of random access memory on it. My personal disk quota for my first account was 4096 bytes!

In 1989 I got my first 1G disk drive in a computer at work. We paid $1000 for it.

Now you can get 32G memory sticks at the drug store for under $10.

Shybug said:
Oh I remember the nokias, actually was my first phone :p I don't think they would work nowadays (due to parts of the world no longer supporting 2G)

I also forgot to mention, 240p videos to 360 all the way to HD, felt like a life time xD

CRT screens to LCD too :p

The Nokia I'm talking about did not have any Internet connectivity at all, as far as I know. XD I don't know whether the cell service used the edge network.
I think I got it in 2003. I don't remember the model for certain, but it might have been Nokia 3000 series of some sort.
I used it for several years too. I guess I really liked it. Then the battery became nearly useless.... And I realized I should have upgraded much sooner.

Heheh. Oh, Shybug! At 19 years old, you missed most of it! :) (But that's not to say you haven't seen an amazing transformation anyway. And it's still happening!)

I received a Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone) for Christmas in 1982 when I was six years old. I still have it, but it's been non-working for almost 25 years due to my plugging the wrong power supply into it. Being an electronics guy by trade these days, it's sort of embarrassing that I haven't opened it up and fixed it yet, but I'll get to it at some point. (I do also have a genuine 1977 Atari 2600 "heavy sixer", recently acquired, that works fine.)

My family's first general-purpose computer was a Tandy 102 (TRS-80 laptop) which I also still have, and which was followed soon after by a Macintosh SE (no longer around). It wasn't until the early 90's, though, that my dad began subscribing to CompuServe. I was quickly addicted, and was also quickly made aware of the fact that CompuServe billed by the minute. I can remember getting yelled at a few times because of a very high monthly bill. Around the same time, I received an Amiga 3000 as part of a deal with my dad (he'd promised to buy me my own computer if I managed to pull off consecutive 4.0 GPAs in high school, which I did). That, along with a 2400-baud modem I purchased with my own money, kicked the door open to BBS-ing, which I enjoyed for several years. A number of local Amiga BBSes were hooked in with FidoNet, which allowed BBS-to-BBS email (among other things), and that became how my friends and I would message each other online (circa 1992-1994). Talk about cutting edge!! :)

I graduated from high school in 1994 and went off to college. It was there that I first explored the Internet, at that point using a dial-up connection to the university's mainframe. And that was all text-based. It wasn't until later in my freshman year that I found out about the Web, and began "surfing" using X Mosaic on the HP/UX systems in my university's computer science lab. And of course it all exploded from there.

Shybug said:
I'm aware, most likely had the same one, had a green screen, :p

Had something like this http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/134/nokia-3310-troubleshooting.jpg

Was red, had snake from memory. Pretty sure there useless in AUS nowadays, mostly due to telstra shutting of the 2G network.

Yup, it looked 99% like that! Button layout was slightly different. It had a red reject button on one side and a green accept button on the other. I don't know if I still have it hanging around or not. I do have one of my moms old phones, I don't know why because I don't remember ever using it. It's even older.

Cottontail said:
Heheh. Oh, Shybug! At 19 years old, you missed most of it! :) (But that's not to say you haven't seen an amazing transformation anyway. And it's still happening!)

I received a Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone) for Christmas in 1982 when I was six years old. I still have it, but it's been non-working for almost 25 years due to my plugging the wrong power supply into it. Being an electronics guy by trade these days, it's sort of embarrassing that I haven't opened it up and fixed it yet, but I'll get to it at some point. (I do also have a genuine 1977 Atari 2600 "heavy sixer", recently acquired, that works fine.)

My family's first general-purpose computer was a Tandy 102 (TRS-80 laptop) which I also still have, and which was followed soon after by a Macintosh SE (no longer around). It wasn't until the early 90's, though, that my dad began subscribing to CompuServe. I was quickly addicted, and was also quickly made aware of the fact that CompuServe billed by the minute. I can remember getting yelled at a few times because of a very high monthly bill. Around the same time, I received an Amiga 3000 as part of a deal with my dad (he'd promised to buy me my own computer if I managed to pull off consecutive 4.0 GPAs in high school, which I did). That, along with a 2400-baud modem I purchased with my own money, kicked the door open to BBS-ing, which I enjoyed for several years. A number of local Amiga BBSes were hooked in with FidoNet, which allowed BBS-to-BBS email (among other things), and that became how my friends and I would message each other online (circa 1992-1994). Talk about cutting edge!! :)

I graduated from high school in 1994 and went off to college. It was there that I first explored the Internet, at that point using a dial-up connection to the university's mainframe. And that was all text-based. It wasn't until later in my freshman year that I found out about the Web, and began "surfing" using X Mosaic on the HP/UX systems in my university's computer science lab. And of course it all exploded from there.

Just image though, you could of created Google ;) and be a millionaire than, It's a shame I wasn't born earlier all the ideas I had now, would of made me millions back than. Nowadays It's practically impossible for anyone to see your websites without people paying millions literally took me 3 years to get like 3000 views a month :(

Than you have all that SEO crap, people love to "wank" over, It's become a god damn business in itself, doing it yourself is almost impossible from what I've gathered. :p for me google seems to be full of god damn scams, even typing make money online pops up garbage asking for money.

There are legitimate ways of doing it, but generally burred under all the god damn nonsense companies are provide as products, even see crap like wordpress seo costing money. which you can do yourself.

That being said, I did witness a change, from the internet being a tool, to it fully being monetized, youtube went from ads on the side, to stupid 30 second videos etc.

Haha...I bought an Apple IIe in '83 or '84 and it came gutted. You had to install all the cards. There was no internet that I could hook up to but that came a few years later. I used to get Incider magazine which taught you how to program in basic, which I did a little bit. It was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back