Delayed Income Tax Refund Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I've heard where a couple states may have to issue IOUs or Promissary Notes to residents instead of refunds due to having budgets way in the red. My state, Maryland, hasn't publicly mentioned any budget problems, but I'm beginning to have a suspicion there may be one. In past years, when I mailed my tax return off by the first few days in Feb., I always received my refund in about 10 days. This year I mailed my taxes off on Feb. 2nd and I haven't gotten my return as of today the 24th. I'm beginning to wonder whether my state is having budget problems they haven't made public. Maybe waiting for some of President Obama's stimulus funds to start flowing into the state before refunds are sent out? Anyone else having doubts about getting their state refunds in as timely a manner as in past years?

~Pramrider

Role
Other
That's why I got my boss to get me my W-2 form early. I e-filed the first day the state accepted them, and got my refund in a week or so. Same thing with my Federal taxes.

Wzrd

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
Yeah here in Cali the refunds are on hold. I did my tax return in January. I got my Federal a long time ago but not the state.

"The State Controller announced on Thursday, February 19, 2009, that once the budget plan provides the needed cash in the treasury, his office will work around the clock to get delayed payments out the door. Check this website for updated information on the status of the delayed tax refunds."

GIVE ME MY DAMN MONEY!!!!

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, to be honest, I don't care that much. Last year the state of Indiana sent me a whopping $12.00 refund. I can wait an extra month or two for my medium 1-topping pizza.

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
We filed in early February and have received Fed, State and City refunds already. State was the first to come in. BTW, this is the first place I have ever lived that has city income taxes and city tax returns.

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Here's my thought if I lived in a state that was issuing an IOU for taxes: If they ever sent me a bill or inquiry for tax $$$ I owed them in the future, I'd send them an IOU. Of course, I would state that due to the current personal financial crisis, a payment could not be made at the present time. Damn them all.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You go Diapered Rabbit. My sentiments exactly! Virginia is always slow on getting our checks, though there have been a few years where I have owed. This year they sent us a letter saying we didn't pay anything in 2005. I was furious as they take their pound of flesh out of our income. We had to dredge up all of our past files, and pay to have a copy of the check we used to pay them. Then we had to mail all of this nonsense to them. Finally my wife had to call them on the phone and they said, "Oh, we have your file right here on our desk. We're sorry, we made a mistake." Yeah, sure you did. They were just trying to double charge their working population.

Role
Private
Here's my thought if I lived in a state that was issuing an IOU for taxes: If they ever sent me a bill or inquiry for tax $$$ I owed them in the future, I'd send them an IOU. Of course, I would state that due to the current personal financial crisis, a payment could not be made at the present time. Damn them all.
You go Diapered Rabbit. My sentiments exactly! Virginia is always slow on getting our checks, though there have been a few years where I have owed. This year they sent us a letter saying we didn't pay anything in 2005. I was furious as they take their pound of flesh out of our income. We had to dredge up all of our past files, and pay to have a copy of the check we used to pay them. Then we had to mail all of this nonsense to them. Finally my wife had to call them on the phone and they said, "Oh, we have your file right here on our desk. We're sorry, we made a mistake." Yeah, sure you did. They were just trying to double charge their working population.
I read this last night, and I've been thinking about the slime-pit that California finds itself in, what with issuing "IOUs" and all...

Our solution is simple.

Those who do not receive their returns in a timely manner from your STATE should band together and impose a class-action suit on behalf of the citizenry. Damages + court fees + interest. These days, as usury laws seem to have been thrown out, I would be hard-pressed to name an "appropriate" figure for "interest."

Those who find that the FEDERAL returns take longer should follow suit (pun intended).

If I don't pay my taxes, they put a lien against my property. If I'm late in paying taxes, they penalize me and charge interest. I would suggest we act in kind; my mortgage company does not take IOUs as far as I know, nor does my school, butcher, grocer, nor anyone. Why should we?

I'm not typically one for calling people to legal action, but I think the states and federal government needs shaking awake, and a tide of orchestrated lawsuits may be a good pathway to this.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You guys getting refunds are all lucky! I gotta pay, so I'll be sending my payment in promptly on April 15th.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Over here, the due date for filing your tax refund documents is May 31st, and that's usually a tight squeeze to get all the necessary documents by then and fill in the 10 pages of documents. Needless to say that it takes several weeks, sometimes up to 3 months, to be processed.
But then, 70% of the world's literature on income tax is in German...no wonder though, we have the most complicated income tax system.

Speaking of refunds: I got the second refund for the 2007 tax year today. 256 EUR extra because the Constitutional Court declared the 2007 tax law illegal...at least the part about the deducting your commuting expenses to work.

Peachy

Role
Private
If they aren't going to give you your money, why should you give them theirs?
Agreed.

I have traditionally seen breaking exactly even as a "victory" (as if I get a refund check at the end of the year, it means I screwed up and have missed out on earning interest with that money all year long), but I will revisit this in the future.

You guys getting refunds are all lucky! I gotta pay, so I'll be sending my payment in promptly on April 15th.
Ace, look on the bright side: you've had that "extra" money all year long to invest put in a bank put into precious metals or stuff under your mattress. There is no shame in doing that!

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
This reminded me >_> I need to bug my mother about our taxes.

We're behind by like 2 years. We keep getting it extended. D:

careybw

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Other

Actually happened to my parents in the mid-late 80's. My dad got an IOU from California for a tax refund. Later in the year, 'not sure what for' got a bill from the state of CA for some taxes. (Property I believe) He sent the IOU back to CA. CA couldn't do anything about it.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
If they aren't going to give you your money, why should you give them theirs?
That was sort of my thought, if you sent the state and IOU for taxes you would be in jail so fast it would make your head spin. Why should the state have special treatment?

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Reading over all the replies, one thing absolutely amazes me - people getting their federal refund in only a couple weeks or thereabouts after filing. In the nearly 40 years I've filed tax returns I've NEVER gotten my fed refund back in less than a month! No matter how quickly I mailed it off! State refunds always came back in two weeks or less, but federal was always a couple weeks or longer in coming once I received the state check. Maybe the east coast IRS office is overloaded because of the dense population of the area? Our fed tax form used to go to Philadelphia, now it goes somewhere in Massachusetts. Maybe that was done to even or spread out the load?

I liked the reply about cashing in a refund IOU to pay property taxes. And why not? The IOU should be as good as cash as far as the state gov't. is concerned.

~Pramrider

Role
Other
Pramrider, I filed electronically in the middle of January, I have no complicated parts to my 1040. The refund is direct deposited into my bank account, and actually were slower than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.