default thread title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Just an idea: make thread title in greetings forum (and only in greetings forum) default to the name of the newbie?

It is a pain to have them called mostly similar, inane things, like HI :) or greetings, especially if you want to find a particular one easily. The psychology is also, that the member is speaking up, asserting their identity, more than a shy "greetings." I would allow a re-edit to allow for non-standard thread titles, like "username: my reintro" or such. Also people who might ignore greeting threads because they all look similar and inane might be more interested in responding if each greeting thread title is distinctive.

Maybe when a thread is created in greetings forum it could be pre-titled [username] to suggest the newbie fill in their username?

Assuming we would prefer the username as the title to the typical indistinguishable ones like
"hello!!" "greetings!!" or "new fur :)"
we would have to ask after the fact: extra work for all concerned.

Last edited:
Role
  1. Private
Just an idea: make thread title in greetings forum (and only in greetings forum) default to the name of the newbie?

It is a pain to have them called mostly similar, inane things, like HI :) or greetings, especially if you want to find a particular one easily. The psychology is also, that the member is speaking up, asserting their identity, more than a shy "greetings." I would allow a re-edit to allow for non-standard thread titles, like "username: my reintro" or such. Also people who might ignore greeting threads because they all look similar and inane might be more interested in responding if each greeting thread title is distinctive.

Maybe when a thread is created in greetings forum it could be pre-titled [username] to suggest the newbie fill in their username?

otherwise, assuming we would prefer the username to indistinguishable "hello" "greetings!" or "new fur" we would have to ask after the fact: extra work for all concerned.
Programmatically entirely possible, unless vBulletin runs as a black box.

Role
  1. Private
Doesn't that take away from the personal/individual aspect of a thread introduction... which is something we should be promoting?

I've noticed a high correlation between a witty thread title and a high quality introduction. To me, anyway, having a default thread title would make it harder to distinguish which ones might actually be interesting to read. And lets face it, quite a sizable portion of the users here aren't active on the G/I forum.

Also, I should point out the G/I forum is also for people announcing when they are leaving or have returned. It would be too much of a hassle to have to go searching through the forum to find your thread, change the title and make a post.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I want to see what thread titles people come up with. They're vying for my precious, precious attention. A nick-named thread is redundant to me since I can see their nick below the title, so the title is their chance to shine...or fail to do so. It's certainly not life or death either way, but I think I'd get fewer smiles from greeting threads if they were standardized in this manner.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Doesn't that take away from the personal/individual aspect of a thread introduction... which is something we should be promoting?

No, not at all. Skim-Reading Misperception Syndrome rears its ugly head again. Distinctive titles are what we want. And many, perhaps most greetings forum titles are unimaginative, and similar, even identical to many others.

The default title would not be mandated: just a default OPTION and not required. I shall restate the idea, more clearly this time, as I may have described the idea the first time in a confusing manner.

Upon making an intro thread, the title would automatically be
"username"
to prompt the thread creator to fill in their username.

They may fill in whatever they pleased.

This is to avoid the repetitious and inane titles like "I'm New."

Many new members, especially young ones, who are less experienced on these sorts of forums than you or I, do not think to make an imaginative thread title, not knowing any different.

Letting people know they are permitted - in fact encouraged - to make good and clever thread titles is one manner of support we offer, down the road. The point of a thread title is not as a sorting tool to locate good new posters, though that is a happy by-product, it is to get people to pay attention to the newbie. I warrant the posters of lesser intelligence or imagination or experience or mental health are the ones who need attention the most, not the least: makers of amazing thread titles can likely fend for themselves.
I've noticed a high correlation between a witty thread title and a high quality introduction.

Quite true. This is in part because they stand out from the inane, unimaginative thread titles. Witty thread titles will continue to stand out from mere usernames. Witty titles lose nothing, but the rest of the titles will improve.
To me, anyway, having a default thread title would make it harder to distinguish which ones might actually be interesting to read. And lets face it, quite a sizable portion of the users here aren't active on the G/I forum.

While a witty and clever thread title indicates a potentially interesting OP, an inane and lackluster thread title DOES NOT indicate a boring or unworthwhile member. For one thing, members become increasingly interesting: as they age, become more open about themselves, figure out by what means they can be interesting, and learn our site customs and rules.

Why, I have seen newbies do their damnedest to be interesting - and get flamed all to hell and back for breaking rules or conventions, for taking that risk! - for posting unlikely fap-material-sounding tales! For excruciating bodily function detail! For saying what they THOUGHT would interest us, not knowing the conventions peculiar to ADISC!

And as to the boring intros... Do they not deserve a read too? Should we ignore members, just because they have not come out of their shell? Is that how a support site should operate? Surely members come here for their own benefit, not simply to entertain the extant memberbase.

Also, I should point out the G/I forum is also for people announcing when they are leaving or have returned. It would be too much of a hassle to have to go searching through the forum to find your thread, change the title and make a post.

No suggestion of mandatory RETITLING of existing threads was made. Please do not imply my saying things I did not say. There will be less confusion, less high dudgeon, less drama overall.

I hope the last paragraph was helpful. As a support site, it is incumbent upon us to help the sufferers of Skim-Reading Misperception Syndrome as much as any other sort of sufferer.

Now, I hear you cry, you need EXAMPLES. Here is the first page of greetings thread titles: none more interesting or creative than "Hiatus." Yet I assert the majority were made by interesting and creative members! And any uninteresting members are only the ones whose posts so far are uninteresting: who knows what hights of interestiness they may yet achieve!

another furry o_O
Hi Im new
Why hello there....
Greetings
Hi :)
YouDontKnowMe
Hey
new to all this.
Diapered Introduction
Hello
hi
Well, I Decided It's Time To Sign Up
Re-introduction
Another Newbie (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Allow myself to introduce... Myself
Greetings Everybody!
Taking a Vacation
Officailly introducing myself ^.^
hey hey *waves*
Hiatus.
I thought "Hiatus" was an appropriate way to cap the list.

On a technical note, you alluded to locating your own intro post. "HI" is a two-letter word and will not work as a search term; in fact the above list is composed of common words, not amenable to using the search function.

Last edited:
Role
  1. Private
I still maintain that it's a completely redundant feature to add. Why do you require that people here need be directed and guided in every possible way? A bland thread title may be bland, and a boring post may be boring, but what makes them all unique is the fact it came completely from the user's own volition. I personally don't interfere with others unless there is a strongly founded reason to do so. And so far, I haven't seen much -administratively-speaking- on this site lately that warrants such a high-degree of problem solving and complex reasoning.

I oppose generating internal conflict for the sake of having something to debate about, which is what I do think a number of other members are doing here. That is completely self-destructive behaviour and only serves to bring down the community. With no ill-regard in spotlighting you Raccoon, but being as direct as I can possibly be, I'm growing weary of all these threads about trying to change the site, most which address issues that I feel don't need to be played around with, or are so trivial that any time spent on them in time better spent on more productive ventures. There's a certain balance between jumping into action for the greater good and action that just gets on people's nerves. You know you're onto something worthwhile when a large number of people gather around to discuss the idea; the same momentum that your threads are not gathering... but that's my opinion.

In addition to that, I'm a naturally wary and critical person and one flaw is that I often pass judgement before fully understanding the matter or the other people involved. Despite leaving some airspace for myself lately and trying my best to keep out of these sorts of threads, there's this feeling I cannot shake that you're doing this for the kudos. Or that when everything is sorted, you want people to look back and hail you as some sort of saviour to the site. Note that I'm not passing this as fact, nor opinion; it's merely how I feel about all this. But it does motivate me to ask the question: why are you doing all this? Really. Is there personal satisfaction to be gained, or are your motives unknown to the rest of us. I think that's a fair question.

It's okay to say you care about this place, because you have no idea how much I do, and it's perfectly alright to act on those feelings. However there is such a thing as overkill and it's becoming my opinion that you're well on your way there.

No suggestion of mandatory RETITLING of existing threads was made. Please do not imply my saying things I did not say. There will be less confusion, less high dudgeon, less drama overall.

No need to throw up a huge defence every time someone misinterprets something, or is critical of your idea. There would be less confusion, less high dudgeon, less drama overall.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I still maintain that it's a completely redundant feature to add

Redundant? Surely you mean "not useful." I point out that the quality of the site is defined by two things: the quality of assistance rendered, and the quality of the posts on it. The first depends on the second in large part. Thread titles are posts themselves: I speak to improving their quality. Please cite any thread title quoted that is in any way better than the username.

Why do you require that people here need be directed and guided in every possible way?
NOT in
EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.
This exaggeration indicates a misperception syndrome. Not Skim-Reading Misperception Syndrome, more likely Contrast Misperception Syndrome, where shades of grey are rendered into black and white.

Guidance and direction are forms of support. This is a support site. Let me quote from http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcements-news/1926-adisc-introduction-faq.html
A bland thread title may be bland, and a boring post may be boring, but what makes them all unique is the fact it came completely from the user's own volition.

Yes, their own volition. But training does not limit volition: it expands it through giving to them a larger toolset, and greater communication skills. A bland post does not represent who a member is, just how they portray themself. "Support" - ADISC's mandate - involves improving minds with knowledge, skills, even improved mental health. Actually, if we assume it is one's volition to make the best posts one's potential allows, then helping people realize their potential increases the degree to which they can exercize their volition.

I requote To support teens and young ABDLs, providing them a safe, supportive environment to help them along the road of understanding and self-acceptance.

I personally don't interfere with others unless there is a strongly founded reason to do so. And so far, I haven't seen much -administratively-speaking- on this site lately that warrants such a high-degree of problem solving and complex reasoning.
Oh dear. Did you just dis "problem solving and complex reasoning?" Did I misquote you or mischaracterize what you meant? Oh my heavens to betsy.

And did you just assert I interfere with others? or that I advocate interfering with others? Please cite examples and send them directly to Requests Forum; please click
to do so, bottom left of this post. Bullying on ADISC is strictly forbidden. I urge, nay, demand, nay, will coerce you to report this post if it is in violation of

People come here to be influenced: that is another way of saying they come for support. "Interfere?" - that word implies coersion. Absolute freedom is voluntarily acceded by accepting the site's terms and conditions. This includes following http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcements-news/697-rules.html
When a member writes his username as a thread title, he is still free to write anything else. I repeat, yet more clearly than before, I did not advocate the default thread title be the actual user's username, but the word "username." By all means we could use the words "clever and witty thread title" but I think that would be intimidating.

I oppose generating internal conflict for the sake of having something to debate about, which is what I do think a number of other members are doing here. That is completely self-destructive behaviour and only serves to bring down the community.
I oppose it too: it would constitute drama, which is against http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcements-news/697-rules.html . It does not, however, number among my sins, numerous though they may be. Suggesting site improvements is part of an ongoing process of development and adaptation. It is not my intent to generate internal conflict; it is my mission to engage in healthy and intelligent debate. This is specifically allowed and encouraged by Moo. How is suggesting ways to improve the quality of thread titles controversial or evidence of a wish to generate conflict? Without progress there is stagnation.

My sins, as long as we are on the topic, are generally not sins of omission. Hardly. Nor are they Greed, Envy, Sloth, nor Pride (Hubris.) Wrath, occasionally. Lust: lots and lots. Gluttony: yes, oh yes; my character diet is blown all to hell. Blasphemy and heresy: guilty!! - except where it comes to Moo's edicts.
With no ill-regard in spotlighting you Raccoon,
You did spotlight me. I am glad you did so. No ill-regard assumed.

but being as direct as I can possibly be, I'm growing weary of all these threads about trying to change the site,

There is a whole forum dedicated to "Administrative Stuff." What is it for if not to suggest and debate changes to the site (other than asking for information about or clarification of site issues such as features or policy?) Again I quote from http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcements-news/1926-adisc-introduction-faq.html
We pride ourselves on being an intelligent discussion forum

most which address issues that I feel don't need to be played around with, or are so trivial that any time spent on them in time better spent on more productive ventures

Please list the issues that don't need to be played around with. Just one?
Please list the issues which are too trivial to justify attention. Just one?
Please list the more productive ventures? Just one?

There's a certain balance between jumping into action for the greater good and action that just gets on people's nerves.

Please define which is which; please give examples. But before you do so, please note any non-trivial issue is bound to have differences of opinion: and is therefore bound to get on someone's nerves. Moo has defined the greater good. The issue is how to achieve it.

you know you're onto something worthwhile when a large number of people gather around to discuss the idea; the same momentum that your threads are not gathering... but that's my opinion.
No, the number of people discussing an idea does not exactly correspond with the idea's importance. Besides, even if it did, there is no way to know how many people will gather to discuss an idea until it is mentioned.

As to my threads' momentum... some die a sudden and quick death, others propell themselves along. The best ideas are the ones that are obviously good and easy to implement: these have the least momentum.

Besides, the process of encouraging good ideas includes fostering an environment that doesn't discourage proposing them, in fact the opposite. It is necessary to put up with many duds to get the diamonds. unless you are willing to hit dirt many times you will not strike oil. I joined TBDL Aug 2006; and since then Moo has not asked me once to cease suggesting ideas. I do not suggest them frivolously: and never without detailed argument in their favor. And when Moo says "no" I acknowledge and respect his decision.

Note, for instance, http://www.adisc.org/forum/administrative-stuff/14077-paid-ad-space.html - in post #8 Moo said no ads were to be made on any part of ADISC, including the newsletter. I acknowledged this, explicitly in posts #13, #16. The thread continued to gain momentum. Proof: thread momentum does not equate to thread worthiness. You yourself continued the thread's momentum in post #14, when in post #13 the issue of ads had been laid to rest; actually Moo had said no in post #5, immediately subsequent posts had simply asked for clarification of post #5.

In addition to that, I'm a naturally wary and critical person and one flaw is that I often pass judgement before fully understanding the matter or the other people involved.

Quite so. I concur.

Despite leaving some airspace for myself lately and trying my best to keep out of these sorts of threads, there's this feeling I cannot shake that you're doing this for the kudos.

No, I am quite happy not to get credit for all my ideas: some are passed on directly to Moo or the staff and some of those have been adopted. I shall not list them. You may ask Moo if there exist any ideas I proposed and he adopted, without his naming them. Please do so.

Kudos is nice but hardly my priority. I cite the originator of any idea I re-propose. If there were a facility to propose ideas anonymously I would use it. I would use it a lot. A whole lot. Unceasingly. Anonymous idea proposal is not site policy: until Moo decides otherwise.

Or that when everything is sorted, you want people to look back and hail you as some sort of saviour to the site.

In the event I save the site, that would be its own reward. Credit would be beside the point. If another saved the site by putting forward an idea of mine, he may have the credit for doing so. The fact that I would get credit for an idea I proposed publicly does not indicate the credit was my primary motivation.

Note that I'm not passing this as fact, nor opinion; it's merely how I feel about all this. But it does motivate me to ask the question: why are you doing all this?

To protect and improve ADISC, because I like it here and because I believe in its mandate. My helping ADISC improves the benefit I derive from the site. It is also my idea of fun. So this is not pure altruism: I call it enlightened self-interest.

Really. Is there personal satisfaction to be gained, or are your motives unknown to the rest of us. I think that's a fair question.

Absolutely it is a fair question, and I am glad you asked it.

It's okay to say you care about this place, because you have no idea how much I do, and it's perfectly alright to act on those feelings. However there is such a thing as overkill and it's becoming my opinion that you're well on your way there.

Overkill in trying to protect and improve ADISC?

No need to throw up a huge defence every time someone misinterprets something,

Oh yes there is. It is my right, my duty, and my imperative. And fun.

or is critical of your idea.

I love well-reasoned, well-tempered criticism of my ideas. If I am proven wrong, I gain +1 wisdom, and the site benefits from the superior counter-idea. If I am proven right the site benefits from not only my idea but from its increased certainty. Win-win. Ipso facto. Q. E. D.

There would be less confusion, less high dudgeon, less drama overall.

Now see: there was no drama in the above discussion. I have cleared up confusion through careful and detailed consideration. And am no longer in high dudgeon.

If your prior post was simply made to generate internal conflict and drama by provoking me into dramatic response I suggest you report your post using

Now look what you did. You hijacked this thread into a discussion of my motives - and which process I aided and abetted. I would have been happy to leave it a discussion of Greeting Forum Thread Title Policy.

So let us return to that question.

Last edited:
Role
  1. Private
Now look what you did. You hijacked this thread into a discussion of my motives - and which process I aided and abetted.

You caught me. Guilty as charged! :thumbsup:

I will maintain this is a complete overreaction. Guess we both played into providing some heavy content for the site. Spiced up a rather bland thread though, huh. (Or was that my intention?) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.