Death of a Bully

camperspampers1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
After successfully avoiding a former workplace bully for over a year, I learned today that he died after fighting lung cancer for 6 months.

Our relationship was not always bad. In the beginning, it was very good. He was my boss, and I was a new employee. During the recession of 2009, I was the only employee he didn't lay off. Even though I had the least experience, I worked harder, and kept my job on merit. When he changed companies, he arranged a sweetheart deal as enticement to follow him.

Then things began turning sour. We achieved great success, but rather than hiring people to handle the resultant workloads, he added to my workload to the point it resulted in health problems. After bringing my doctor's concerns about extreme workloads to the attention of HR, my workloads were reduced, but I was told I would never be promoted, ever. My workloads started growing again, and I started looking for comparable employment, unsuccessfully. I was expected to perform all OT in my department, whether a work task was my responsibilty or not. I worked myself to another health crisis, quit, sued, and was liberally awarded severance and damages for my suffering.

My boss was not the only manager responsible for my suffering, but was either actively or silently compliant in the actions that caused it. I considered him a friend at one point, but recently felt I didn't care if I saw him again. I'm conflicted about how I feel. I was his workhorse and trusted colleague, and he complied with or actively participated in demonstrable workplace discrimination and abuse resulting in significant harm, and hence my lawsuit damages award.

How would you feel if a friend turned enemy died of cancer? I don't think cancer is proportional karma and would not wish it on him, but I'm not sure where I fall on the spectrum of happy, sad, or relieved. Maybe a weird combo of all 3, or even more emotions. It's a strange feeling.

We are complex beings and it is ok to have a range of emotions. I would focus on the good and move on with life.

Reactions: Lyokodl, BuffedBaby and dogboy
What a sad story dude! Friends or brothers becoming enemies not beeing able to find forgiveness and peace b4 one of them leaving 4ever is real tragedy. I am in fear of relationships I am not able to receive forgiveness b4 it's too late.
I guess I would visit his grave laying down some white flowers telling him it's ok and that I am not angry about it anymore.
btw... It's a very new scientific fact that there never had been so many people dieing from too much workload than nowadays dude.
Bullying sadly seems to be common in nearly every social group of humans: school classes, families, neighborhoods, teams, workgroups, etc. People tragically seem to try to destress that way =(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back