Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Daytime Diaper Review.

Greetings all...

I recently got in a bag of Abena (Abri) Supers... so I figure now is a good a time as any to do a review and comparison of some diapers that are ideal for daytime use.

What I have are three "thinner" diapers (from L to R)... Abri-Super, Attends, Assurance. Thinner diapers are ideal for wear out in public b/c they aren't as thick as some of the other types (Secure X-plus, Abena X-plus, Dry 24/7, Molicare Super Plus) so they can fit discreetly under jeans or shorts without a noticable bulge. In my experience a thin diaper is preferable if you are going to be active and moving around for a long period of time... such as at work or school... increased comfort and decreased heat from the padding can make a big difference on whether or not you enjoy your diapered time.

Until recently I had been using the Attends for daily wear, and the Dry 24/7s on nights and weekends... however the Attends started to bother me b/c they clump up when wet and frankly become uncomfortable rather quickly. Also they tend to leak on the 3rd wetting... which means there are days where I find myself changing two or three times at work, depending on how much I drink. So I switched to using the Drys during the daytime as well. The absorbancy of the Drys is excellent... but they are quite thick and cause my inner thighs to sweat after a while. They are also very noticable under my pants... especially when they start getting full. I have found that with my current fluid intake the Dry will reach its limit somewhere between 4 and 5 PM. This leads to a complication b/c I get off of work between 5:30 and 6. So I can either change at 4-5... or try to make the soaked Dry last a little longer... which typically leads to a leaky ride home.

All this lead me to searching for a more capable thin diaper. One that would hold more than the Attends but be thinner than the Drys. A compromise, so to speak.

Thickness comparo... Super, Attends, Assurance.

So... on to the real story.

I'll start with the Assurances, since I have the least to say about them. If you didn't know... Assurance is the Wal-Mart diaper brand... and is manufactured for them by Kendall. These diapers have one thing going for them... low price. You can get a whole pack for less than $10... or about $0.50 each... which is good for the AB/DL on a budget. However, IMHO, the buck stops there. They are quite thin... the padding is short and narrow, the leak guards are inferior, and the lower tapes have a habit of coming undone at the worst moments. They don't absorb much at all... two small wettings and they are done. The outer plastic is also of a rough nature and really doesn't feel all that nice against your skin. However... they are readily available at any Wal-mart, and are certainly better than peeing in your pants... so if it's all you can get they are worth it.

Next we have Attends... which are actually thicker than both Assurance and Abri Super... thanks to the generous amount of pulp used in the padding. The padding is soft and wide... providing generous coverage into the wings of the diaper both front and rear. The Attends are soft and comfortable... they have 6 tapes which provide a very snug fit... and elastic waistbands front and rear. The plastic covering is thin and a bit loose so they crinkle pretty loudly considering. The downside of the large amount of pulp in the padding and the loose plastic is that it tends to clump up and make the diaper sag quite a bit when wet... especially if you are moving around. A soggy Attends feels like you have a wet plastic bag attached to your waist. Attends are decently priced... a case of 88 goes for $67 from XPMedical... bringing them in at $0.76 each. More expensive than the Assurances... but I think they're worth it.

Finally we have the Abri Super. I will say this is my favorite diaper of the bunch. They are a bit longer than both Assurance and Attends, and the padding comes up very high... especially in the rear.. which is good for those who like to wet while laying down, or those that like to make a mess in their diapers. The padding in the front is relatively narrow compared to Attends... but this didn't seem to cause any problems. The rear padding is very generously sized and makes the diaper quite comfortable for long periods of time. The outer plastic covering is soft yet strong... providing a more durable feel than the Attends while not being as harsh as the Assurances. The Abris have four two-ply tapes that are standard throughout their product line, allowing for once instance of refastening should it be needed. I didn't encounter any problems with the tapes coming seperated or undone. Even after vigorous activity the diaper was snug and secure... even when thoroughly wet... which is more than I could say for either of the others. Overall the Abris are very impressive... they absorb a bit more than the Attends and the padding doesn't clump or sag. Don't let this diaper's lack of thickness sway you... it really is a top notch product. I ordered these from XP as well... they charge $81 for 96 diapers... which calculates out to $0.84 each... more than Attends, but definately worth it IMHO.

Padding comparo... Super, Attends, Assurance.

Last edited:

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thanks for the review darkfinn, I know i've been meaning to try the abri-supers myself as I just can't really wear the x-plus as a daytime diaper either.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The Assurances have like no coverage when open it looks like :O

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Private
umm, whats that cheap blue thing in the middle?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If you mean on the opened Assurances, then it's some alleged "absorbant" thing...They are also on CVS diapers...I honestly haven't noticed them do anything when I wear...

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
On the topic of Attends,

Hmmm... I never checked, does anyone know if CVS sells Attends by the pack? Or are they just by the case?

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
It's some kind of "special" absorbant layer. Other diapers like Dry and Secure have it too... IDK if it does anthing different or not... it didn't seem to help the Assurances out any.

On the topic of Attends,
Hmmm... I never checked, does anyone know if CVS sells Attends by the pack? Or are they just by the case?
I have never seen Attends in a CVS retail store down here. They may just sell by the case online... honestly your best bet is to go into a CVS near you and have a look around.

goodnites2002

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I couldent see to well in the pic so I figured I would ask. What does each diaper have in the way of leak guards. I think I'm talking about "stand up leak guards". Something in addition to the leg gatherers.

Role
Other
I would suggest that you try the Secure Plus Briefs, Mediums are 76.65 for 96 which is about $0.80 a diaper, about $1.00 if you need a large. :(

They have a nice taping area, are quite absorbent for being thin, and don't clump up and don't have the taping problems that follow Abri diapers around. There only possible downside is that they are a bit noisy and made in China.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
I would suggest that you try the Secure Plus Briefs, Mediums are 76.65 for 96 which is about $0.80 a diaper, about $1.00 if you need a large. :(

They have a nice taping area, are quite absorbent for being thin, and don't clump up and don't have the taping problems that follow Abri diapers around. There only possible downside is that they are a bit noisy and made in China.
I'll have to look into the Secure Plus. So far I haven't had any tape problems with the Abri Supers... and I've pulled the tapes as tight as I possibly could just to see if something would come undone.

After wearing the Supers all weekend and to work yesterday and today I will take a stand and say that these are by far the most comfortable diaper I have ever worn. They're easy to put on... don't sag or clump when wet... aren't super thick or hot... and fit snugly and securely... I will definately be ordering a full case when I get paid on friday.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thanks for the review darkfinn, I know i've been meaning to try the abri-supers myself as I just can't really wear the x-plus as a daytime diaper either.
Darkfinn, will you let me put this in the wiki.

Me too, I someday want to try the Abena Supers

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
I tried the Secure Plus several years back. It seemed like the outer backing had more of a papery feel, even though it was plastic. I didn't care for them much. Also, many in the case had defects. They may be different now, however.

I managed to get a sample of the Abena Supers, and the design looked good. Since the size was large, it was way too big. I am hoping to get a few of the medium, so I can determine whether or not this would meet some of my needs. My experience with Abena's X-Plus indicates that the Supers should work well.

I would like to get some more information on the new Attends Extended Wear. AHP's (formerly Paper Pac) quality control has been somewhat less than desireable over the last few years. The main problem is with the fluff, which is missing in some areas of the diaper. The last case I got resulted in several throwaways. I am hoping for some improvement with their new product, given the hefty price. Of interesting note: Paper-Pac spun off the Attends line, and that division is now Attends Healthcare Products (AHP, for short).

The Honeywell 6180

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
I would like to get some more information on the new Attends Extended Wear. AHP's (formerly Paper Pac) quality control has been somewhat less than desireable over the last few years. The main problem is with the fluff, which is missing in some areas of the diaper. The last case I got resulted in several throwaways. I am hoping for some improvement with their new product, given the hefty price.
I've seen the Attends Extended Wear... my gf (LuvsGurl on here) tried some not too long ago. We were both impressed with the thickness... reminded me of old-school Attends. But they are cloth backed and are hella expensive (something like $2 per diaper). I'm not a fan of cloth backing at all... give me good ol crinkley plastic any day... and for that price I could be wearing Bambinos... which are super thirsty and super cute. I'm just not really into paying more than $1 each for something that I am going to pee in and throw away.

If you want a highly absorbant diaper that is high quality for a good price... may I suggest the Dry 24/7 brief... (Dry 24/7). I find that they are comparable (if not slightly superior) to Abena X-plus for a lesser price. They are super soft to the touch, yet durable. The only thing I don't like about them is the color... blue for medium... purple for large. If you can get over that they are worth every penny.

If you are looking for something thinner then definately go with the Abri Supers in the proper size... I'm ordering a whole case of them from XPMedical as soon as I get paid... goodbye clumpy old Attends!

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
A cloth-like outer backing really doesn't bother me, so perhaps I could give some of the new Attends a try. I never really cared for the old-school Attends, or Depends. I actually prefer today's Abenas over anything that Proctor and Gamble offered to the adult market. I remember back in the day, when the standard two-tape Attends had that horrid micro-pore liner. They were awful, to put it mildly. I feel sorry for anybody who had to wear them. Then, there was that convalescent home scent they would put in them. I once bought a case, and had to throw the whole thing out. The waistband styles were OK, but I didn't like having to deal with the three tapes.

I really don't have much of a tolerance for colored diapers. That just tends to make them look too institutional. I guess that puts me out of the market for Dry 24/7s. I just wish they would make them all white.

Rahara: Thanks for your info on the Extended Wears. I would also like to see a photo of the product its self, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.