Date Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Is there any way to change the date format on posts. I know its small and picky...but I usually end up misreading the date on the first time.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
moocow, Europe wins, America fails.

Sorry. *shrugs*

We're probably one of the few nations that use the mm/dd/yyyy format anyway. I'd confuse everyone else a whole lot more.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
i know...i was wondering if there was a way to do it on an individual basis. I wasn't really expecting them to change it for the entire forum...

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
No, I looked through the settings, it doesn't seem like there's a way to have it done. Some forum systems allow users to use the php date() function to set their own way the date is displayed, but it doesn't look like this one does, although it seems as though it'd be relatively easy to add in.

Perhaps there's an addon to vBulletin that allows it? Not too sure.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I bet there's some addon for it somewhere, given that most forums have Americans and Europeans on them.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
i know...i was wondering if there was a way to do it on an individual basis. I wasn't really expecting them to change it for the entire forum...

I figured, sorry about that.

I've been in a bad mood lately. :shrug:

I'm sure there's a way that it could be implemented.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I agree I want to be able to use mm/dd/yyyy instead of dd/mm/yyyy. I sometimes misinterpret the date on posts wrong.

Role
  1. Private
Why can't we just have the date as: 27 March 2009, or something that spells it out. Easier for aficionados of either style to read.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I taught myself to read the date in DMY format. I'd start writing it that way if the US wasn't all "lol wut".

Now I'm thinking I should teach myself Celsius and the Metric system.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
now i could probably get behind the 27 March 2009...I would still like to be able to enable a format in how I want. I guess the last thing we get to do is wait. I guess we could open a ticket in the request form if one wants.

Mesmerale: I don't really know you...but I am going to go out on a limb and say I have had days like that. And often times I will have to save an email or just go all out and delete it because I don't like what I wrote because I was in a bad mood.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
now i could probably get behind the 27 March 2009...I would still like to be able to enable a format in how I want. I guess the last thing we get to do is wait. I guess we could open a ticket in the request form if one wants.

Mesmerale: I don't really know you...but I am going to go out on a limb and say I have had days like that. And often times I will have to save an email or just go all out and delete it because I don't like what I wrote because I was in a bad mood.

I understand what you're saying. But for me, I reason that despite what mood I was in, I meant what I said. Unless I've said something really hurtful or extreme, I won't delete it.

Your mood doesn't dictate your thoughts. It only dictates which ones are expressed.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
wow...really don't like the developers of VB right now. its probably not that hard to add the field but it seems like it has been requested over and over and they still won't do it. The only mod I found was for 3.5.x and people have not been able to get it install for any version after 3.6.x grr...o well. I could possibly do it but a)probably not as easy as it sounds and b) i don't have have a copy of vbulletin or the time so... crazy developers

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
vB so far is in my eyes the best bulletin board software, some things aren't to great (price and some minor things) but most of it is very thought out and implemented.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
vB so far is in my eyes the best bulletin board software, some things aren't to great (price and some minor things) but most of it is very thought out and implemented.

agree...but being able to change the date would be nice. Anyways, unless somebody find a mod for 3.8.x then I guess this thread is done for.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I had a look myself and I couldn't find one either. So yea, this thread is done for for now.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I'd also like it to say the time it was poster aswell as how long ago. As I tend to work out both in my head. Just to help judge if replies are coming fairly fast, or it's jittering. A few posts here, then silence etc...

That's one of the most annoying features of vB IMHO. But everything else is pretty cool. I haven't really played anything outside phpBB on the admin/mod side of things.

angelabauer

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Maybe all of us should look on this whole "Date Format" discussion as being educational.

Around the world there are many time and date formats. The USA seems to be one of the few places still using AM and PM time format and 12 hour clocks as standard. Everyplace else I travel uses 24 hour clocks, as does my law firm. On our walls there are pairs of clocks, one showing United Time Coordinated, formerly called GMT. The other shows local time for that office.

There is International Standards Organization 8601 and 8601 condensed covering dates and time. This is used by most of the world. Here are examples:
8601 date yy-mm-dd or 2009-03-28
8601 cond yymmdd or 20090328
Notice the name of the month is not used, because it is spelled differnetly in different places.

In the USA generally the date would be March 28, 2009 or Mar 28, 2009

The USA military sometimes uses ISO 8601 or 28 March 2009, which happens to be the way I normally write dates.

ISO 8601 Condensed also covers time as hhmm or 1320 If necessary to get into seconds then 1320:00

ISO 8601 writes time hh:mm:sec or 13:20:00

Commercial Aviation, the USA military and my law firm, as well as me personally, use 8601 cond.

In France the 24 hour clock is standard, but written 13h 20:00

Please note that in the 24 hour system the day starts at 0000 or "midnight" and ends at 2359:59. Thus 1200 is noon, not midnight.

Maybe soon the USA will generally use ISO 8601. Maybe someday in the USA all stores will sell 24 hour clocks. A gal can dream!

Role
  1. Private
^^ Very confusing with the dates, because why would they omit the month name for a group of people who all speak the same language anyway. Surely if this were a predominantly German, or Spanish, or whatever-language forum, then using the name of the month in local dialect would make sense, no need to omit it in lieu of a more confusing system that the majority aren't keen on learning.

But yeah, I agree about the times. In a professional environment, everything here is based around the 24-hour clock, although people still casually refer to those times after midday by their correct number, like 16:00 would still be called 4 o'clock, no one says "sixteen hundred". I think 24-hour time is just used for print, except newspapers.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
  1. Private
I'd recommend going with the yyyy-mm-dd format. It's an international standard and both Americans and Europeans tend to be able to read it without thinking twice.

Yes, I'm the one that's been using ISO8601 format dates on all my college apps and anything else among the barrage of things I've had to sign after turning 18. It makes you look smarter :)

--Danny :ninja:

Status
Not open for further replies.