Curious why some people tell their parents

Leaf12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've noticed some post here where people ask about whether they should tell their parents about being ABDL or saying they had told their parents. This is not something I ever would have realized anyone would want to do before seeing these post. If someone is IC there would likely be a need to do that or maybe if a parent finds someones ABDL items if they are still living with them as an adult they might decide to be honest about why they have them. Aside from those two situations what is the reasoning behind it? I don't mean to be rude. I'm just kind of fascinated and surprised by this.

Reactions: Deleted member 52064, ChristianDiaperLover, LilxFawn and 1 other person
Maybe, they're tired of hiding that side of themselves all the time.

Or maybe they realize it's only a matter of time before their parents start asking a lot of awkward questions and just want to confess, before questions get raised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheepies, Carnifex, CaterpillarSick and 5 others
Maybe

You are in luck because I am one of those people that told my parents i was not and still not living with them when I told them about it.

There are a few reasons I told them first being that I could never shake the feeling of dread and worry hanging over me from being an abdl. I wanted to control my fear and decide how and when it came out and to what people. The major reason though is abdl has always been a part of me and it is never going away I need someone to know that part of me and my parents mean a lot to me. If I was married most likely I would have told my wife and possibly not told my parents.

I know a lot of people think it is just a fetish but to me it is more as strange as that sounds it is part of who I am. I know people hate comparing being gay to abdl but it's really the best way I can describe why you tell your parents and that would be the same reason you would tell them you are gay because it's a part of who you are.

I have never actually told my parents that I am ABDL, more like I stopped living with my Dad and most of my Family a long time ago and it never felt Urgent enough to tell them.

Eventually while trying to be secretive I have slipped up a number of times and my Mom has found evidence and confronted me and keeps trying to get me to stop.

I wonder if I would have actually been better off attempting to explain it earlier and explained that it's better than Self Harm at least (Self Harm is destructive and stupid, but it did help me to feel better and function at some point, even if it didn't actually solve anything and just added to my problems)

Reactions: TeddyBearCowboy and diaperfooties
I told my parents that I was wearing diapers ( even though they already knew) only because I did not want to be upset with the fact it was my choice to wear diapers.
My parents knew I wore diapers when I was s teenager and said little about it as I did not wear them often in my early teenage years, was not until I turned 16 and I purchased my first package of diapers that they mentioned it.
Once I was on my own I started wearing diapers daily and let my parents know that from that day they could/should expect me to be diapered.

Reactions: Deleted member 51994, Babyfur, Nervosa and 1 other person
I guess it’s balancing it against the stress of hiding it. If you still live at home, that’s a real challenge. Even if you haven’t lived with them for many years, there’s still the hassle of hiding everything away ahead of family visits, just in case anyone snoops around or accidentally stumbles across something. Sometimes you just think it would be easier if they knew, while appreciating that would risk permanently changing your relationship in one way or another.

i agree that because of guilty feeling or shameless.
like them, i confessed my dl side to my mother, when i was 15. but coudn't get any emphathy or approval.

for some its about having those you care about you understand and know about it so you don't have to hide this part from them

When I told them 15 years ago I did it because my mom was a control freak and stuck her nose in everything she could, even though I was 21 at that time she had no right to intrude in my private life but she's like "If you live here then deal with it".
5 years later I got teh opportunity to buy this house so i acquired more "power" in control so to speak but she literally doesn't care and still sticks her nose in some things, but it's less than before.

When I told her in 2004 I first looked up a lot of information, wrote a big letter, and read it , she freaked out, called me a pedo, almost wanted to report me to the police, we had huge arguments for weeks, and even until today she still hasn't forgotten nor forgiven.

As to why I told it, she would have found out eventually. she hears the crinkles very well (her hearing is better because her eyesight isn't) and since she snoops around my stuff she'd have found stuff anyway. She once did 4 years later anyway when she found a cloth diaper and a paci, and instead of being happy I woke up from a coma, she snarled she found "stuff" in my room....

• Sad
Reactions: MrGnome and JWolf
The people I live with found out by randomly when she went into my bedroom and looked in my cubed and when they found out I just told them the truth but they even after they found out they did not allow me to have them in the house so until I move out I got no diapers. But then know I’m a little because I’m still into my little pony and Pokemon.

Reactions: NooNoo
For me the only reason i told my mom was because i am bad at hiding things, she was a snoop and i knew she would find out anyways

Reactions: NooNoo and Fireheat
For me, I was running out of options.

I live at home and don't drive, but for several years had managed to get a limited amount of diapers and baby gear to use secretly. In 2017 however, my doctor raised a false alarm and thought I had a serious medical condition. I was later cleared by a cardiologist, but when I got that news I knew I couldn't keep the secret any longer. If I was going to have this health issue, I was going to need the things that comforted me the most.

So shortly after getting off the phone with the doctor's office, I set my box of diapers on my bed, called my mom into my room, and gave her a brief rundown. She was completely cool with it, and told me I never needed to hide it.

For me, it was 100% the right decision. Getting diapers is a lot easier now that I can just plop a pack of training pants into the shopping cart. Hanging out watching cartoons with a sippy or bottle of chocolate milk doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Now my dad is a different story. I have no absolutely no plans on telling him, and really he doesn't need to know, seeing he works full time whereas my mom stays at home.

Reactions: TeddyBearCowboy, perlFerret, NooNoo and 1 other person
diapernh said:
For me the only reason i told my mom was because i am bad at hiding things, she was a snoop and i knew she would find out anyways

I have been into Diapers since around 12-13

I have been confronted a number of times over the years following

I got confronted with Used Diapers I put in the garbage before (with other garbage on top of it when the garbage should have been taken out soon after that) and my Mom would try to shame and embarrass me to stop

I never did, only thing that treatment did was make me feel bad about it

Reactions: Fireheat
Leaf12 said:
I've noticed some post here where people ask about whether they should tell their parents about being ABDL or saying they had told their parents. This is not something I ever would have realized anyone would want to do before seeing these post. If someone is IC there would likely be a need to do that or maybe if a parent finds someones ABDL items if they are still living with them as an adult they might decide to be honest about why they have them. Aside from those two situations what is the reasoning behind it? I don't mean to be rude. I'm just kind of fascinated and surprised by this.
If diapers are a fetish to someone then yeah I'd also question the need to tell anyone other than your partner. However, for the vast majority we are ab or dl, which means we do not necessarily have a diaper fetish. When this is a part of who you are then it becomes a much different set of reasons to include or at least inform those close to us. Not to include them in any way, but so we do not have to hide who we are. This also saves those close to us from accidentally stumbling on our diapers/etc.

Reactions: Deleted member 48455 and Fireheat
Slomo said:
If diapers are a fetish to someone then yeah I'd also question the need to tell anyone other than your partner. However, for the vast majority we are ab or dl, which means we do not necessarily have a diaper fetish. When this is a part of who you are then it becomes a much different set of reasons to include or at least inform those close to us. Not to include them in any way, but so we do not have to hide who we are. This also saves those close to us from accidentally stumbling on our diapers/etc.

I think most of us just want to to be allowed to do what makes us Happy in life

For most of us on this website, Diapers are a huge part of that in some way

I think for most of us it's less about any Sexual component it may at times have (depending the individual), and more about relaxing and enjoying ourselves

I think most of us would have been happy to just be allowed to enjoy our Diapers, not to necessarily talk about them or to openly wear around our loved ones, or to involve them in any way.

Just to be allowed to do what we want without being made to feel Ashamed or Embarrassed about it

Last edited:
Reactions: NooNoo, Leaf12, Slomo and 2 others
I never told them. But they knew. They just let it go as not their business. I'm hapoy with that.

Reactions: JWolf, Leaf12 and Fireheat
I tried to keep it hidden, but my dad found my used diapers in the trashcan in a Walmart bag. He asked if I was incontinent and I told him I like wearing them. He also found my baby stuff and he is okay with all of that. One thing I'm not okay with is he's trying to get insurance to pay for my diapers, but I know that's not gonna work.

Onesieman said:
I tried to keep it hidden, but my dad found my used diapers in the trashcan in a Walmart bag. He asked if I was incontinent and I told him I like wearing them. He also found my baby stuff and he is okay with all of that. One thing I'm not okay with is he's trying to get insurance to pay for my diapers, but I know that's not gonna work.
In all things, one must take the good with the bad.

I mean, it could've been worse, like, for instance, being committed to a sanitarium...

diaperfooties said:
You are in luck because I am one of those people that told my parents i was not and still not living with them when I told them about it.

There are a few reasons I told them first being that I could never shake the feeling of dread and worry hanging over me from being an abdl. I wanted to control my fear and decide how and when it came out and to what people. The major reason though is abdl has always been a part of me and it is never going away I need someone to know that part of me and my parents mean a lot to me. If I was married most likely I would have told my wife and possibly not told my parents.

I know a lot of people think it is just a fetish but to me it is more as strange as that sounds it is part of who I am. I know people hate comparing being gay to abdl but it's really the best way I can describe why you tell your parents and that would be the same reason you would tell them you are gay because it's a part of who you are.
Interesting. To me I do think of it as a fetish for myself even though I do recognize that its a part of me also, but I would be uncomfortable with my parents knowing about that part of me and think its ok to be selective about which parts of myself I choose to share with others including my parents. However, people have very different relationships with their parents and some share everything while others are more guarded. I also am LBGTQ in both gender and sexuality but the ways in which I identify in regards to those things changed years ago but I never really offered to clarify to my parents though they would know due to the partners I've had. I originally came out to them as a lesbian which didn't end up being right. If they ask specifically I'm honest but it can be awkward. My mom kind of asked me if I was trans once and I think I said no because I didn't want to physically transition but in different words. Technically I do fall under the trans umbrella because I'm not cis but I don't think I knew that the definition of trans was that broad at the time or how to explain genderqueer to her or if it mattered if I did. Hopefully I explained how I felt somewhat ok but I can't remember. Also , I think my parents now just realize I can end up with any sex as a partner.

Reactions: Fireheat and NooNoo
Back