credits/crinkles/diapers going extinct?

What should we do with the credits system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Having the crinkles is ok only if there's something cool to do with them, like trade for some goodie or privilege. I voted yes/public because I want to see what is coming down the pike. If it doesn't happen, I am indifferent.

The other stuff is don't-care for me unless it gets overbearing. I kind of like the idea of knowing if someone has gallery entries or a blog, so I could go look if i like the member or am curious. Referrals? not really necessary to put on a post, but leave it in the viewable profile. Rep, of course, should stay.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
In the end I decided the only solution was to find some way to put a "threads created" counter on postbits and profiles. So, a lot of requests, some php and mysql programming, and lots of reading later... this is done.

Your postbit (the bit on the left next to each post) now shows how many threads you have posted. It also shows how many gallery uploads you've made. Your profile will show both of these things, along with a "threads/uploads per day" counter.
As said elsewhere I think the rep system is as close to ideal as is possible, in terms of its mechanics. What a repcount means depends on how rep is used; the reasons people get rep (or don't) or how many reflects the nature of the community, what sorts of thing they want to applaud.

I don't think crinkles did any harm, but they did't do much good either, so I am glad to see them go. On the other hand, activity per day is a more useful metric; if a person is absent for a period it is useful to have a stat that reflects this. Measuring activity based on threads is not as accurate as one based on posts/day. On the other hand, we want to maximise, not simply high activity, but posting high quality posts ie curtail spamming. It is much easier for mods to monitor and delete/move and merge threads than individual posts. With such a high rate of new members and new posts, reading all of them is getting nearly impossible, certainly for one person. I myself spent a night trying to read all the new posts (not the whole thread) and reply to the ones I could contribute to. I went hell for leather: and the rate of new posts incoming outpaced the number I could deal with!!

So I applaud Moo's posts/images per day count. I think it will do the job crinkes was meant to do only much better, and more simply and with less confusion; confusion because the crinkles formula was partially secret, and the new formula is out in the open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moo

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i agree with fullmetal -- i really like the thread count in the postbit. it's made me realize that i haven't posted any threads on the new forum, and gotten me thinking about threads i'd like to start.

really excellent idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.