credits/crinkles/diapers going extinct?

What should we do with the credits system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
As you know, I introduced credits (also known as crinkles) to the site to provide a way for users to track their activity stats better.

Frankly, my main motivation for doing this was that I wanted to encourage people to post more threads. Because, I have found, more threads = more active forum. But there was no way to do this with the existing tools, because thread count isn't displayed anywhere.

I implemented the credits system with a focus on new threads to try to encourage this. But people quickly complained it was yet another ranking system, and one with dubious value.

So I changed it to be a private number only displayed to each individual person. Then people said that since they couldn't compare their score with other peoples', the number was meaningless.

In the end I decided the only solution was to find some way to put a "threads created" counter on postbits and profiles. So, a lot of requests, some php and mysql programming, and lots of reading later... this is done.

Your postbit (the bit on the left next to each post) now shows how many threads you have posted. It also shows how many gallery uploads you've made. Your profile will show both of these things, along with a "threads/uploads per day" counter.

Now that these improvements are in place, I'm considering removing the credits system. Currently it is still installed, but invisible.

On the one hand, having it installed and active means that things are slightly more complicated than they need to be. On the other hand, people might like it.

So... please vote. :)

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I'd be okay with either the second or third option. I just wish there was something we could do with the crinkles - you know, a little shop to buy meaningless trinkets or some kind of nifty thing or maybe extra smilies, stuff like that. I don't really see it as a competitive thing but if it becomes that then hiding it is okay with me.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I voted enable it and let credit scores be visible to all (or whatever it says (I've forgotten already)).

The reason I did this was 'cause...well...I'm competitive :-D

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I voted no. It's a spam fest waiting to happen.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It really doesn't make any difference to me, if the system stays then good, if it goes then no matter.

Lone_Wolf

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I said no also, i agree with Thallis it could be a spamming issue in the future

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I didn't use crinkles for any way other than a quick notification to me to let me know, each time I log on, if a conversation I was a part of or a thread that I had started expanded! I know there are other ways to look at those things, but I knew in an instant by seeing that the numbers had changed that there was activity that had happened concerning a thread with which I was familiar.

I voted for keeping them visible and not hiding them. Why not? Numbers are great!

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
Well, I said disable them, and uninstall.... due to the fact that they really don't serve much of a purpose.
Unless...
If there was some way to implement them for something..shall I say, fun?
Like maybe little e-prizes Like a custom avatar, Dj for a day (still getting the server tweaked), Extra smiles, access to a secret forum like the VIP, or for those java scripters out there maybe a little "room" that you use crinkles to deck out, and a crinkle lottery.
Just floating ideas....cause all I see right now is a number.

Last edited:

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I don't like the idea of credits to be used for buying stuff etc. because I think it'll be a hinder for what I think this community is so great for: Just being a tight community where the main thing it's all about is the other members. See it as a community center (how we are now) VS a mall (how it'll be when we implement that.)

Like I said, I think adding that will take the focus off each other and put it on what you can buy etc.

Role
Private
Right now, credits are pretty much useless to me. A store or something is an okay idea, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Either way, I'm still going to come here and post as I always have.

Flanders

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I like the idea of having crinkles, because it think that it is a better way of showing how a member behaves in the community. The main reasons are:
1. The reputation system can be biased.
2. Post can be influnced greatly by spamming.
3. Crinkes I believe is influenced by how many people respond to your thread and posts, so if someone post valuble information the number goes up.

My ideas for improvment: (if possible)
1. Inactivity for a period of time causes loss of crinkles.
2. A excess of spamming will cause loss of crinkles.
3. reputation points and/subtractfrom crinkles. (may already happen?)

~Ned~

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I say enable it and let it be public, I mean, rep. is public. I don't think it will turn into a spam fest, if that was the case, those people who would spam to get more crinkles would also spam to get their post count up.

Flanders

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I say enable it and let it be public, I mean, rep. is public. I don't think it will turn into a spam fest, if that was the case, those people who would spam to get more crinkles would also spam to get their post count up.
Except that post count alone dose not get you anything? Inorder to become a vip you also need a high reputation, and moo's approvial; I believe. If that is the case then spammers would loose reputation.

Role
Diaper Lover
As soon as we have some use for them, I want them, if we don't have a use for them it doesn't matter to me.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
we already have the most busy, complicated postbits of any forum i've ever seen. credits are just one more thing to add to that that don't really serve much of a useful function. i never felt any kind of motivation on account of credits. mostly the only way they effected my life is that people kept coming into the IRC room to ask what they were and we'd have to figure out how to explain it.

i'd say do away with credits, for the sake of simplicity.

F

FullMetal

I'll give my two cents since I did not vote. I think its awesome with all the new things and all but it seem a little too much. Moo is really trying everything out for us, to just see what would work, so stop getting all frustrated, they can be done away with, this is just the deliberation process.

Anyway, I like that we have the rep and I like the thread and post count, but thats it. I don't see a need for Referrals, Blogs or Gallery Uploads. It really seems very over crowded and just not needed. I like how we have post count and thread count because then people can go directly to other posts or threads made by you- because maybe they have an interest in what you have to say. The Reputation is good because it shows whose posts to look at that the community appreciates and can be very beneficial to new members. The blogs, not everyone has interest and you can really just go to the blog area. I think it would be better if that plus the the gallery upload links could be put in your profile because its a more personal thing.

So for me:

Down with credits
Down with referrals
Down with Gallery uploads
Down with blogs
Down with those little dogs that only annoy people and have annoying barks!

Up with reputation
Up with Thread counts
Up with Post counts
Up with those awesome gummy worms you get in the movie theater

FullMetal

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I like the idea of having crinkles, because it think that it is a better way of showing how a member behaves in the community. The main reasons are:
1. The reputation system can be biased.
2. Post can be influnced greatly by spamming.
3. Crinkes I believe is influenced by how many people respond to your thread and posts, so if someone post valuble information the number goes up.

My ideas for improvment: (if possible)
1. Inactivity for a period of time causes loss of crinkles.
2. A excess of spamming will cause loss of crinkles.
3. reputation points and/subtractfrom crinkles. (may already happen?)

~Ned~
Rep can be biased but it is in general pretty good.
Post count *can* be influenced by spamming, but there are countermeasures taken against this, such as posts in spam-prone forums (like the thread games forum) not counting towards your post count.
Crinkles are indeed influenced by how many people reply to your topics.

Inactivity doesn't cause a loss of crinkles, AFAIK.
Spamming DOES cause a loss of crinkles, but this is driven by the community. Someone who posts a spam post might get it deleted by a mod, or might get negative rep. Each point of negative rep results in a substantial number of negative crinkles. Each time a post or thread someone makes is deleted, they also lose crinkles.
Conversely, someone who gets reputation also gets a boost to crinkles. Not a huge boost, but a boost.

Except that post count alone dose not get you anything? Inorder to become a vip you also need a high reputation, and moo's approvial; I believe. If that is the case then spammers would loose reputation.
Post count does get you quite a few things. It can get you promoted from lurker, to newbie and then regular.

Becoming a VIP requires 10 rep, 25 posts and 7 days of being registered on the forums.

Becoming a VIP does not require my personal approval. The reason for this is that I feel I wouldn't do a good enough job. I might be biased, or not have the time to appoint VIPs when they deserve it. Plus it would open a nasty can of worms where people who don't get VIP complain / feel victimised, and people who do get it are accused of sucking up to me... etc.
Having VIP status awarded or removed automatically by an automatic system with set rules makes the whole thing much fairer, IMHO.

M

Matrix Blade

I think we should keep them, because they could be very useful in the future.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'll give my two cents since I did not vote. I think its awesome with all the new things and all but it seem a little too much. Moo is really trying everything out for us, to just see what would work, so stop getting all frustrated, they can be done away with, this is just the deliberation process.

Anyway, I like that we have the rep and I like the thread and post count, but thats it. I don't see a need for Referrals, Blogs or Gallery Uploads. It really seems very over crowded and just not needed. I like how we have post count and thread count because then people can go directly to other posts or threads made by you- because maybe they have an interest in what you have to say. The Reputation is good because it shows whose posts to look at that the community appreciates and can be very beneficial to new members. The blogs, not everyone has interest and you can really just go to the blog area. I think it would be better if that plus the the gallery upload links could be put in your profile because its a more personal thing.

So for me:

Down with credits
Down with referrals
Down with Gallery uploads
Down with blogs
Down with those little dogs that only annoy people and have annoying barks!

Up with reputation
Up with Thread counts
Up with Post counts
Up with those awesome gummy worms you get in the movie theater

FullMetal
What he said.

:bf-kitten-groom:

Status
Not open for further replies.