Creative ideas for old Toshiba laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf3188

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
So, I thought this might be a fun thread.

Earlier this year I picked up an old Toshiba Satellite laptop from the late 90's for $20. I was planning to use it as a music machine, but I have since acquired something more suitable, and after that I had no idea what to do with it.

So I thought, i'll post a thread here and see what you guys think. I'm up for the idea of destroying it in some crazy way, finding any purpose for it that you guys might think of, modding it somehow or anything really. Basically i'm just looking for inspiration.

Let me know your best ideas :smile1:

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
You think that's old? :p Anyways I made a thread similar to this a while back, you can go ahead and look at it here.

I ended up selling it and made $100 :p

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Sissy
Nothing really useful you can do... There are some novelty things but a more powerful computer would work better. So just sell it and get some money back.

I'm turning an old laptop of mine into a FreeNAS server... So there's an idea.

Khaymen

Full Patch
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
A chic new home for Alfalfa Sprouts?

Put a hole in the monitor and post it note on it that says "This is what we do to computers who give us trouble!" as a warning to the other machines.

BoundCoder

nnember
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
Depends on how geeky you are ;p

If you're into electronics and programming, you could use it as a control box for.. just about anything. Maybe mount some motor/wheels on it, a (few) web cams, and turn it into some kind of robot.

S

Supersam1223

Take it apart and fill the inside of it with gunpowder and then blow it up!

WildRoseBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Unless out in the middle of nowhere, that's the kind of idea that will probably end in the back of a squad car ;p

Even out in the middle of nowhere you do not want to be around a laptop battery when it ruptures. Just shooting it can make a good boom.

ZakRoo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
naw... don't destroy it. you could do so many cool things with a case like that.
you could even try and refit a little dell notebook inside it. epicccccc in a can. :D

Wolf3188

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
Nah, I don't think i'm gonna try anything cool with it like turning it into a robot, or refitting newer components into it. The case is kinda broken anyways. I think I will try something like Thermite, it doesn't owe me much and that'd give me more enjoyment than anything functional it can do.

Thanks for the suggestions anyways guys!

BoundCoder

nnember
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
I think I will try something like Thermite, it doesn't owe me much and that'd give me more enjoyment than anything functional it can do.

If your going to destroy it, at least do something creative man! Just packing something with explosives or covering something in thermite to see a huge fireball is so .. mythbusters..

More importantly, the laptop adds nothing to the experience. You could just as easily blow up a watermelon (ok, maybe less interesting with thermite) or an old VCR. This is a computer! Have some fun!

Possible thoughts:

- take the heatsinks off everything
- rig the battery to fail (big disclaimer: as someone above pointed out, very dangerous)
- introduce some shorts to see what the thing does
- wire in a big capacitor somewhere

For a slightly less insane idea, if you have some friends and a gun, you could turn it into a one-play game by:
- setting up a video to continuously play
- taking turns shooting the laptop.. the goal being not to stop video playback (again, big disclaimer about the battery)

Disclaimer: as I said in an earlier post, if your doing any of this in your suburban back yard.. you're probably gonna get arrested...

Wolf3188

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
If your going to destroy it, at least do something creative man! Just packing something with explosives or covering something in thermite to see a huge fireball is so .. mythbusters..

More importantly, the laptop adds nothing to the experience. You could just as easily blow up a watermelon (ok, maybe less interesting with thermite) or an old VCR. This is a computer! Have some fun!

Possible thoughts:

- take the heatsinks off everything
- rig the battery to fail (big disclaimer: as someone above pointed out, very dangerous)
- introduce some shorts to see what the thing does
- wire in a big capacitor somewhere

For a slightly less insane idea, if you have some friends and a gun, you could turn it into a one-play game by:
- setting up a video to continuously play
- taking turns shooting the laptop.. the goal being not to stop video playback (again, big disclaimer about the battery)

Disclaimer: as I said in an earlier post, if your doing any of this in your suburban back yard.. you're probably gonna get arrested...

Yeah man, the whole idea of this thread was to do something fun with it. And, I live on a property out of town, and have a couple of single shot rifles at my disposal. I think I will indeed do something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.