Creative and unusual childhood punishments

feetintrouble

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Do you remember any creative punishments (or "consequences" as they seem to be called nowadays) from your childhood, from home, school, or seeing them happen to others? Here are some I recall. Not all of them happened to me, but I saw or heard of them:

Being made to walk barefoot outdoors, when I kept taking my shoes off. I didn't like that one! I was also a sock refuser, so another time I was made to wear sneakers without socks for a whole day in summer, to teach me the hard way why this was generally a bad idea, and I was made to sniff them. Nothing terrible happened, not even a blister, and from then on, I really liked it! ;) So that one backfired.

When two boys aged 7 were messing about in school assembly, the head teacher wheeled out a pushchair (in front of the entire school), and cheerfully offered them the chance to sit in it, if they were going to "behave like babies".

Another two boys who laughed when being told off were made to laugh in a mirror.

When a child at the zoo was misbehaving "with attitude", her mother pulled her winter hat over her eyes, and kept her blindfolded like that for ten minutes, leading her by the hand, so she missed seeing some of the animals. I wanted that to happen to me instead of her!

When a Sunday school teacher was using a slide projector to tell us a Bible story, I was far more interested in that equipment than the story. The next week I was given the task of operating it, which was presented as a mild punishment, but of course I revelled in it.

I often got into trouble for not doing school work, but if I was ever given extra work or a menial task as a punishment, I used to call the teacher's bluff by doing it as well as I could; sometimes they were clearly surprised.

More of a forfeit than a punishment: a youth group held a sponsored silence, during which we had to sit in a circle and read our books in silence. Any child who spoke was blindfolded for three minutes. Only those who stayed silent throughout got sweets at the end. I got blindfolded at least twice; I was a terrible fidget, and used to talk to myself a lot.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
You usually just got whacked when I was kid.
There was, though, a rumour in primary school that one particular teacher would force victims to hold their hands in a bucket of ice and then he'd hit their hands with a coal shovel.
(But where would he get a bucket of ice in 1970s Britain???)

The only strange thing which I ever saw happen was in upper school with a teacher who'd whack you across your knuckles with the edge of one of those metre-long rulers (yardstick?).
I saw that happen at arm's length 😁

Luvshugs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I don’t know if you would call it punishment so much. But when I was really young, (early 60’s) I liked to escape our yard, and wander. Neighbors would call my mom, to say they saw me walk past. We had a fence, but it had a gap at the gate. My dad put a board in the gap, that didn’t stop me! So, my mom dug out the harness she used on my older sister and me, when we rode in the pram/carriage. It was a zip a babe harness, and it was impossible to remove yourself. There was a zipper in back, that could not be reached. I had that put on me, and a tether that tied me to the back porch! It was long enough to let me roam the yard, but not escape! There was nothing you could do to get lose of the thing. So I guess it was kinda a punishment, cause I know I didn’t like it. I have vivid memories, of my older sister teasing me, by leaving the yard, to go play elsewhere, and leaving me tugging at my leash, crying. I still have a fondness, for those baby leash/ harness things. 😄
Later, my mom’s standard punishment, was the wooden spoon!
CD947A53-5A4F-4FC2-A1AD-765CCCD89D2C.jpegC877C638-4FF4-41D4-809A-982C9E364EF4.jpeg

Stevepw

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
  5. Incontinent
  6. Carer
Forgetting your p.e.kit and having to do it in your "underwear" needless to say being in nappies and forgetting my pe kit was even more embarrassing than the regular kids punishment. Think this lead to my public humiliation fetish 😂

Ukiwa

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
You usually just got whacked when I was kid.
Yeah. That was kind of the standard punishment when I was a kid, too. Some parents (mine) took it to an abusive extreme, but other parents might just offer a swift swat on the butt. Outside of the family, even public school punishments for severe infractions were "swats" with a paddle from the principal or a vice-principal and another adult witness.

Probably the most effective creative punishment ever used on me was at the Catholic elementary school I attended. They didn't do the swat thing, but their "detention" for getting in trouble of any kind was that you stayed after school for 1 to 2 hours and assisted the janitor in cleaning the school, the grounds, and the adjoining church. In fifth grade, I got a three-day detention for not doing my homework. After three days of giving up my precious after-school time to clean toilets, scrub floors, wipe windows, and polish desks, I made sure to never get detention again!

feetintrouble

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
I don’t know if you would call it punishment so much. But when I was really young, (early 60’s) I liked to escape our yard, and wander. Neighbors would call my mom, to say they saw me walk past. We had a fence, but it had a gap at the gate. My dad put a board in the gap, that didn’t stop me! So, my mom dug out the harness she used on my older sister and me, when we rode in the pram/carriage. It was a zip a babe harness, and it was impossible to remove yourself. There was a zipper in back, that could not be reached. I had that put on me, and a tether that tied me to the back porch! It was long enough to let me roam the yard, but not escape! There was nothing you could do to get lose of the thing. So I guess it was kinda a punishment, cause I know I didn’t like it. I have vivid memories, of my older sister teasing me, by leaving the yard, to go play elsewhere, and leaving me tugging at my leash, crying. I still have a fondness, for those baby leash/ harness things. 😄
Later, my mom’s standard punishment, was the wooden spoon!
View attachment 54483View attachment 54484
I think I would have liked to be in one of those harnesses, I never was. In the UK, parents are often very divided on the use of "reins" as they are known. One camp will say "children are not dogs"; the other will refer to their "bolters", and say "better dogs than dead children".

Last edited:

Chamed

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
I think I would have liked to be in one of those harnesses, I never was. In the UK, parents are often very divided on the use of "reins" as they are known. One camp will say "children are not dogs"; the other will refer to their "bolters", and say "better dogs than dead children".
Harnessed as a kid. I harnessed my kids and especially the grandson. He would run if given a chance. He took off once while in the harness and on a leash. I yelled stop and he didn't. Next thing he was on the ground when the leash ran out. We were about 20 feet from a parking lot.

Luvshugs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I think it’s always been a kind of tug of war, over the acceptance of putting a child on a leash, or reins. I do believe, the use of reins, has gone over better in the UK though.
I know at the time, I didn’t appreciate my harness, at least some of the times. But, as an adult, and for safety sake, if needs be for child’s safety, I’d use one 100% of the time, I don’t care what others don’t like about them.
I wore one, in the pram, or carriage as they say here in the US, my stroller too, and as I said, I wore one to keep me in the yard. But, I don’t think I ever wore it when we were out at the shops, etc. I don’t remember having worn it then?