My Name Is Earl
Becker
Just Shoot Me
George Lopez
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
The Ex List
The Secret life of American teenager { Cmon srsly? }

Why do the networks fill our TVs with junk?

Role
Private
My parents are currently fans of Two and a Half Men.... I've seen a few episodes and I think it's a decent show. The humour is more adult oriented, so it doesn't feel so immature.

Other than that, there are a lot of crappy TV shows out there...

...and a lot of crappy script-writers too.

S

Secret

Yeah but the jokes seem soooo forced. And that one kid in it is just doesnt seem funny at all to me, I do hate most CSI's tho but I love the opening song. THE WHO FTW

Role
Private
Yeah but the jokes seem soooo forced. And that one kid in it is just doesnt seem funny at all to me, I do hate most CSI's tho but I love the opening song. THE WHO FTW

You're right there. But then again, all comedy in the scripted media is "forced" to some degree. It's all about how well the cast presents it and how realistically they can pull it off so it seems as natural as possible. If I wanted true comedy, I'd watch reality TV, but unfortunately those shows are even worse.

CSI is good... but I only like the original one.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Two and a half men- Funny most of the time
CSI- Needs to go away because it is very boring.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
They sure have been pumping out a lot of crap lately. I'd still prefer most of the shows in your list over a lot of that reality crap they are pumping out. Like Nanny 911, Super Nanny, Kid Nation, etc. Those are three examples of reality crap I couldn't stand at all, there is plenty more though. I tend to watch more discovery channel type stuff than anything else.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I absolutely adore Discovery Channel, SciFi Channel, History Channel, and Comedy Central. Two And a Half Men is pretty funny some times. I like CSI, but I hate how scripted it is.

I absolutely loath every reality show on MTV and VH1. It's SO scripted that its not even funny, in fact I scoff at their stupidity. *hits TV with tail*

Ever seen "Date My Mom"? G's To Gents? New York Goes To Hollywood? I Love New York? I Love New York 2? Oh my God...WORST SHOWS EVER!

New York is a *****y ****off who is so self absorbed, I am surprised no one has shot her yet...No volunteers? Fine...

How ever, I do really enjoy Dirty Jobs, which is on Discovery Channel. It's interesting to know what I don't want to do. I love Myth Busters, and I have only seen one whole episode of Smash Lab, but seems pretty good, also.

Future Weapons is another one of my favorite shows, in which lots of guns and explosions are shown...I, too, one day hope to shoot a grenade half a mile and blow up a truck full of terrorists.

Well, I am WAY off topic...Ever seen That's 70's Show? So annoying...Someone please shoot Fez...

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
two And A Half Men-still going
Joey- canceled
Stacked-canceled
Til Death- might still be on but really who cares.
New Amsterdam- is it still on?
Back To You- Kelsy Grammer a great comdian/actor that's being used for worthless shit.
Chuck- Not a sitcom
Lipstick Jungle- Sex In The City ripoff
My Name Is Earl- boring, to me at least.
Becker- canceled and old
Just Shoot Me-canceled and old
George Lopez- That's canceled I think
Big Bang Theory- CBS looking to fill the hole raymond left.
How I Met Your Mother- Still looking for raymond
The Ex List- Stupid
The Secret life of American teenager - Juno was funny, ABC wants a slice of that cake.

List of awesome tv shows that can might teach ya something.

MythBusters
Modern Marvels
The Deadliest Catch
Survivor Man
Man Vs Wild, (even if they bear cheated somewhat)
The Universe
Pen And Tellers Bullsh!t (Showtime, DVD)
Anything on the military channel
Anything on The Science Channel

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I like My Name is Earl! And Big Bang Theory!

The rest of them I've either never heard of, or don't appear on proper TV channels.

Advantage of living in Britain: All American programmes go through the ****-filter and so we tend to only get the decent ones. Or at least, we don't get loads of this rubbish.

*Wonders if America gets any British Sitcoms*

Surely The Office and Extras?

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I'm so glad I don't have cable anymore. LuvsGurl & I got tired of paying $50/mo to watch ABSOLUTELY NOTHING... so we told the cable company to take a hike. Now we watch only what we want to thanks to the glories of free wireless internet and Netflix. I do miss watching the news sometimes... but I can get all the lovely stories about the US economy going down the drain and the two Presidential candidates squabbling off of Yahoo for free as well.

Woollyneck

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Other
All I've seen of any of those shows is about ten minutes of Just Shoot Me. I hardly ever watch TV; it's not productive, and they are plenty of other things I'd much rather do. I pretty much only watch while I'm eating, and everytime I turn the TV on it's straight to the Discovery Channel. Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are some of the only good shows on television; and, despite it being incredibly boring, I actually enjoy How It's Made.

The only sitcom I've ever actually looked forward to seeing is Flight of the Conchords, but I had to watch all the episodes on the internet because I don't have HBO.

Also, I have a Seinfeld DVD that watch every once in a while.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I enjoy How I Met Your Mother, but mostly only because of the actors in it. Other than that, sitcoms as a whole are a pretty awful genre. I am somewhat biased because I hate laugh tracks, but even looking beyond that, there are very few that manage to be funny to me, simply because very few are able to come up with anything vaguelly original.

There are some good ones, of course, like Arrested Development (not that it's around anymore), but personally, I prefer British ones to American. As Charlie F. mentioned, The Office (both versions, really, though I prefer the original by a tiny margin) and Extras are both excellent, as is Spaced.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Arrested Development is absolutely fantastic, highly recommended to everyone with a sense of humour.

Can't say I've heard of many of the shows mentioned in the OP, My Name is Earl was okay at first but I lost interest in it. The titles listed don't exactly fill me up with expectation though.

In terms of American sitcoms, I used to love Frasier and Seinfeld was always chucklesome, if you can count The Simpsons then at its height it was the best thing on television. There some good British ones (The Office, Spaced, Father Ted (British-Irish), Peep Show, I'm Alan Partridge...) but there is also at lot of rubbish that wouldn't get exported abroad so I don't know if the average quality is higher or not.

Fawlty Towers is the best sitcom ever made though. It's just perfect.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
The only shows I really miss.

Family Guy
King of the Hill
American Dad

S

Secret

King of the hill ! now that is a great piece of television, the humour is so minimalist yet sooo good

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The only thing I watch is the local, and the world news, on the networks, as soon as they are over I switch to TCM, to see what is on, and I check out the other movie channels, and if I don't like what is on those, I go for the science channels.

you can learn something new everyday.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I absolutely adore Discovery Channel, SciFi Channel, History Channel, and Comedy Central. Two And a Half Men is pretty funny some times. I like CSI, but I hate how scripted it is.

I absolutely loath every reality show on MTV and VH1. It's SO scripted that its not even funny, in fact I scoff at their stupidity. *hits TV with tail*

Ever seen "Date My Mom"? G's To Gents? New York Goes To Hollywood? I Love New York? I Love New York 2? Oh my God...WORST SHOWS EVER!

New York is a *****y ****off who is so self absorbed, I am surprised no one has shot her yet...No volunteers? Fine...

How ever, I do really enjoy Dirty Jobs, which is on Discovery Channel. It's interesting to know what I don't want to do. I love Myth Busters, and I have only seen one whole episode of Smash Lab, but seems pretty good, also.

Future Weapons is another one of my favorite shows, in which lots of guns and explosions are shown...I, too, one day hope to shoot a grenade half a mile and blow up a truck full of terrorists.

Well, I am WAY off topic...Ever seen That's 70's Show? So annoying...Someone please shoot Fez...
List of awesome tv shows that can might teach ya something.

MythBusters
Modern Marvels
The Deadliest Catch
Survivor Man
Man Vs Wild, (even if they bear cheated somewhat)
The Universe
Pen And Tellers Bullsh!t (Showtime, DVD)
Anything on the military channel
Anything on The Science Channel
The only thing I watch is the local, and the world news, on the networks, as soon as they are over I switch to TCM, to see what is on, and I check out the other movie channels, and if I don't like what is on those, I go for the science channels.

you can learn something new everyday.
Myhtbusters is Great
Modern Marvels is a great show where you can learn things
The Deadliest Catch i dont watch.
The Deadeliest catch, eadeliest catch,
Survivorman i dislike because he brings a ton of non essential things with him.
Man VS Wild is a GREAT show only the clothes on his back and a knife.
The Universe, Decent.
Pen and tellers bullsh!t never heard of in my life.
How Its Made, Still waiting for them to do Disposal Diapers :dunno:
[who knows, maybe if all of adisc send them emails they will do it :rolleyes:]
Military channel dont have. :sad:
Science Channel dont have :sad:
Simpsons, like but rarely watch.
South Park Funny as hell

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Survivorman i dislike because he brings a ton of non essential things with him.
Man VS Wild is a GREAT show only the clothes on his back and a knife.
Pen and tellers bullsh!t never heard of in my life.
1. Survivorman (aka Les Strouds) uses items that you will have in the situation. No one goes rock climbing, rafting, boating etc with only a knife.
2. Man Vs Wild is a good show but bear grills dose not explain stuff as well as Les does.
3. I said Bullshit is on Showtime and on DVD. The show is 30 mins long and they tackle issues that are "bullshit". The last one was "Stranger Danger" where they discuss that the likelihood of your child being kidnapped is WAY less likely then something even worse happening to your kids such as being in a fatal car accident. They also did a great episode on how backwards PETA can be.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, , Carer
Arrested Development is absolutely fantastic, highly recommended to everyone with a sense of humour.

Can't say I've heard of many of the shows mentioned in the OP, My Name is Earl was okay at first but I lost interest in it. The titles listed don't exactly fill me up with expectation though.

In terms of American sitcoms, I used to love Frasier and Seinfeld was always chucklesome, if you can count The Simpsons then at its height it was the best thing on television. There some good British ones (The Office, Spaced, Father Ted (British-Irish), Peep Show, I'm Alan Partridge...) but there is also at lot of rubbish that wouldn't get exported abroad so I don't know if the average quality is higher or not.

Fawlty Towers is the best sitcom ever made though. It's just perfect.
Ditto on Arrested Development--brilliant writing and acting, terrific timing. Can't recommend it enough.

In the way of good drama, anyone here watch Mad Men? That's a great show--writing and acting are great, and it gets better with each episode.

But yeah, there's a ton of crap TV out there. Note, in particular, Two and a Half Men, Secret Life of the American Teen, Stargate Atlantis. I guess people don't recognise good writing when they hear it.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Ditto on Arrested Development--brilliant writing and acting, terrific timing. Can't recommend it enough.

In the way of good drama, anyone here watch Mad Men? That's a great show--writing and acting are great, and it gets better with each episode.

But yeah, there's a ton of crap TV out there. Note, in particular, Two and a Half Men, Secret Life of the American Teen, Stargate Atlantis. I guess people don't recognise good writing when they hear it.
I seen Secret Life of the American Teen in way to many formats already and the original TV show Stargate is more then enough for me. I also tried to watch Mad Men but I couldn't get into the setting at all. However Breaking Bad was pretty good, its like a more darker "Weeds".

Status
Not open for further replies.