Cox suspended my internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
For a couple hours. I told my mom and she went on the phone with them. She just came and knocked on my door and asked if I downloaded a movie on may 15th, No country for old men. I'm like "no..." and she said the RIAA caught an illegal copy and traced it to our ip and Cox suspended our service. I just "no i didn't download anything". Even though my mom knows I use limewire and bit torrent and all that nothing like this has ever happened. It caught me off guard and I guess I gotta lay low on the pirating.

Weird thing is I downloaded that movie back in march or april.

Anyone else have anything like that happen to them?

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Even if you hadn't done it, they could have accused you. They're known for false accusations. I mean, they got the date wrong! That proves they're a bunch of idiots. Try to stay away from torrents and just use direct downloads. (I'm sure the stuff is out there on some file upload site, like filefactory or some place like that, but it may be hard as hell to find) There are safe ways to get stuff.... a regular torrent on any public torrent site usually has some risk attached (even though it may be low). And private torrent sites are usually safer, but they can be really hard to join sometimes. And no... this has never happened to me. If it did, then I'd be ranting about it 24/7.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Isn't that a breach of contract by your ISP?

I know for a fact that (at least here) your ISP is not responsible for what you do on the internet - they just provide you with the gateway to the internet in exchange for your money. I mean your local bus company won't refuse to let you board a bus because some police officer thinks you may have used the bus to go to a bank you've robbed.

Pirating copyrighted material is a criminal offense, so the only parties involved in punishing you is (1) the court system for criminal charges and (2) the person or company holding the copyright to the material you've illegally downlaoded. How does your ISP come in?

Personally, I'd get a new ISP immediately, terminate the contract with your current ISP immediately due to breach of the terms of your contract and ask for your money back plus compensation for the time without internet service.

Peachy

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
It's a criminal offense in Germany. It's civil in the USA.

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Too bad I can't terminate it. I'm not the person who pays for the ISP.

Yeah I mostly go to private sites now anyways.

Peachy

Banned
Role
It's a criminal offense in Germany. It's civil in the USA.
Copyright infringement is not a criminal offense in the U.S.? If it wasn't here, the movie industry couldn't do jack sh*t here to find anyone illegally downloading anything because they'd have no way to ever find out the name behind an IP.

Peachy

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
I think in some cases it is considered criminal (like selling counterfeit DVDs or online movie leaks before the movie has even hit theaters.... major stuff like that), but it's usually considered civil. I mean, you're not going to get jail time for downloading regular movies in the US.

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Stick with private bittorrent sites... the public ones and limewire etc aren't worth the risk.

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
In some countries the ISP is responsible for what you do. Its completely ridiculous but its just the way it is in some places.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
what a bunch of crap... I mean honestly... who cares if people download music or movies...

greedy entertainment industry bastards... if you all didn't demand hundreds of millions of dollars just to get out there and act like fools movies wouldn't cost $7-10 to get into or $20-40 to buy and people would get them legally...

2low

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
i got suspended 4 times for reciving a virus on teh pc yeah my virus software caught them , Rogers = ubber Crap

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
i got suspended 4 times for reciving a virus on teh pc yeah my virus software caught them , Rogers = ubber Crap
Your blaming that your ISP made you download a virus? :laugh:

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Although I won't go into too much detail considering it's not allowed to talk or encourage bittorrent etc here, just stay with the private trackers and you'll be fine. I have yet to get a seize and desist letter from my ISP (Cablevision).

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
In places like China, they sell official DVDs for EXTREMELY low prices just so people don't buy the fakes. Maybe they should consider doing the same thing in other places of the world. I'd buy a lot more DVDs if they were only about $4 a piece. While they're mostly $20.... I don't think I'll be buying too many.

it's not allowed to talk or encourage bittorrent etc here
If that's true, then that's just siding with the RIAA/MPAA/etc. by ignoring the issue and suppressing opinions. That can't be right, can it? Should be allowed to speak freely as long as we don't link to the stuff, right? :eek:

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
well just don't talk about specifics. we don't want this to turn into a warez debacle. so no specific sites and such, but as far as litigation factors go go right ahead.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
That's what I thought. You can talk about it, but just don't provide links to anything. That's how it is on most sites. It's fine with me. I was just worried for a second that it was against some rule to just say I support file sharing, since that can technically encourage it. :eek:

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
what a bunch of crap... I mean honestly... who cares if people download music or movies...

greedy entertainment industry bastards... if you all didn't demand hundreds of millions of dollars just to get out there and act like fools movies wouldn't cost $7-10 to get into or $20-40 to buy and people would get them legally...
Because you think it's more fair to download stuff for FREE instead of paying a relatively reasonable amount of money to watch a movie? Actors and producers work ****ing hard to make movies, they invest millions in them. I download movies illegally, but at least I'm not saying I should. I'm sure a lot of albums would have gotten into the top sellers if it wasn't for torrent sites.

Role
Private
Isn't that a breach of contract by your ISP?

I know for a fact that (at least here) your ISP is not responsible for what you do on the internet - they just provide you with the gateway to the internet in exchange for your money. I mean your local bus company won't refuse to let you board a bus because some police officer thinks you may have used the bus to go to a bank you've robbed.
What you're describing is the "Common Carrier" clause that we used to have and abide by that effectively said that the ISP just give you a path to the 'Net and nothing more. "Common Carrier" also gives you (the ISP/provider) immunity against someone downloading something illegal. All of this changes, however, when you start filtering anything - you (the provider) then become accountable for what goes down the pipe, as you've demonstrated that you can (and will) filter traffic.

Pirating copyrighted material is a criminal offense, so the only parties involved in punishing you is (1) the court system for criminal charges and (2) the person or company holding the copyright to the material you've illegally downlaoded. How does your ISP come in?
In the Land of the Unfree, Home of the Litigious, ISPs have buckled to pressure from the FBI and other law enforcement bodies. I believe they're (ISP) required to keep traffic records on the order of years now; many turn them over to law enforcement without so much as a subpoena. But, then, this is very fitting when one considers all the PEN/TAPs that have been going on and post-facto signing statements that the most recent administration over here has made.

Personally, I'd get a new ISP immediately, terminate the contract with your current ISP immediately due to breach of the terms of your contract and ask for your money back plus compensation for the time without internet service.

Peachy
Ah, but this implies choice and freedom.

Unfortunately, in the 'States, having either is becoming an increasingly smaller option. About the best one can hope for is to obfuscate & encrypt traffic when possible. I encrypt most of my chats with OTR (Off-The-Record). I'm also putting together some research that uses steganography as a "plug-in" to a forum system. I try to use TOR and encrypted clients whenever I head out to torrents (mainly of free-to-air TV shows that are in effect time-shifted, but I don't have the resources to argue this in front of a court). One final word about having (or making) freedom over here: the LaBrae honeypot researcher gave up further work/development a few years back given Michigan's adoption of "Super DMCA" legislation. The lines were drawn in such a way that the researcher thought his work may now be illegal to carry out. I'm not sure how this ended up, but it's chilling to think of the change that has taken place in this country over the past 20 years. This country, I think, is what the movie V for Vendetta describes.

As for choice, I'd be hard-pressed in this country to find an ISP that held their ground and demanded (at last) subpoenas and Due Process be served before turning over any traffic logs.

In some countries the ISP is responsible for what you do. Its completely ridiculous but its just the way it is in some places.
Welcome to America.

Peachy

Banned
Role
In the Land of the Unfree, Home of the Litigious, ISPs have buckled to pressure from the FBI and other law enforcement bodies. I believe they're (ISP) required to keep traffic records on the order of years now; many turn them over to law enforcement without so much as a subpoena.
Everyone knows your legal system is screwed up. Over here, we have Data Protection laws, and leaking your customers' data to anyone is also a criminal offense, and that includes law enforcement agencies that do not have the proper documents to demand the data. No ISP will succumb to any private anti-pirating agencies when they face criminal charges for breaching data safety and facing the customer's wrath and essentially running the company into the ground. So ISPs won't do anything as long as they can claim they're only providing the gateway to the internet. Also, the government cannot make the ISPs filter content without infringing upon everyone's right to receive censorship-free information, and ISP filtering content voluntarily will most likely disappear from the market pretty soon.

In other words: It won't happen here, unless someone changes our legal system!

Peachy

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Because you think it's more fair to download stuff for FREE instead of paying a relatively reasonable amount of money to watch a movie? Actors and producers work ****ing hard to make movies, they invest millions in them. I download movies illegally, but at least I'm not saying I should. I'm sure a lot of albums would have gotten into the top sellers if it wasn't for torrent sites.
Sure, they need to make money, but that doesn't mean sharing a bunch of 1s and 0s should be wrong. People have found a way to get something for free.... and "free" is a bad word.

Most people that download tons of albums would have never bought them in the first place. They may not even be able to afford them in some cases. Artists get their money from performances anyway. Most of the price of a CD goes to the record labels... a lot of record labels don't care much about the artists. Anyway, if you download a band's music, then you're another person that might show up at a concert to actually give the band some money (through tickets, merchandise, etc). If you never hear the band because you don't download music or buy it, then that's one less fan they'll have. And if you like the band enough, then you might end up buying their CDs anyway... even after downloading them. (I do in many cases. The CD is like.... a trophy or something)

a relatively reasonable amount of money to watch a movie?
That's the problem. It's not really reasonable anymore. Ticket prices have gone up and up and up over the past years. The only theaters with reasonable prices are the discount theaters that show movies that have already been out for a while. A discount theater causes about 50 cents to four dollars. At a regular theater, one ticket is usually $7 or more. Want some popcorn? They overcharge for that too.

Why should the rich companies and corporations be favored anyway? They pretty much have what they need. The rest of us need our money... we don't have hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. It's a big joke because even with people pirating stuff, the entertainment industry still makes plenty of money.... they're just whining because they want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.