could this have caused my incontinence?

StarWars7 said:
My medication causes my incontinence and over active bladder just urinary though

Rip

It is possible your bladder could have been stabbed. When I had my suprapubic catheter implanted, the er doc stabbed me with a scalpel right at my waist line. I was numbed so I couldnt feel the skin penetration, but definitely felt the bladder penetration. It was only an inch deep too, and very much felt like a baloon popping.

This all said, the bladder is very quick to self seal and repair itself (like in less than 30 minutes, seriously). The bladder (sacral) nerves are also located at the back of the bladder, near the base of the spine. As such, it is very unlikely the stabbing would have led to your incontinence problems. Though even if it had, as mentioned before, your symptoms would have manifested much sooner.

Can chronic bed wetting cause incontinence too?, because I have had cerebral palsy since birth and was a bedwettter until age 18 and I still have an occasional leak, my most memorable accidental wetting was at the age of 17 on December 23rd, 2008. The day before that, I had to go to the hospital to have a total hip replacement surgery because my natural hip had been dislocated for three years, and the surgeon had placed a catheter in my bladder to prevent bed wetting.I thought this was a bad idea because I thought it could cause incontenence once it was taken out, and that afternoon I had it taken out.Unfortunately, I woke up the next morning and my pajamas and bedsheets were soaked with pee, and it wasn’t even my bed! I was so embarrassed because everyone who was there knew I had peed my pants like a baby. “Darn I should have worn my Goodnites”, I thought because then nobody would have known I had an accident.This was rubbish because I was almost 18 and I just had a huge accident, that night I went home and I kept having incontenence for the next few days and had to sleep with my legs strapped down to prevent moving the wrong way, as a result I couldn’t walk to a bathroom to pee, about a 2 weeks later on January 8, I was cleared to go back to school. I decided to finally confess that I was a bed wetter for years because the anxiety had finally gotten to me, and making it very difficult to sleep.This was unhealthy because I had to be awake at 5 in the morning to catch the bus to school. My teacher had told me that most people who have cerebral palsy struggle with urinary incontinence, and I decided that when I went home I would wear a GoodNites that night in case I had an accident again. That night I actually did pee myself again but I wasn’t embarrassed this time because I had my GoodNites on. I have finally outgrown bed wetting but I still have to pee a lot due to an underdeveloped bladder and I still leak a little bit occasionally because I have neuropathy now, so the nerve signals are wrong

Bedwetting or nocturnal enurisis is more common than most people realise both in the disabled and "normal" society it usually clears up on it's own by about age 21, but stress or anxiety can cause a temporary period of bedwetting. Neuropathy can also cause incontinence depending on where the nerve problem originates from. and yes people with CP do battle with continenence some manage ok some are totally incontinene it depends on the severity of the CP and what parts of the brain and autonomic nervous system is affected.

Danielgartin6993 said:
Can chronic bed wetting cause incontinence too?, because I have had cerebral palsy since birth and was a bedwettter until age 18 and I still have an occasional leak, my most memorable accidental wetting was at the age of 17 on December 23rd, 2008. The day before that, I had to go to the hospital to have a total hip replacement surgery because my natural hip had been dislocated for three years, and the surgeon had placed a catheter in my bladder to prevent bed wetting.I thought this was a bad idea because I thought it could cause incontenence once it was taken out, and that afternoon I had it taken out.Unfortunately, I woke up the next morning and my pajamas and bedsheets were soaked with pee, and it wasn’t even my bed! I was so embarrassed because everyone who was there knew I had peed my pants like a baby. “Darn I should have worn my Goodnites”, I thought because then nobody would have known I had an accident.This was rubbish because I was almost 18 and I just had a huge accident, that night I went home and I kept having incontenence for the next few days and had to sleep with my legs strapped down to prevent moving the wrong way, as a result I couldn’t walk to a bathroom to pee, about a 2 weeks later on January 8, I was cleared to go back to school. I decided to finally confess that I was a bed wetter for years because the anxiety had finally gotten to me, and making it very difficult to sleep.This was unhealthy because I had to be awake at 5 in the morning to catch the bus to school. My teacher had told me that most people who have cerebral palsy struggle with urinary incontinence, and I decided that when I went home I would wear a GoodNites that night in case I had an accident again. That night I actually did pee myself again but I wasn’t embarrassed this time because I had my GoodNites on. I have finally outgrown bed wetting but I still have to pee a lot due to an underdeveloped bladder and I still leak a little bit occasionally because I have neuropathy now, so the nerve signals are wrong

The first thing to do is to go see a professional, and do the medical tests :)

I will do it in July because that’s when my next checkup is

Daniel, i don't know what part of the US you live in, but if you are having bladder issues then you should make an appointment much sooner than July, That way they can do whatever testing is needed or advise things like pelvic floor muscle exercises or medication.

And also I did keep a bladder diary on my iPhone but the app I used says ‘unable to connect to server” although my phone has an internet connection, if I can’t access that data I’ve read that to diagnose invontenence the doctor fills your bladder with water until your bladder overfills,knowing me I’ll wet myself before the test is finished and I don’t leak often but I’m very embarrassed when I do it

Danielgartin6993 said:
And also I did keep a bladder diary on my iPhone but the app I used says ‘unable to connect to server” although my phone has an internet connection, if I can’t access that data I’ve read that to diagnose invontenence the doctor fills your bladder with water until your bladder overfills,knowing me I’ll wet myself before the test is finished and I don’t leak often but I’m very embarrassed when I do it

Well, from my first cystoscopy on I basically sat in my own urine each time.
If it is done on purpose, ie filling the bladder until overflow, the doc will take care of that as well.

Danielgartin6993 said:

firstly there is no reason to feel embarrasedyou will be dealing with medical personell who spend their enire days doing these tests. As far as the injection of water into your bladder is concerned they inject very slowly and ask you to tell them when it starts to feel you are full or if it gets painful, they very rarely add enough water to make you wet yourself, If you do you are in a gow, the table is protected and you are catheterised anyway, but again the nurses are used to this and if needed will help you clean up, but i suggest you take wet wipes in with you. As far as your diary goes, just do one on paper.

And also when I get sick I almost always leak, one time when I was sick I fell asleep and forgot my GoodNites and woke up completely wet

I’ve read that the medication used for incontinence can cause urinary tract infections, which also cause bed wetting, my cousin Jeri had a urinary tract infection once and she peed her bed

Weren’t you embarrassed when you peed yourself like that because even when I leak a little bit I’m embarrassed and I’m so distressed over trying to hold it in at night,I’m in the bathroom peeing when I’m supposed to be in bed sleeping
Andybun said:
Well, from my first cystoscopy on I basically sat in my own urine each time.
If it is done on purpose, ie filling the bladder until overflow, the doc will take care of that as well.

Reactions: Andybun
Danielgartin6993 said:
Weren’t you embarrassed when you peed yourself like that because even when I leak a little bit I’m embarrassed and I’m so distressed over trying to hold it in at night,I’m in the bathroom peeing when I’m supposed to be in bed sleeping
No I wasn't.
I was sitting in an examination chair with some sort of drainage system when I had my cystoscopy. And I was made aware prior to the examination that urine will leak out. Besides, I worried about other things at the time, since it feels rather weird when the camera gets shoved up your penis and crosses the sphincter.

Last edited:
I would be e
Andybun said:
No I wasn't.
I was sitting in an examination chair with some sort of drainage system when I had my cystoscopy. And I was made aware prior to the examination that urine will leak out. Besides, I worried about other things at the time, since it feels rather weird when the camera gets shoved up your penis and crosses the sphincter.
i would be embarrassed about that because I don’t even like leaking in an unprotected bed, one time when I was sick i peed myself completely and soaked my bed and I didn’t put on a diaper to protect myself, and then I put on a diaper after changing my bedsheets and completely soaked that too when I fell asleep that night ! It didn’t leak but it was very warm wet and heavy , I was 13 and still bed wetting and I even had an unprotected accident at the age of 18

Danielgartin6993 said:
I would be e

i would be embarrassed about that because I don’t even like leaking in an unprotected bed, one time when I was sick i peed myself completely and soaked my bed and I didn’t put on a diaper to protect myself, and then I put on a diaper after changing my bedsheets and completely soaked that too when I fell asleep that night ! It didn’t leak but it was very warm wet and heavy , I was 13 and still bed wetting and I even had an unprotected accident at the age of 18

Those exam chairs ARE protected. You sit on a pad, and the chair is shaped so any urine will "spill" into a container. That's how much it is expected you will leak pee. It's completely different from sleeping in your own bed, un-protected.

How protected are they because I sometimes pee myself entirely when I’m sick
Slomo said:
Those exam chairs ARE protected. You sit on a pad, and the chair is shaped so any urine will "spill" into a container. That's how much it is expected you will leak pee. It's completely different from sleeping in your own bed, un-protected.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Danielgartin6993 said:
How protected are they because I sometimes pee myself entirely when I’m sick

The MANY I've sat on where the standard medical table quality types (the kind they often pull that rolled paper over). Padded plastic that will not absorb anything liquid. It all just runs off, and they can wipe it clean in one swipe. The chairs are all angled so anything will run just one way. The seat between the legs are also "cut out" so as to create a sort of funnel. And below that is a large basin that collects all of your pee. So yeah, they have planned for you to loose your bladder control. Totally normal, and to be expected.

My doctor said that the nerve damage is permanent so my incontinence can’t be cured, that nerve will have to be snipped off

And also that wouldn’t help my current issue because when I leak a little occasionally my bedsheets will get wet because of my sleeping position

Back