Could ABDL desires be caused by too much attention & love from parents and minders when one was a baby?

EternalBaby94

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Could ABDL desires be caused by too much attention & love from parents and minders when one was a baby?

As an only child I would have received almost constant & undivided attention from my parents when I was a baby. Wondering whether my ABDL desires are my body's attempt to re kindle the undivided love and attention to return to a time with no responsibilities, pressures of daily adult life?

Last edited:
Reactions: ABbilly
Honestly, I think maybe yes and no. My parents smothered me but they in NO way loved or cared for me. They were horribly emotionally and physically abusive. I barely have any happy memories as a child. I think one of the reasons I regress is so I can live through a childhood I never had and always wanted. Maybe for some being overly loved can cause it, but I know for a fact that being neglected emotionally has definitely made regression a coping mechanism for me.

Reactions: EternalBaby94 and Blekyss
anecdotally I would say it was just the opposite as a lot of us seem to have some form of abuse or trauna in our childhood.

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor, BL75, TeddyBearCowboy and 3 others
For me I think it is the fact that I didn't have much as a child. My parents would fight often back then and I only had one thing to turn to for comfort and those were my diapers. That is just a theory for I cannot remember most of this time period. But I have been interested in diapers basically my whole life.

I think lack of attention, and neglect possibly. Interesting topic though:-1

Reactions: BL75 and ABbilly
Mine was def very abusive from both parents, it wasn't until one of Aunties took me in for a short time after my parents death that I caught a glimpse of what parental love should be and not what it was.

From what little I am able to remember, my childhood was the opposite .

Honestly it could be a any number or things. We all have reasons to be an abdl. My parents was never overbearing or abusive. I don't think there was ever any trauma in my path for me to like this i just like diapers. The only thing I can think of is I was really difficult to potty train and wear diapers longer than I should have.

Reactions: BigKid25, ABbilly and Rezzu
I've tried and tried to figure out my origins but cannot. I do however take extreme comfort in the fact that I have found peace with my little side. I had a wonderful upbringing and was not lacking in much. Maybe it is just a desire to return to a simpler time in my/our lives. Regardless, being a little, from time to time, is an amazing place to reside !

Reactions: MillyBelle7
My parents gave me up to an adoption agency and it wasn't until I was 2 that I was adopted. My new parents loved me all my life but that wouldn't have happened in those very early formative years from 0 - 2.

Gaga94 said:

Could it? Sure...

I say that because no one has been able to give a clear reason why someone is or is not ABDL. So why not with too much attention and love.

For me personally, I had what I would say is a 'normal' upraising. I did wet the bed for several years. This was probably the reason I became ABDL but I'm not 100% sure it is the reason.

Reactions: BigKid25
Unclear. I see it go both ways, but the one answer I refuse to accept is from "Madge", the AB/DL store owner on the CSI: Las Vegas episode "King Baby", thusly...

Madge: "Okay, then, I'll just cut to the short version. Some guys can never love any woman but their mother. And some never had a mother who loved them."

Reactions: WABX and ARBBB2
My theory is that a lot of us are trying to make up for lost time, so to speak. Be that because we didn't have a happy childhood or loving parents, through abuse or trauma and the like, or because we feel that it got cut short, i.e. being forced to grow up too quickly. Maybe in OP's case, they wish to go back to a simpler time because they don't feel like they were ready to leave that bubble?

• Love
Reactions: BigKid25
Schwanensee said:
My theory is that a lot of us are trying to make up for lost time, so to speak. Be that because we didn't have a happy childhood or loving parents, through abuse or trauma and the like, or because we feel that it got cut short, i.e. being forced to grow up too quickly. Maybe in OP's case, they wish to go back to a simpler time because they don't feel like they were ready to leave that bubble?

This probably comes the closest to summing up what my thoughts are.

As others have mentioned, theres no definitive answer as to why we're ABDL at all. This is a nature vs. nurture debate that has gone on as long as people have had these tendencies and desires. I would wager it ultimately comes down to deeply wanting to be cared for with no responsibilities, and it makes sense why most of us would have found things to be a bit easier as babies.

Even if we had Adverse Childhood Experiences, I have seen first hand working as a support counselor for foster youth that children still love their parents very deeply even if they have been abused. This leads me to believe that although we can look back with 20/20 hindsight to see the negative aspects of our lives, subconsciously, I would wager we can still find moments of peace, care and love that we craved as children through all the chaos and pain.

If those pockets of positivity were absolutely 100% nonexistent, people typically develop severe emotional detachment and sociopathy to the point where they would probably view the ABDL dynamic with a more controlling and humiliating flare to it. However, that is entirely conjecture and is by no means definitive truth.

Last edited:
My childhood was the opposite. I never felt loved.

• Sad
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
For me, no doubt it was the opposite, absentee mom.

• Sad
Allegro said:
For me I think it is the fact that I didn't have much as a child. My parents would fight often back then and I only had one thing to turn to for comfort and those were my diapers. That is just a theory for I cannot remember most of this time period. But I have been interested in diapers basically my whole life.
DITTO!!

• Sad
My mother was a narcissistic explosion and a borderline whirlwind. I never knew if I was about to get hugged or hit. She didn't trust me to do basic things, never showed me how, and would then resent me for not doing them. I didn't dress myself, do my own laundry, cook for myself etc. until pretty late in childhood because I was not allowed to. I was conditioned to be dependant so that I could be admonished for my dependency. My father was emotionally and otherwise unavailable/ inaccessible.
My favorite example of how useless and awful they were...they never even taught me how to tie my shoes, yet pissed when my shoes were always coming untied. No one ever showed me and by the time I should have known, I was afraid to ask anyone. I still make bunny ear loops today. This was the course of most things and I am mostly an autodidact. I cannot functionally learn most things unless I teach myself in some roundabout mixed up , unconventional manner.

Did all this influence my ABDL and other proclivities ? Probably, it influenced a lot, but none of it came from a place of over nurturing or loving attention.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Edgelyn, BigKid25 and BobbiSueEllen
Yes but in the (ABDLI+) scheme of things that origin story may be rarer.
If you over-baby a child whilst they're still forming/plastic/all that ...then baby-stuff attachment is a risk
...I'm not a parent though.

Back