Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrierlilfolf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
I have an amd phenom ii x2 550 be with a MA-785GM USH2, and I just tried and succeeded on unlocking the two extra hidden cores. The thing is, the CPU temperature is normaly between 50 and 79ºc, when idle and when doing heavy stuff, like 3d rendering, but with the extra cores it goes up to 56 and 93ºc again respectively.
The unlocked cores seemed to work well, and the only apparent issue is with the heating.
Would it be safe to run the four cores if I get a more powerful fan, and clean the computer?
I would reaaally love the extra horsepower, as I can't afford an upgrade, and need to do some 3d work on this thing XP

Role
  1. Private
I have an amd phenom ii x2 550 be with a MA-785GM USH2, and I just tried and succeeded on unlocking the two extra hidden cores. The thing is, the CPU temperature is normaly between 50 and 79ºc, when idle and when doing heavy stuff, like 3d rendering, but with the extra cores it goes up to 56 and 93ºc again respectively.
The unlocked cores seemed to work well, and the only apparent issue is with the heating.
Would it be safe to run the four cores if I get a more powerful fan, and clean the computer?
I would reaaally love the extra horsepower, as I can't afford an upgrade, and need to do some 3d work on this thing XP
If you cannot afford an upgrade, you cannot afford for this machine to break.

Clean the computer, upgrade the fan if you can, and just do rendering overnight rather than during the day.

It'll take you longer to render a scene/movie, but you will have this performance reliably. In my mind, this is better than ZOMG-AWESOME performance ... until it suddenly dies and catches fire.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Sissy
Get a better CPU Fan, When you unlocked the core the voltage and all that increased the heat output.

Wolf3188

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
I would recommend this one:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

I am using a Phenom II X4 955 with a mild overclock to 3.52GHz, and it is currently sitting at 30 Celsius, getting to maybe 50 or 60 when doing intense work, using this cooler. I would also recommend that you clean out all the dust in your case / fans, and perhaps look at mounting an intake fan or two if you don't have one.

You should be fine to use the extra cores, AMD's Phenom and FX stock coolers are known to be pretty rubbish.

Brickhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I'm not sure what your budget is, but have you considered water cooling? You can get an XSPC Rasa kit fairly cheap if you look hard enough. I'm running a triple 120mm radiator setup in mine, just using distilled water with a few drops of copper sulfate for biocide, and the highest temperature I've seen under load is 41 degrees Celsius, and that's on a hot day with an overclocked CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.