Connecticut and Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little2Roo

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Little
Did any of you see the news yesterday, about the Connecticut Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage? Yeah for gay marriage!! Ok, 3 down, 47 more to go. (In case you don't know only California and Massachusetts have "gay marriage", other states have civil union or domestic partner laws). Does this decision effect anyone here? Anyone moving to Connecticut?

MyWorld

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I am just hoing that those other 47 others start working a lot faster. I have never understood the issue with Gay Marriage, the constitution never specified the difference between sexes. This little peice of legislature was never very good at the fact that there are men and women, it only points our a couple in a a relationship.
Simply by the act of not allowing the marrage the constitution is being broken.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
I don't really like the idea of gay marriage, I mean, I dont care if 2 people of the same sex get married, but lets just not announce it all over the world. I have no problem with people being gay though. May they all live happy lives!

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I don't really like the idea of gay marriage, I mean, I dont care if 2 people of the same sex get married, but lets just not announce it all over the world. I have no problem with people being gay though. May they all live happy lives!
I agree with this in some ways. I personally love to hear that gays are getting married because it means we're progressing as a nation.

At the same time, There are some things that really ought to stay private (I'm looking at you Exibitionist Infantilsts), but I don't hold it against you for Having Homosexual marriage under your personal list of things-that-should-remain-private.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Eh, I guess Im just sick and tired of everything in the news such as the eco-crisis and the election, just kinda want a break from everything.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
MyWorld08;110458 Yeah for gay marriage!! Ok said:
Here in California there is a massive push/proposition to ban gay marriage again after 4 people went behind the backs of millions of voters. Anyways you can find this in the mature topics board. I have no idea if Connecticut had a state wide vote on wither to ban gay marriage or not but either way I don't live anywhere close to there. As for me I am mostly nonsexual.

Whatever may happen with gay marriage I don't really care. However that's not to say I would not vote on the issue if given a choice.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
I'm of the belief that if two people are happy with each other, then they should be able to get married and be together in the eyes of the govt too. I'm asexual so I don't really like guys or girls, this is just my opinion out of my beliefs and values. It's a free country.

B

Butterfly Mage

Well... In Maryland, my partner and I have ZERO standing under the law. I don't care if it's called gay marriage, civil unions, domestic partnerships, or Adam & Steve. What I want is the same rights that straight couples have, since my partner and I pay the same taxes as straights.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm from Connecticut and I don't believe in marriage, Gay, straight or between ducks. If two people love each other and make a commitment to each other it is no business of the state or any religious group.

Leave the humans be!

Nam

Little2Roo

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Little
The Connecticut Supreme Court, in explaining why "civil unions" are not good enough (i.e. not constitutional) referenced the "separate but equal" principle that was behind the old segregation laws in this country. The idea that a group of people can somehow be given the "same rights" but under separate institutions has been proven to be a complete failure in this country - separate schools, separate restaurant sections, separate drinking fountains/restrooms for God's sake! By creating a separate institution for gay people called "civil unions", society is trying to return to its segregationist past, and we create what the court referred to as a "suspect" group of people. Just replace the word "nigger" with "faggot". I know that is ugly language, and I am NOT suggesting that racial inequity is identical to sexual inequity. People of color face daily challenges that are DIFFERENT than those of gay people (AND vice versa). Nevertheless, in the eyes of that Court, the underlying principle of segregation behind "civil unions" is thus unconstitutional.

my :twocents:
MyWorld

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It's about time our country grew up. I agree if two people pay taxes, why shouldn't they have the same rights as everyone else! One thing to remember however is that once married, you can lose half of your property in an ugly divorce.

I think it's sad that people have to have smaller groups to hate. I tell my kids at school when they want to fight, "If you don't like the violence that's in the world, then don't contribute to it." We all want peace in our own lives. We should remember that most everyone wants that. We are either part of the problem, or part of the solution.

B

Butterfly Mage

It's also important to note that the Religious Right used to cite the Bible for justifying slavery as well as for damning the thought of inter-racial marriage. The Religious Right really do need some smaller group to hate at all times. I guess it keeps their mind off the fact that their Bible is a heavily edited cobbled-together collection of stories.

Institutionalized hate and legislated inequality is always a bad thing no matter what way you frame it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer
I happen to live here, and believe me, I already went through this entire fiasco back when they were pondering civil unions. I even got a few opinions printed in the paper with regard to all the vitriolic "DEM QUEERS GON' BRAKE UP TEH FAMULLY UNIT!!!" shit i'd seen clogging it up prior to that.

I supported the civil unions, because, at least in Corrupticut, a gay civil union was a gay marriage in every single way, shape, and form, EXCEPT it wasn't called marriage. This allowed the gays to have all the benefits of marriage, and had the added bonus of giving a big ,,|,, to all the "ADAM&EVE NOT ADAM&STEVE!!!!!!" protestors. In my opinion, it was a good COMPROMISE.

But that wasn't enough. The gays said having to form civil unions somehow (still) made them second class citizens to straights who could partake in this joyful 'marriage' thing. The anti-gays shrieked and screamed that civil unions meant they'd be going for gay marriage next (And lo and behold, they did).

I swear i'm the last moderate left in the country. Everyone is either liberal to the point of "Do whatever you want so long as you don't kill anybody else", or conservative to the point of "Live your life like how I say you should live your life or YOU DIE! YOU DIE AND YOU GO TO HELL!" And less than a month 'til Judgement Day '08...... Joy.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Great news. Too bad Obama and Biden aren't actually in support of gay marriage.

Vaultin

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Good. Hopefully a dem magic 60 can get a country wide measure pushed through.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
, Other, Private
I tend to worry about more important things going on in the world than gay marraige, but apparently the rest of the civilized world has dealt with it, so we Americans might as well deal with the issue rather than ignore it.

To me, the more interesting part is not the controversy over weddings with 2 grooms or 2 brides, but more of the legal advantages that come with marraige.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Florida will have an amendment this november that deals with this. If amendment 2 passes marrage will stricktly be seen as one man and one women. Personal I think people are just showing their ignorance and close-mindedness when they say no to gays getting married.

Role
Straight or gay, we're all people. I think gays should have the same rights as straight people do.

Role
Private
1). Being gay is not natural.
Sure, because society always rejects unnatural things - like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning, tattoos, piercings and silicon breasts.

2). Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay.
In the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall, or having goth friends will make you a goth. Being gay has nothing to do with peer pressure or wanting to assimilate into a sub-culture.

3). Legalising gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behaviour.
People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract. Lamps are next. I love lamp. *rubs his lamp suggestively*

>_>

4). Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all.
Hence why women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5). Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed.
And we can't let the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage be destroyed.

6). Straight marriages are valid because they produce children.
So therefore, gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our population isn't out of control, our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7). Obviously gay parents will raise gay children.
Since, of course, straight parents only raise straight children.

8). Gay marriage is not supported by religion.
In a theocracy like America, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. Read the bible, whilst it does point out homosexuals will burn it hell, Jesus himself never once condemned homosexuality.

9). Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home.
Which is exactly why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10). Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms.
Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Status
Not open for further replies.