• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Conficker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kams

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
So this huge virus, which is supposed to be released in a few hours, has been generating a lot of buzz lately. I was just curious as to what it actually does and if anyone has been unfortunate enough to have had experience with it. As far as I know, I'm safe from it because I have a Mac (not to sound like a fanboy), or does it affect Macs too?

It is supposed to come out on April 1st, so perhaps it's just some hacker's April fools joke. Anyway, thoughts on this?

Here's the link to the Yahoo! article.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Since you brought up Macs, I have to say a joke thing about them...Macs are safe, because no one bothers making viruses for Macs...Ba dun tsh...

Anyways, I just heard about the virus...On Runescape...And I hadn't heard about it before then. Maybe it's just some April Fools thing...Or maybe they want us to think it's an April Fools joke :O

Kams

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Since you brought up Macs, I have to say a joke thing about them...Macs are safe, because no one bothers making viruses for Macs...Ba dun tsh...
Haha, it's true....:rolleyes:

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The date makes me think that it's just some people showing what they could do if they wanted to. but either way it won't effect me(i use Linux) and i should effect anybody who takes appropriate precautions.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Go to Microsoft Corporation

If you can't connect to that site you're probably infected with conficker, change all your passwords from a secure computer and download the fix from Microsoft's website on that computer, then use it on the infected computer, problem solved.

Until you get the fix though, unplug your computer from the internet.

Computer Worms - Conficker| Microsoft Security you can get the fix here.

Fun fact: Conficker is a portmanteau of "Configuration Fucker"

Role
Private
So this huge virus, which is supposed to be released in a few hours, has been generating a lot of buzz lately. I was just curious as to what it actually does and if anyone has been unfortunate enough to have had experience with it. As far as I know, I'm safe from it because I have a Mac (not to sound like a fanboy), or does it affect Macs too?

It is supposed to come out on April 1st, so perhaps it's just some hacker's April fools joke. Anyway, thoughts on this?

Here's the link to the Yahoo! article.
Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up on this.

I suspect this is the first shot of a "next-generation" collaborative effort between teams of dedicated attackers. It really sounds like a book I read many moons ago, Young & Yung's Malicious Cryptography. I suspect that there will be more PKI-enabled worms as time goes on, and extortion cannot be far behind (ala the book).

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up on this.

I suspect this is the first shot of a "next-generation" collaborative effort between teams of dedicated attackers. It really sounds like a book I read many moons ago, Young & Yung's Malicious Cryptography. I suspect that there will be more PKI-enabled worms as time goes on, and extortion cannot be far behind (ala the book).

Speaking of extortion; some people have already given idea of a black market Google, where you can look up credit card numbers, etc for individual computers.

Though, one interesting thing I've heard is that it's a hoax, and that the antivirus companies are using Conficker to make profit. Unlikely, but it's one of the more plausible conspiracies out there.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I only just heard about this today because one of my friends was worried about it. I watched a video about this, supposedly on April 1st(tomorrow) The virus activates and connects all of the computers infected by it, sounds kind of like a hoax to me...

If they do end up doing something with this virus we have some major pranksters on our hands...

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
So, I connected to the site...does that mean I'm safe?
It means you probably don't have it. It doesn't mean your safe from getting it though. However, as long as you make sure to update your antivirus and windows update then it should be fairly unlikely you'll get it.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You should be safe if you've been using good surfing practices; like blocking all ads with firefox, keeping anti-virus updated (not that norton shit), etc.

Here's a funny story, my grandmother is like oh no, it's a huge virus and she goes and turns the computer off, unplugs every cord to it, and cuts the power to that room. I'm like, just turning it off would suffice, even that is to much lols.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You should be safe if you've been using good surfing practices; like blocking all ads with firefox, keeping anti-virus updated (not that norton shit), etc.

Here's a funny story, my grandmother is like oh no, it's a huge virus and she goes and turns the computer off, unplugs every cord to it, and cuts the power to that room. I'm like, just turning it off would suffice, even that is to much lols.
I would just remove the communication lines from it, after that nothing get's in or out unless you physically do it yourself. Anyways I figured the worm wouldn't end up doing anything. Though it would of been fun to see the internet go down worldwide. (well asides the problems it would raise)

PrinceMatthew

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I thought it was conflicker not conficker? like confliction or something maybe.

Donnie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, , Carer
I rolled my eyes at everyone who was preparing. Then laughed when the news story came up calling it a fluke. I didn't believe it for a second.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I laugh at you all, I didn't even understand it. Fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.