Confessions of a British DL

abrich said:
I'd love to see this. Do you have a link or is it all in a specific thread on here? Thanks!

I had my entire collection on flickr; unfortunately I got banned. I am still trying to find a new medium to upload everything.

Aquasailor said:
I had my entire collection on flickr; unfortunately I got banned. I am still trying to find a new medium to upload everything.
Thanks for your reply. Ah ok. I hope you're able to find somewhere to upload the pictures to soon, as I'm guessing we all do! :)

abrich said:
Hi PCS,

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for the links. I've seen OfficialPastelPoppet's post and I'll have a look at billybobtombo's too.

I've been in the process of writing down my memories as a way of preserving them too! At the moment, it's all over the place, but I'm trying to get some semblance of order to it… I'm worried that I am starting to forget some of the details, so it feels important to capture it all. Once I've got a bit more organised, I'll look to post more here.

I really want to try and work out some of the dates too. I have now recollection of potty training, but I do remember wearing nappies at night. I'd love to know what age I was when I stopped… I find packaging and adverts of the time can really help jog my memory as I used to obsess over these when I was younger.

Here's one memory that I do have though:

I'm fairly sure that I liked being in nappies when I still got to wear them at night, so I don't really know how I was persuaded to give them up.

I do remember asking my Mum if I could wear nappies again when I was four. She told me that she didn't have any nappies, but I could wear some plastic pants if I wanted to. I now regret that I didn't take her up on that offer, but I really wanted to be in disposable nappies.

My Grandmother was staying at the time, and as she was going in to town that day, I must have asked her if she could get me some when she was out. I actually don't remember whether it was me or my Mum that asked, but if it was me, then my Mum certainly knew about it. I was so excited when she returned home, and I asked her whether she'd got me any nappies. I was crestfallen when she said that "they don't make nappies for four year olds".

I don't know whether my Grandmother really did look for nappies (I'm guessing not, as larger ones almost certainly would have fitted), or whether my Mum would really have let me wear them. I suspect that they were both just humouring me. I can clearly remember it though, and it certainly wasn't the first time I'd been aware that I wanted to be back in nappies, so it all started pretty young for me.

I'll keep trying to organise my memories and looking forward to hearing and sharing more on here!

Thanks again both for your original post and for taking the time to reply.
You’re welcome!

Yes, I didn’t write mine all in one go before posting it, it took a while.

As you will see from the thread, there were memories that I had missed out that came back to me later too.

Best of luck with it! I look forward to reading if you choose to post it.

Feel free to ask me (whether PM or on the forum) about brands/packaging etc from that era as I may be able to help with years, details etc.

:)

Last edited:
PCS said:
You’re welcome!

Yes, I didn’t write mine all in one go before posting it, it took a while.

As you will see from the thread, there were memories that I had missed out that came back to me later too.

Best of luck with it! I look forward to reading if you choose to post it.

Feel free to ask me (whether PM or on the forum) about brands/packaging etc from that era as I may be able to help with years, details etc.

:)
HI PCS,

Thanks for your reply. I'm finding both challenging and rewarding to try and capture everything. I think my memory has turned to mush over the last few years though…

In terms of brand and packaging, do you happen know what year Pampers first appeared in the UK? I read an article once which said it was 1982 and at first I though this seemed very late, as apparently they were introduced to Germany in 1974, but then, I can't find any TV adverts from anytime before 1982, so perhaps this is correct. I'd love to know when they were introduced, and trawling the internet hasn't come up with a date yet… Also, do you know when the childsize Peaudouce was introduced?

Thanks again for this thread, and thanks for getting in touch; I really appreciate it.

Take care

abrich said:
HI PCS,

Thanks for your reply. I'm finding both challenging and rewarding to try and capture everything. I think my memory has turned to mush over the last few years though…

In terms of brand and packaging, do you happen know what year Pampers first appeared in the UK? I read an article once which said it was 1982 and at first I though this seemed very late, as apparently they were introduced to Germany in 1974, but then, I can't find any TV adverts from anytime before 1982, so perhaps this is correct. I'd love to know when they were introduced, and trawling the internet hasn't come up with a date yet… Also, do you know when the childsize Peaudouce was introduced?

Thanks again for this thread, and thanks for getting in touch; I really appreciate it.

Take care

I think 1982 is correct for Pampers arriving in the UK as the market was already crowded by Paddi Cosifits and Peaudouce from France. Plus the UK retained a higher proportion of cloth nappy users in the late 70s than other places (I’m sure I read that somewhere!)

Cosifits were the market leader as Paddi had been around since the 1960s (and indeed claimed to be the inventor of the disposable nappy!)

I remember Ultra Pampers Boy and Girl were released in the UK in 1988. They were unisex before that.

Childsize Peaudouce were launched in 1983
in a dark purple/blue pack.

• Love
Reactions: abrich
PCS said:
I think 1982 is correct for Pampers arriving in the UK as the market was already crowded by Paddi Cosifits and Peaudouce from France. Plus the UK retained a higher proportion of cloth nappy users in the late 70s than other places (I’m sure I read that somewhere!)

Cosifits were the market leader as Paddi had been around since the 1960s (and indeed claimed to be the inventor of the disposable nappy!)

I remember Ultra Pampers Boy and Girl were released in the UK in 1988. They were unisex before that.

Childsize Peaudouce were launched in 1983
in a dark purple/blue pack.
Hi PCS,

Thank you for much for taking the time to respond. I'm in awe of your knowledge of nappies, and just so pleased to have been able to connect with someone who has a similar interest in this subject!

Yes, I always get the impression that cloth nappies were more widely used for longer in the UK than elsewhere, so perhaps I shouldn't have been too surprised that Pampers were (relatively) late to launch in the UK. I've noticed that in a lot of other countries I've been to, 'Pampers' is used as a generic term, which would suggest that in those markets they were first there, but when I was growing up at least, they were always referred to as "disposable nappies". Although I don't have any specific memories of seeing those first adverts for Pampers, I suspect they've had a lasting impact on me!

I'd love to know the month that Pampers launched here. I'm trying to work out when I was taken out of nappies at night, and I can remember that having Pampers at least sometimes towards the end, so it would really help me to narrow it down. I wonder if any of the UK's parenting magazines are achieved online anywhere? I suspect I might never be able to find out, but it might be fun to keep trying!

Thanks also for confirming when the child size Peaudouce launched; that's really helpful too.

Take care.

PCS said:
Found the source for some of the above info.

http://www.paddi.org.uk/the-book-about-it.html

It also suggests Pampers launched in the UK in 1982 or 1983
Thanks for this link; that's a great resource! Now I wonder where I might be able to find a copy of the whole book…

I wonder if anyone has any images of Cosifits packaging and branding?

Thanks again!

abrich said:
Thanks for this link; that's a great resource! Now I wonder where I might be able to find a copy of the whole book…

I wonder if anyone has any images of Cosifits packaging and branding?

Thanks again!
Hi Abrich

This thread has a couple of images of different Cosifits packaging..

https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/vintage-pampers-question.138076/

I think there’s a New Zealand company that still use the name, so if you google Cosifits that’s what comes up there.

• Love
PCS said:
Thank you. I seem to have a very good long term memory, though most are just fragments.

For instance, I’d love to be able to remember more of the incident where I woke up in the middle of wetting myself, but to this day I have no recollection of whether it led to a wet nappy or a wet bed!
Do you recall your sheets or pajamas were getting wet? If not, you were probably wetting a nappy.

KCA said:
Do you recall your sheets or pajamas were getting wet? If not, you were probably wetting a nappy.
That’s just it... it’s a very vivid fragment of memory with nothing before or afterwards recalled.

For that reason I suspect I was still wearing a nappy to bed at that time. It’s the only memory I have of waking up in the middle of having an accident, though.

abrich said:
I wonder if any of the UK's parenting magazines are achieved online anywhere? I suspect I might never be able to find out, but it might be fun to keep trying

Don't know about parenting but I've found quite a bit out from the archive of Chemist & Druggist which you can get on the Wayback Machine / Internet Archive. I got loads of old adverts for plastic pants from there and put them on some sites I'm on which I'm flattered to see have been widely copied!

sambus said:
Don't know about parenting but I've found quite a bit out from the archive of Chemist & Druggist which you can get on the Wayback Machine / Internet Archive. I got loads of old adverts for plastic pants from there and put them on some sites I'm on which I'm flattered to see have been widely copied!
Thanks for the tip about Chemist & Druggist. I'll have a look and see if it helps me narrow things down. I had a look at the Internet Archive for parenting magazines, but there really wasn't very much there. Thanks again!

Reactions: bbpnts
Finally, a picture of the type of Ultra Pampers I wore the day my DLism struck...

1589097098586.jpeg1589097098586.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: abrich, KCA and billybobtombo
Peaudouce aye? Wish they were still a mainstay!!
UPDATE: Libero either now use the word (?) Peaudouce or have taken them over.

Last edited:
GO3SBOTHWAY5 said:
Peaudouce aye? Wish they were still a mainstay!!
UPDATE: Libero either now use the word (?) Peaudouce or have taken them over.
I think Libero is the international name but they still use the Peaudouce brand in French-speaking North African markets. Does anyone know if they are called Peaudouce or Libero in France itself?

Libero nappies and pants (including night pants) are available in the UK from NRU/Incontinence Shop.

PCS said:
I think Libero is the international name but they still use the Peaudouce brand in French-speaking North African markets. Does anyone know if they are called Peaudouce or Libero in France itself?

Libero nappies and pants (including night pants) are available in the UK from NRU/Incontinence Shop.
Libero are sold across Europe, looking at the stats though, France doesn't have Libero or Peaudouce anymore: https://www.statista.com/statistics/439524/leading-disposable-nappies-brands-in-france/

Back