Confessions of a British DL

Whenever there was a cartoon that involved someone wearing diapers and being treated like a baby I remember it more, like Mona The Vampire or Code Name Kids Next Door

PCS said:
I remember seeing those!

I seem to remember that they were available in an XL size and the top of the pack was transparent so you could see the entire front of the pants inside. I remember that they looked huge and longed to wear them (both boy and girl versions) but could not buy any as there would be no excuse I could muster if they were found.

Thank you for posting the picture.

I would love it if anyone else has any pictures of UK nappies or packaging from the late 80s and early 90s to share here.

I'm glad you enjoyed the blast from the past. Now I too would like to see the XL Pull-Ups myself! That was the same problem I had growing up; I had no sisters so I could not talk my way out of it. Also, it wasn't until uni that I mustered up the courage to buy Pull-Ups for myself.

Here are some photos of the packaging as per your request.

Attachments

• Huggies Pull-Ups Girls 1997 Large packaging UK front.jpg
    Huggies Pull-Ups Girls 1997 Large packaging UK front.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Huggies Pull-Ups Girls 1997 Large packaging UK reverse.jpg
    Huggies Pull-Ups Girls 1997 Large packaging UK reverse.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Huggies Pull-Ups Girls 1997 Large packaging UK side.jpg
    Huggies Pull-Ups Girls 1997 Large packaging UK side.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 36
Yes! That’s them! The XL size had exactly the same packaging, bar the size. I think they were the same size as the smallest DryNites.

Even though I have a sister, she was trained just before the very first disposable trainers/Pull-Ups came out in the UK and had no need for any such product (she wet the bed only a handful of times) so there would have been no alibi.

By the time I would have been old enough to
buy some, my brain figured that it would have been much easier to explain away the Boots Staydry adult nappies (gag-gift, joke item, wet dreams etc) than actual child nappies or pull-ups that would probably have fitted me at the time.

If you have any more packaging or products from the era I would love to see them.

I love this thread. I wrote my own story after being inspired by this, but everyone ignored mine

OfficialPastelPoppet said:
I love this thread. I wrote my own story after being inspired by this, but everyone ignored mine
I didn’t- it’s a great story and I would recommend everybody read it.

It’s interesting to hear that the next generation had similar experiences! :)

Reactions: OfficialPastelPoppet
PCS said:
I didn’t- it’s a great story and I would recommend everybody read it.

It’s interesting to hear that the next generation had similar experiences! :)

Thank you :)

I thought I would add a bit more here on wearing at night since it is a topic that comes up. For me, as for quite a few on ADISC, I did not wish to un-train myself or become a full time bed wetter but would quite happily be a genuine bed wetter when wearing a nappy.

Happily, I now wake with a wet nappy nearly every time I wear one to bed, with no memory of having wet myself on purpose in the night.

I would like to reassure you that it can be done without causing any physical or psychological injury to yourself!

It’s a multi-step thing that took me a few years to achieve. When it happened for the first time I couldn’t believe it.

I would always go to bed in a dry nappy.
Most days I would wake up dry, have a morning wee in my nappy and then take it off when I got up.

Sometimes I would wake in the night needing a wee. I would let go into my nappy and go back to sleep. My usual night nappy was (and is for the moment) an Abena L4.

One morning I woke up and felt like I was wet but had no memory of waking in the night. I did not have my morning wee but got up and took the nappy off first to check. It was definitely wet. I was so excited that this had happened and felt all tingly.

I wore again the next night with no special preparation of any kind but it didn’t happen.

But then it started to happen more frequently.

I believe I have now trained my brain to realise that it’s OK to wet in my sleep but only when I have a nappy on.

I didn’t think it was possible, but (looking back) here’s how it happened:

First, you have to be comfortable with wetting yourself in a nappy whilst awake sitting or standing. The best way to achieve this is not to hold everything in until the last minute when wearing before bursting to simulate a gushing wee accident (flooding) as this actually trains your bladder muscles to hold on tighter. Just relax and let it go when you have one on.

Next, you don’t need to drink gallons of water at a time as this can make your stomach uncomfortable. Rather, just keep pleasantly well hydrated. Drink sips little and often and always just let go when your bladder first feels the need. At the very beginning you may need to stand in the bathroom to be able to do this but will soon be comfortable doing it anywhere.

When you are so comfortable in just “letting go” in a nappy sitting or standing, you can try lying down.

Again, contrary to what I thought at first, the best way to get going is not to drink lots of water and lie down holding it til you are bursting. That just causes pain and discomfort.

Do keep well hydrated, but just relax and try to let go rather than pushing. Sometimes lying in silence helps. Sometimes a particular sound or piece of music may help. If it doesn’t work at first, you may have to stand or sit up, wee, and lie down again.

Part of the issue is trusting the nappy not to leak. I found that putting a bed pad underneath helped as it stopped my brain from worrying about leaks subconsciously.

When wearing to bed, adopt the same tactic. Don’t go to bed on a full bladder or holding in the hope that you will wet yourself. You will just be uncomfortable. If you need a wee at ANY point, just let go, even if it is only a little bit. If you hold it it will reinforce the notion that you shouldn’t be letting go.

Whether you need to wee before going to sleep or wake up needing one, just let go when the feeling takes you.

One morning you may wake up to find that you have had a little accident for real.

Don’t expect results overnight, but I hope that the above helps anyone who would like to have the experience of waking in a wet nappy without becoming fully incontinent or waking in the night to wee.

It has one side effect- the best night’s sleep ever while staying well hydrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHappyNappyBum, Peter77, Avi8tor and 2 others
PCS said:
I wonder whether it is the risk of teasing that was likely to follow in the case of a boy?

I never saw any of the girls I saw have an accident at school get teased by other girls or boys, whereas I witnessed boys being teased by both girls and boys for having accidents.

Maybe girls are more empathetic in that way? (Risk of me generalising/ causing offence here- none intended, just based on own recollections!)

I also remember that there wasn’t a hint of embarrassment in the girls I knew who wore nappies at nursery but the boys sometimes tried to pretend they weren’t wearing a nappy or were embarrassed when nappies were mentioned (eg refusing a change and claiming not to be wearing).

Even the girl I met in the park wasn’t embarrassed when I mentioned her nappy to her and just shrugged it off when I asked why she was wearing one. The very fact that she told me she needed a wee (and then stopped to do it in her nappy) suggested not a hint of embarrassment at the situation.

Perhaps parents were harder on boys about that sort of thing?

I had a few accidents at school (of both varieties) and I can definitely relate to that. There were girls who had accidents that were quickly forgotten.

I live in the UK too and the oldest I was when I had an accident was when I was in year 5 so I was about 9 or 10 so quite old to be having an accident. We had a really strict teacher and I (and most others in the class) were terrified of her. I was really shy anyway and too scared to ask to go. I didn't like using the toilet at school and always tried to hold on until I got home. I didn't (or rather couldn't) run when I started to pee so I ended up sat in puddle so upset that I cried.

The teasing afterwards was relentless, I became known as mr piddle pants and was mocked for crying even though a girl in my class had wet her pants the previous year and wasn't teased at all.

Lostboy123 said:
I had a few accidents at school (of both varieties) and I can definitely relate to that. There were girls who had accidents that were quickly forgotten.

I live in the UK too and the oldest I was when I had an accident was when I was in year 5 so I was about 9 or 10 so quite old to be having an accident. We had a really strict teacher and I (and most others in the class) were terrified of her. I was really shy anyway and too scared to ask to go. I didn't like using the toilet at school and always tried to hold on until I got home. I didn't (or rather couldn't) run when I started to pee so I ended up sat in puddle so upset that I cried.

The teasing afterwards was relentless, I became known as mr piddle pants and was mocked for crying even though a girl in my class had wet her pants the previous year and wasn't teased at all.

The more I think back, I’m sure there was a gender bias issue there.

Although most girls train earlier than boys, my partner trained late (mildly autistic, high functioning but totally undiagnosed at the time) but there was no pressure from her parents for her to be out of nappies until she was ready.

Perhaps society (and kids) are more forgiving of girls because wearing a nappy or having a little accident is seen as more of a “cute” or “feminine” thing to happen to a girl but more of a “humiliation” for a “masculine” boy who is meant to be “manly” and “tough” according to stereotype?

Last edited:
First grade, 1965, The girl I carpooled with let go all over her chair during a reading session. Small groups, so about 10 of us in a circle. I can never forget that day. It was all taken care of very quickly. She was whisked away and the janitor came in and mopped it up. Still, it is something you never forget. It was not spoken of on the ride back home and never happened again.

ArchtopK said:
First grade, 1965, The girl I carpooled with let go all over her chair during a reading session. Small groups, so about 10 of us in a circle. I can never forget that day. It was all taken care of very quickly. She was whisked away and the janitor came in and mopped it up. Still, it is something you never forget. It was not spoken of on the ride back home and never happened again.
Was that a (or the) trigger for you?

What effect did it have on you at the time?

Did anyone else tease her?

PCS said:
I thought I would add a bit more here on wearing at night since it is a topic that comes up. For me, as for quite a few on ADISC, I did not wish to un-train myself or become a full time bed wetter but would quite happily be a genuine bed wetter when wearing a nappy.

Happily, I now wake with a wet nappy nearly every time I wear one to bed, with no memory of having wet myself on purpose in the night.

I would like to reassure you that it can be done without causing any physical or psychological injury to yourself!

It’s a multi-step thing that took me a few years to achieve. When it happened for the first time I couldn’t believe it.

I would always go to bed in a dry nappy.
Most days I would wake up dry, have a morning wee in my nappy and then take it off when I got up.

Sometimes I would wake in the night needing a wee. I would let go into my nappy and go back to sleep. My usual night nappy was (and is for the moment) an Abena L4.

One morning I woke up and felt like I was wet but had no memory of waking in the night. I did not have my morning wee but got up and took the nappy off first to check. It was definitely wet. I was so excited that this had happened and felt all tingly.

I wore again the next night with no special preparation of any kind but it didn’t happen.

But then it started to happen more frequently.

I believe I have now trained my brain to realise that it’s OK to wet in my sleep but only when I have a nappy on.

I didn’t think it was possible, but (looking back) here’s how it happened:

First, you have to be comfortable with wetting yourself in a nappy whilst awake sitting or standing. The best way to achieve this is not to hold everything in until the last minute when wearing before bursting to simulate a gushing wee accident (flooding) as this actually trains your bladder muscles to hold on tighter. Just relax and let it go when you have one on.

Next, you don’t need to drink gallons of water at a time as this can make your stomach uncomfortable. Rather, just keep pleasantly well hydrated. Drink sips little and often and always just let go when your bladder first feels the need. At the very beginning you may need to stand in the bathroom to be able to do this but will soon be comfortable doing it anywhere.

When you are so comfortable in just “letting go” in a nappy sitting or standing, you can try lying down.

Again, contrary to what I thought at first, the best way to get going is not to drink lots of water and lie down holding it til you are bursting. That just causes pain and discomfort.

Do keep well hydrated, but just relax and try to let go rather than pushing. Sometimes lying in silence helps. Sometimes a particular sound or piece of music may help. If it doesn’t work at first, you may have to stand or sit up, wee, and lie down again.

Part of the issue is trusting the nappy not to leak. I found that putting a bed pad underneath helped as it stopped my brain from worrying about leaks subconsciously.

When wearing to bed, adopt the same tactic. Don’t go to bed on a full bladder or holding in the hope that you will wet yourself. You will just be uncomfortable. If you need a wee at ANY point, just let go, even if it is only a little bit. If you hold it it will reinforce the notion that you shouldn’t be letting go.

Whether you need to wee before going to sleep or wake up needing one, just let go when the feeling takes you.

One morning you may wake up to find that you have had a little accident for real.

Don’t expect results overnight, but I hope that the above helps anyone who would like to have the experience of waking in a wet nappy without becoming fully incontinent or waking in the night to wee.

It has one side effect- the best night’s sleep ever while staying well hydrated.

I just started wetting a couple of weeks ago after a few years of experimenting, i basically did it exactly the way you describe here.

Last night was my first dry night in a week so i celebrated by keeping my diaper on for breakfast.

I do tend to drink a bottle as im falling asleep.

I still wake up needing a wee so i guess at night my bladder is just letting the pressure off while i sleep, not doing a full wee.

I did go to sleep wrhout a nappy on a week or two ago and still wet though, it was a bit of a situation 😕

Last edited:
Reactions: Avi8tor
PCS said:
The more I think back, I’m sure there was a gender bias issue there.

Although most girls train earlier than boys, my partner trained late (mildly autistic, high functioning but totally undiagnosed at the time) but there was no pressure from her parents for her to be out of nappies until she was ready.

Perhaps society (and kids) are more forgiving of girls because wearing a nappy or having a little accident is seen as more of a “cute” or “feminine” thing to happen to a girl but more of a “humiliation” for a “masculine” boy who is meant to be “manly” and “tough” according to stereotype?
Boys are always more relentless when it comes to embarrassing things, girls are so considerate whereas boys will literally stop at nothing to tease people. My ex was in nappies until around 4 years old and another girl I had a brief relationship with was in them until she was like 4 but still had accidents and wore pull ups up until like 6.

CookieMonstah said:
Boys are always more relentless when it comes to embarrassing things, girls are so considerate whereas boys will literally stop at nothing to tease people. My ex was in nappies until around 4 years old and another girl I had a brief relationship with was in them until she was like 4 but still had accidents and wore pull ups up until like 6.

Oh trust me girls can be really nasty, infact I would say they are probably crueller than boys. They will really try to get under your skin and hurt you over a long period of time, and they team together and turn other people against you like a pack of wolves, spreading rumours. Although I can't speak on the nappy/diaper front as I was potty trained young and never really had accidents, I can speak on a more general level. I was bullied relentlessley, especially in secondary school. I was an eccentric and odd girl and a bit of a class clown, which made me the laughing stock of most of the other girls and some of the boys. I was branded a "freak" and people definately thought I was the weird kid. Bullying sucks :(

Oh trust me girls can be really nasty, infact I would say they are probably crueller than boys. They will really try to get under your skin and hurt you over a long period of time, and they team together and turn other people against you like a pack of wolves, spreading rumours. Although I can't speak on the nappy/diaper front as I was potty trained young and never really had accidents, I can speak on a more general level. I was bullied relentlessley, especially in secondary school. I was an eccentric and odd girl and a bit of a class clown, which made me the laughing stock of most of the other girls and some of the boys. I was branded a "freak" and people definately thought I was the weird kid. Bullying sucks :(
At my school all girls were really nice to each other, even if they weren't friends but boys would beat each other up and give anyone grief over the smallest of things. I told some girls from my school about this side of me, god forbid a boy found out while I was in school, my life would've been over.

CookieMonstah said:
At my school all girls were really nice to each other, even if they weren't friends but boys would beat each other up and give anyone grief over the smallest of things. I told some girls from my school about this side of me, god forbid a boy found out while I was in school, my life would've been over.
Thats awesome. In my experience girls are really cliquey and can be bitchy. Maybe it's a generational thing? I was at secondary school 2011-2016

Thats awesome. In my experience girls are really cliquey and can be bitchy. Maybe it's a generational thing? I was at secondary school 2011-2016
I was at school between 2008-2013. Girls were cliquey but were still friendly to those they didn't hang out with.

CookieMonstah said:
I was at school between 2008-2013. Girls were cliquey but were still friendly to those they didn't hang out with.
Thats cool. I generally find boys to be a lot more chill and laid back, but maybe thats because im a bit of a tomboy so tend to float toward them anyway

I think it might be a generational thing. When I was at primary school in the... wait for it... late 80s and early 90s (!) the girls were very kind and gentle. Even the tomboyish ones who played with the boys were nice. Boys could be boisterous and would definitely tease each other.

When girls wet themselves, which wasn’t often and I last saw it happen in school when we were about 6 or 7, I never once saw them teased by anyone about it.

My memories of it happening are very vivid, perhaps because I was extremely interested (to the point of excitement) at the time, but I never said anything to any of them to whom it happened.

My partner remembers the cliquey thing being a feature with girls at Secondary (she is the same generation as me) but not at Primary.

She was never teased by friends at nursery about her nappies.

Reactions: OfficialPastelPoppet
PCS said:
I think it might be a generational thing. When I was at primary school in the... wait for it... late 80s and early 90s (!) the girls were very kind and gentle. Even the tomboyish ones who played with the boys were nice. Boys could be boisterous and would definitely tease each other.

When girls wet themselves, which wasn’t often and I last saw it happen in school when we were about 6 or 7, I never once saw them teased by anyone about it.

My memories of it happening are very vivid, perhaps because I was extremely interested (to the point of excitement) at the time, but I never said anything to any of them to whom it happened.

My partner remembers the cliquey thing being a feature with girls at Secondary (she is the same generation as me) but not at Primary.

She was never teased by friends at nursery about her nappies.

I was more talking about secondary/teenagers. I wasn't really bullied in primary school. Teased a bit, but not bullied. And I don't remember anyone being teased for wetting themselves (although I don't recall anyone having an accident past the age of about 7).

When I was reffering to girl being bitchy and cliquey, I was reffering to teenage girls. :)

Back