Concensus on gravedigging in the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Ok, so... I'm a n00b here, and have been poking around for the last few days at past threads. Many of them are ones I'd have contributed to, if I was a member back when they were posted. I'd like to post on a few, but wasn't sure about the popular opinion regarding how old is a thread before it's too old to dig back up.

Thanks everyone!

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I think it's okay even if it's a couple weeks old, just make sure you have something to contribute, instead of just saying "yah i agree," or something. 'Sides, the real old threads get locked, anyhow.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Yeah, since old threads automatically get locked, it's perfectly to fine to post in any open thread.
Of course if it's only going to be a one line post I'd advise against posting in threads that a few weeks old.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Locking old threads is silly, but we do it. Anyway, pretty much what the others said -- if you have something new and relevant to add, then feel free. But it's really annoying when an old thread pops up with a new post like "Lol, me too!".

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
If you have something useful to add most people probably aren't going to complain. If it isn't locked it's available to be posted in. Just add something to the thread, more then just one line agreement or whatever.

To be honest if a thread is open and you open a new one someone might complain. If you raise a thread from near death, someone might complain. You just get used to it. I would say I think complaints are more likely if you start a new thread though - at least I see more complaints about it.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Moved to Aministrative Stuff-forums...cause it's website related!

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Locking old threads is silly, but we do it.
I find it annoying that there are locked threads. But 99.9% of the time. I don't need to reply in them. The only thing I can see is to stop the newbies turning up dead topics for the silly comments that have been mentioned above.

Role
  1. Private
Drat.

I thought that this thread would be about something MUCH different.

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Lol. Sorry h3g3l. Hate to let you down on that...

Thanks for the opinions guys. I don't wanna be doin' stuffs outa' line with protocol, but since all forums are a little different, I wanted to make sure it didn't rub folks irritated if I resurected an old post sometime soon. I certainly don't want to get run off from here. The place is very nice.

Peachy, thanks for moving this to the right forum. I don't remember seeing this forum here at lunch time, so I must have overlooked it.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Usually, the concensus is if it leaves page one, don't post in it.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Ok, so... I'm a n00b here, and have been poking around for the last few days at past threads. Many of them are ones I'd have contributed to, if I was a member back when they were posted. I'd like to post on a few, but wasn't sure about the popular opinion regarding how old is a thread before it's too old to dig back up.

Thanks everyone!

Technically, anything you can post in (threads that aren't locked yet) are fair game. However, that doesn't mean there won't ever be whining about posting in something old. Things to keep in mind that will likely reduce this reaction:

• If the thread was made by someone who only ever made that one post or shows as a lurker or worse, is banned, quit, etc., then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to share your very specific advice to that person. I think you can get a pass on this one if the person's situation is general enough to be applicable to others and if your information is really helpful.
  • If the thread is long and there was a question, at least scan through it and see if the question was answered or the issue resolved before you came along.
Lastly, if you're brushing the cobwebs off something, make your post worth reading. The whole "me too!" post on something with no action for seven weeks and six days is what irks most people. Posting something interesting covers up a multitude of little sins.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
wow, how amazingly tactful! i've never seen anyone actually open a thread to ask about this forum's customs before. i don't think anyone as considerate as you is liable to encounter any problems.

the funny thing is that this forum used to be ultra-uber-robo-uptight about reviving dead threads until moo got the forum software to start locking threads after a certain period of inactivity. innocent newbies would come along and post their thoughts in an older thread and get engulfed in a wall of flame. nowadays people are a little more laid-back, but the moral of the story is that it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. :thumbsup:

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Lol. Sorry h3g3l. Hate to let you down on that...

Thanks for the opinions guys. I don't wanna be doin' stuffs outa' line with protocol, but since all forums are a little different, I wanted to make sure it didn't rub folks irritated if I resurected an old post sometime soon. I certainly don't want to get run off from here. The place is very nice.

Back @ TBDL in my early days, I would post to, like, a 2-month stale thread and get totally slammed by all the people coughing and hacking in the clouds of dust I kicked up.

But there is nothing to stop one from reviving a thread's topic in a new thread. I have done so, more than once. Some of the most successful threads I started were revivals. Ownage is coming back, any day now, I swear...

Status
Not open for further replies.