Computer sugestion for me anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess_Mandy

Est. Contributor
Well I have an HP notebook but I'm going to have to buy a new Notebook for college. Whats y'alls suggestions on a really good Notebook to buy?
Reasons I have to buy a new one is...
Reason 1: I'm just about out of hard drive on it (Came w/ 30 GBs now it only has 2.45 GBs left)
Reason 2: I need Microsoft word and PowerPoint for Class.
Reason 3: I just want a new one..:D

I was considering the Sony VAIO® NR Series Notebook PC (the pink one). I would love to get a Apple Macbook pro but Its gonna take me learning how to use a Mac if I get it. What do y'all think? Any other suggestions on what to get? Thanks!

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It depends what you're willing to pay and what you want out of it. Apple has nice hardware, but you're going to pay for it. I've seen some nice Everex notebooks.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't suggest getting a Mac for the sake of owning a mac or for acting like your cool. Since after all a Mac is just a more expensive computer/laptop.

anyways here is a bit cheaper laptop with pretty damn good specs for the price. And yes I know its used but it has a fresh install and everything anyway.

Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario F756NR NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M

But for like over THREE times as much you can get a Macbook air with worse specs then the laptop I mentioned.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16834100029
----------------
Now playing: The Streets - Dry Your Eyes
via FoxyTunes

Last edited:

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
MacBook Air isn't for students. A MacBook (even coming from an Apple fanboy like me, it's still hefty priced) is for students. It starts at $1099 USD -- which is a lot, granted. But for school, it's usually a favorite. It has Office:Mac 2008 for it, and all the multimedia things you'd need for school/work, play, and lounge. And besdies, the MacBook Air isn't even in the same relative class as other notebooks like the one you linked to, or the "generic" class, like the ones linked below. So your arguement is flawed.

Although, if you're looking into a cheap laptop that'll be easy on your wallet but also a little more than decent, the Dell Inspiron and Vostro series are good picks (We're talking about laptops here... right? Just laptops?). HP are also very nice laptops for nice prices.

Here are 3 (out of a crap pile of) PCs I'd point out for a good deal for good price.
Newegg.com - Acer Extensa EX5620-4025 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2370(1.73GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 667 120GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100 - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario C751NR NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2330(1.60GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory 120GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100
Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario F756NR NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Why not stick with an HP? I'm extremely happy with mine, I only payed about 800 (Or under, actually) and it came with a 300Gig hard drive, and 3gigs of ram.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I just want to point out, MS Word and Powerpoint are not good reasons for buying a new notebook, since most notebooks only come with trials versions (except some Dell 'extra' bundles, etc)

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
But it's so *easy* to get a hold of these products -- no matter what operating system you are on.

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Just a suggestion, but don't buy Microsoft Office just yet. most colleges have deals where you can get it for really cheap. I paid $7.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Just a suggestion, but don't buy Microsoft Office just yet. most colleges have deals where you can get it for really cheap. I paid $7.
This is true, once you are at university, you can go through them and they'll give you the student prices for things. I am not too sure about student bank incentives around where you live, but here HSBC tend to give away all sorts of freebies, one of them being £100 of an ASUS laptop. I am not too sure about the fine print on it. But It may be a worth looking into.

I would just use any machine you have got now. for web browsing and general school work, Not sa if you are going to need to run MatLab or AutoCAD or any critical software needed to run for the course.

You can cheaply upgrade the Harddrive and Ram if need be. And you may able to get a copy of XP or Even Vista if you want that cheap from the college/uni too.

2low

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
got a toshiba satallite and seems if you want or plan to user sony memory stick duo in them they wont work , compatibaly issues i found out later ,

VAIO® NR Series Notebook And really like it nothing i find that i dont like about hence it would not be tooo bad with more ram in it with vista ,

you want power point pm me and will talk over msn how i can get you that free ;)
Things to consider , with the new notebooks there space seem rather big and fine with the space they have
Also another sujestion for Hd space with laptops is just get one of those small usb hd ,

portable ones , i see those 320 Gb ones go for around 120 bucks or so ,

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
I have to say that if you're not planning on doing much gaming, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a MacBook from Apple. The operating system that runs on Macs is more stable and more secure than windows, and I guarantee you'll have less maintenance headaches with it.

Also, don't worry about compatibility with other systems. Make sure you get yourself a copy of Microsoft Office 2008 and you'll be all set and ready to go. It is compatible with all versions for windows without any translators, and since Mac OS X supports file extensions (and uses them by default), word documents and the like will move easily between macs and pcs.

Feel free to talk to me off-forum if you'd like more information. They are more expensive, true. But you get what you pay for, in my opinion.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I have to say that if you're not planning on doing much gaming, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a MacBook from Apple. The operating system that runs on Macs is more stable and more secure than windows, and I guarantee you'll have less maintenance headaches with it.
That must be why my XP based system has never crashed on me in the past 3 years. However Mac's can and do crash as well. Plus the reason why Mac is "secure" is people feel no need to make a virus that will only hit about 10% or less of the computer market. Once everyone starts using macs there will be viruses for it.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
That must be why my XP based system has never crashed on me in the past 3 years. However Mac's can and do crash as well. Plus the reason why Mac is "secure" is people feel no need to make a virus that will only hit about 10% or less of the computer market. Once everyone starts using macs there will be viruses for it.
This arguement is so old and has been thrown around so many times. They're computers. Sometimes they crash. Windows, Mac, Linux, UNIX. They all do sometimes. Each got their own ups and downs. Some people have better luck with one OS than the other, and vise versa.

The whole "well I haven't had any issues so that must mean that macs suck because they do have issues!" arguement is complete fail. Because there are people who have problems with Windows out the swazoo, and the same with Mac users.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Oh no, let's not start the old-like-the-world fight between Mac and Pc users.... please :tongueout:

Basically, imo, they're systems designed for a different kind of usage: the mac, you switch it on, and you use it without bothering "what's behind". If, on the other hand, you like putting together computers on your own, recycling old components, messing up with settings, and so on, that's a bit hard to do on a mac. Moreover, there are applications and hardwares that simply don't run on mac. You see, I own a video editing workstation. We all know that Macs are great for multimedia and graphic application, so I would have gladly bought a Mac but... my video editing hardware runs only on Windows.

Not to mention that MacOs is based on Unix (but on this subject Adisc's computer experts will certainly be more specific), so I think a PC with an Unix or Linux Os could be as reliable as a Mac (although alas Linux doesn't support a number of softwares and hardwares)

Back on topic, to answer the original post:

1) go get an external HDD to store your data, and leave the internal HDD of your PC just for the operating system and softwares, or install a bigger one and make two partitions, one for sw and the other for data.
2) softwares are meant to be installed and uninstalled from computers, it's not that if a software is not originally included in your pc, it means you can't install it on your own! :D
3) oh, so, solved the two previous problems, it seems you want a new laptop, more than you actually need one :p

The general suggestion I can give you, talking about new computers is, don't bother spending an insane amount of money on the newest-most-powerful-possible-hardware... because in a few months it will anyway be outdated. But if I were you, and as others already said, I'd stick with the laptop you already have, with a good format-and-reinstall and - if needed - a little hardware upgrade, it'll be more than suitable for the school use you are prospecting for it.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Oh no, let's not start the old-like-the-world fight between Mac and Pc users.... please
For the love of God, let's not.

Not to mention that MacOs is based on Unix (but on this subject Adisc's computer experts will certainly be more specific),
Mhm!!! :D BSD, to be exact.

Henry

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I would say get the macbook if you can. I just switched from pc's to macbooks and in my opinion, macbooks are better for almost everything except gaming. You can also run windows xp or vista on a macbook making it two computers in one. And don't worry about how to use a mabook, they are very easy to get used to and use, and with my experiences, the operating system works a lot faster than windows xp or windows vista. (I've never had my macbook freeze on me)

Status
Not open for further replies.