computer problems again (looking for computer experts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
So I have had my new computer for a year now and it's a HP Stream Notebook.

Since fall the screen would sometimes shut it self off as if I am not using it and then the screen would appear again, then in December it started to go into sleep mode and then it stopped. I did contact HP support, the legitimate site. They were a little helpful but the problem is still there. Now it's doing it again and this time it shuts itself off after it kept going into sleep mode so many times.

I do have MCaffree on it and now I am wondering if it's even worth renewing it and my warranty just expired on it so I am wondering if it's even worth buying a Carepack whatever it's called so I can buy warranty.

I have already tried turning off sleep mode and hibernation mode by selecting never and the problem still existed. the HP tech support already made me unselect automatic restart for system failure and that fixed the automatic restart issue.

I don't know if it's a software issue or if I have a virus or if the hard drive is going out but everything else works perfect on it except it goes into sleep mode on it's own while I am using it and then it started to shut it self off after going into sleep mode. I honestly don't know if it's a overheating issue but I can't find any air vents on my computer but speakers.

I am using my old computer I kept for back up and we can no longer extend warranty on it. So this is it. This has gone through so many repairs and viruses and software issues and I even got a whole new keyboard and motherboard and new hard drove installed a year ago and then I got a new computer and kept this one for back up.

So any suggestions I should do and how do I clean out the air vents on my computer if this is a over heating issue?

Is warranty even worth it or renewing my anti virus prescription or should I just get a new computer?

I hear HP had a history of computers getting over heated so I don't know if this is the case. Our HP computer even crashed in 2002 and that PC was less than a year old. The problem was it got overheated so it crashed and destroyed the motherboard or something because it had to be rebuilt and my parents had warranty on it so it got done for "free."

Also finding the support number to call is a pain and also finding live support. I can't find that feature again on their website. Plus I find it a pain to get help so I am thinking if warranty is even worth it if I can't even use their service because it's too complicated so it's easier if I just take it to a computer place and they can tell me and do repairs even if it means paying a little more money unless they say it's cheaper to get a new computer. Thank god for back up thanks to Onedrive and I can access all my stories online. No more external hard drive.

So comments or suggestions please or your opinion please.

I have even tried looking up this problem through search.

Hmm I can look into this for you over remote support with teamviewer if you'd like

Sent from my SM-G903M using Tapatalk

HP has one of the best support services. Dell, Gateway, Avertech, Asus, and IBM all are worse than HP. As for anti-virus there is a free version of Avast, Viper, and AVG. Norton and McGaffe both are useless, I won't even shop from a site that uses either of those.

With that said, HP computers are terrible, so you have to have good customer service lol. Don't buy a extended warranty until you actually read the details. Considering it's built for minimal settings for internet use, you don't use it for much more than that? You can build yourself a decent computer for less money and have better capabilities.

You can easily build yourself a computer. It's not as hard as it looks. There's many how to videos on YouTube. Getting a traditional desktop would be more beneficial because if something goes out, it's easy to replace. You'll save some money and each part will have its own warranty.

Https://pcpartpicker.com/

You can put together parts for a computer and be sure they are compatible. Get a Solid State Drive instead of a hard drive. It'll make your computer feel like a champ.

Well since the memory is only 32 GB but only gives me 28.8 GB, I am thinking maybe it's not worth it and I am better off getting a new computer with bigger GB. I don't know if it's shutting down or going into sleep mode because of not enough memory or what. It didn't do that when I ran the virus scan to rule out any viruses but it did while I was surfing the internet. I know it's not the power source because it still happened when it was unplugged. I don't know if it's getting overheated or if the motherboard is going out. I don't even know if they will charge me for customer support when I do call them. I found their phone number BTW in google and it showed their logo so I know it's legitimate. They said to extend my GB, I would have to get a external hard drive. Does that mean I can run memory on it and other games and programs?

I use my computer all the time, that's the thing. I am sure many people don't use their often so theirs lasts longer. That is why I have always had warranty on mine. My dad uses his computer a lot too because it's for his business and it still works fine. But I think it's made for business so those computers have to be made to be used that much so they don't break down like regular computers do if you use them too much.

screen display controls are in the power management section. right click the desktop, personalize, screen saver, power management. there you can set the time for sleep on just matter. of course you may have already done this.

ArchtopK said:
screen display controls are in the power management section. right click the desktop, personalize, screen saver, power management. there you can set the time for sleep on just matter. of course you may have already done this.

I have and it still happens so I don't know if it's the motherboard going out or the power supply. The power supply and the charger are two different things I just found out or just a system failure. It even rebooted itself again after I had unselected that box for operation system failure. I might use it in safe mode and do my normal stuff and see if I notice anything. I also turned off auto power off.

I once had a computer that was hand built and it was only two years old when it quit booting up. You would turn it on and it would shut off right away and this was a desk top. My dad took it in and they said it was the motherboard and it was cheaper getting a new computer and he would move all the files to a disk for me after getting a new computer. Mine boots up and starts but then it goes into sleep mode and sometimes it shuts itself off after going into sleep mode.

But good thing I use One Drive because I don't have to worry about backing up my files and I can access them on any computer from online by logging into my account just as long as there is internet access. Before then I used to sometimes back them up to a external hard drive and I would save my new stories on a private forum for back up. I even have a disc with my old files on it still.

My ex had a laptop and one day I was using it and it rebooted itself and would start up but it wouldn't load Windows so it kept on restarting itself. The hard drive had went out was why and it was a new computer so it had warranty.

My first thought is an overheating GPU - maybe a dead GPU fan - something you'd want a pro to get hands-on to fix. If you're not moving and/or shaking the machine when it turns itself off, then it's not likely to be a loose ribbon, which is also common.

You might try monitoring your system's GPU temperature with an application like AIDA64, see if it's getting really hot before it shuts off and comes back on.

Ugh I think I broke my computer. I enabled safe mode and now I can't get out of it. I even can't open system configuration because I don't know how to access it without typing in a search bar and that mode won't let me type in it to find it. Even restarting it won't help or turning it off because it opens in safe mode and I can't run anything on it. Internet is off and audio and virus program won't turn on.

Also my new computer never felt hot. I am going to have to take it in today and see what is wrong with my PC and if it's going to cost more than the computer to fix, I might just trash it and get a new one down the road. And my reason for it would be limited GB space and I know next time 32 GB isn't enough room. Is 64 GB plenty?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to get to system configuration without having to type it in search? Is there a way to access that menu from control panel or something? Every time I have looked it up, it keeps saying type it in search bar. No no no, that doesn't work on my computer in safe mode and I have tried searching how to open it in safe mode and same results. NO. So I search for I can't open it in safe mode and still nothing. Still type it it. God Damn it. Google doesn't listen. I gather this problem is unusual and unheard about so it's not showing up in search telling me another way of accessing it.

In windows 10 you can press Windows Flag + X to open a quick menu of system tools.

Songnar said:
In windows 10 you can press Windows Flag + X to open a quick menu of system tools.

Nope doesn't work. It just shows the menu with the apps and settings and control panel, etc in it but no system configuration. I need steps on how to get to that menu. I can't do it from menu because I don't know how to find it. I need concrete steps. And please don't tell me to type it in search on the bottom because it won't let me do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yay I figured it out, I finally found the steps and all I had to do was hit the windows key and the R button at the same time and it showed a window that said Run and I had to typed in a file name and it opened what I was looking for and now I am back in normal windows and everything is back to normal. But I still would need to take it in and tell them when I am using it, it will go into sleep mode and that is while I am on it and the computer isn't left alone and I am touching it and using the mouse pad and then the screen goes back on if I double click and sometimes it shuts off or it restarts and I did turn off sleep mode and everything and the problem still persists.

Calico said:
I have and it still happens so I don't know if it's the motherboard going out or the power supply. The power supply and the charger are two different things I just found out or just a system failure. It even rebooted itself again after I had unselected that box for operation system failure. I might use it in safe mode and do my normal stuff and see if I notice anything. I also turned off auto power off.

I once had a computer that was hand built and it was only two years old when it quit booting up. You would turn it on and it would shut off right away and this was a desk top. My dad took it in and they said it was the motherboard and it was cheaper getting a new computer and he would move all the files to a disk for me after getting a new computer. Mine boots up and starts but then it goes into sleep mode and sometimes it shuts itself off after going into sleep mode.

But good thing I use One Drive because I don't have to worry about backing up my files and I can access them on any computer from online by logging into my account just as long as there is internet access. Before then I used to sometimes back them up to a external hard drive and I would save my new stories on a private forum for back up. I even have a disc with my old files on it still.

My ex had a laptop and one day I was using it and it rebooted itself and would start up but it wouldn't load Windows so it kept on restarting itself. The hard drive had went out was why and it was a new computer so it had warranty.
That actually false, motherboards are actually pretty cheap and can get up there in price. You can get a low end motherboard for like $40. Processors are a different story though. If the processor gets a good cooler, you should be good for awhile. However, when you get cheaper processors, they are limited to what they can do. Putting a lot of strain on the processor can cause it to fail. I know a lot of computer manufacturers put cheap cooling systems in place. Cooler could fail and the processor could have a safety feature that shutdown a computer when it overheats.

Netbooks typically have a small processor and usually use the processor's integrated graphics which means that watching videos, playing games, even graphic rich websites are all putting strain on your processor along with everything else your computer is doing. Netbooks usually have little to no ventilation.

I don't know exactly what you do on your netbook. I don't know what you'd like to be able to do.

What I can say is stay away from AMD processors. They tend to heat and fail way more often than Intel. Investing a little more on a computer, getting higher quality parts well reward you years later when it doesn't break.

Usually when computers do break, usually straining and maximizing its capabilities over time will cause it to have a shortened life. Buying cheap PCs will last you a short while until technology makes it irrelevant in a couple of years.

With all of this said, if you'd like advice ask away. I'm sure others will also help guide you to making a wiser purchasing decision.

As for hard drive space, 64GB is nowhere near enough. It's suitable space for a smart phone these days.

Please let me or someone help you with a new computer purchase so you don't have to throw money away. Even if you don't want to build it yourself, we can guide you in the right direction.

I also want to offer you a suitable replacement. $350 for a computer that will be more than capable to last longer than a couple of years.

CPU - Intel G4400 3.3Ghz - http://amzn.to/2ipJOae - $62.22
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon RX460 Windforce OC 4GB (optional, but you can put less strain on a processor. You can find a cheaper video/graphics cards if any kind of gaming doesn't interest you.) - http://amzn.to/2ika33R $99.99
RAM - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 - http://amzn.to/2iRMY9w $51.99
MOBO - MSI Intel Skylake H110 LGA 1151 - http://amzn.to/2hECyZ4 $44.99
Case - VIVO "SMART" Micro-ATX Tower - http://amzn.to/2hXiE9D $36.49
PSU - EVGA 430 W1, 80+ WHITE 430W - http://amzn.to/2hAtnFS $31.99
HDD - OCZ SSD & Seagate 500GB Used $30.99 and HDD is optional.

A solid state drive can make your computer a lot faster. By installing Windows and other preferred programs, it'll be a night and day difference.

This setup should last you a lot longer, provide much more function, and if you'd like to play games, it should be a great upgrade to what you have now.

Hello there. I noticed you said you have all your files on a cloud storage site. If reformatting is not an issue for you I would recommend using the Win 10 Media tool as it will help you do a clean re install of windows along with formatting your drives. If the problem persists it is most likely a component that is causing some sort of over heating or short circuit.

The reinstal is ofcourse if you think you have a virus also do not bother with any antivirus software as it is not very helpful. Win 10 defender is more than enough. Hope this helped

I think the most important thing is to figure out whether it's a software or hardware issue.

An easy way to do this would be to use a live GNU/Linux distribution. Basically, you can install another operating system (Linux) on a CD/DVD/USB stick, and then boot from that. (You will probably need to press a key when your laptop boots to get it to boot from the CD/DVD/USB instead of just booting up Windows on your hard drive.)

I really like Slax. You can download it, burn it to CD/DVD/USB, boot it, and you're ready to go. You should be able to run basic programs (web browser, word processor, etc.) without needing to configure anything -- it should all just work.

https://www.slax.org/

Give it a go and see if your computer goes into suspend/hibernate mode. If it does, it's a hardware issue; otherwise it's software related.

If it is software-related, I'd check the screensaver and power-saving settings in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back