• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Computer Names

How do you name your computer(s)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Private
Computers may be named to identify them on a network (e.g. through NETBIOS) or otherwise identified (e.g. a label with BLINKENBOX attached to a machine).

What do you name your computer(s), and why?

As an example, my machines are named for philosophers.

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I use my nicknames for the computers. The nicknames I'm into, the ones I name the computer with.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
One is "(my name)-PC". Yeah, it's boring. But my other one is "It's a cow!"

F

Falkio

"COMRADE APPAREL PC"

I use it on a network connected to printers and such for sublimation printing. The name "Comrade" came from a gag related to The Party in 1984. I was reading it at the time when I set up shop.

My slogan was going to be "Inner party quality, at an outer party price!"

Maxicoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy, Little
Current one i'm on Is Master Qel-Droma.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]OWNER-TYPE.

Yeah, I'm boring.

So I have

MELAPTOP
BROLAPTOP
PARENTSLAPTOP

and previously

MEDESKTOP

(With ME and BRO being replaced by my and my brothers actual names).
[/font]

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Just chose a name, not of something specific.

My main rig: Helix is named after my best friend
My old rig: Brisingr is named after a book series the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon)
My iPod: Nutcase is a name I originally thought up for the CanSat project as Callsign for the can but I loke enough to use for my iPod.
I haven't used my laptop since I started naming stuff so it doesn't have a name.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Other, Private
mines are named after characters and objects from the Legend of Zelda Series

my Laptop is called Triforce, because its a centrino, and it was the first thing that came into my mind :_)

my main/Gaming PC is called Hyrule (II) - being Renamed from Moblin to Hyrule, because Moblin was already in use for a Project by intel if i remember rite

the II in the name is not actually in use , but just an indicator because its the second incarnation of Hyrule, with the first hardwareset being replaced a few weeks ago :)

Gaybee

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Mine is named Wing Ding, my friends wanted to use that as my nickname but i said no and instead used it for a computer

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I called my file server one as "MR-SEED" (a compaq proliant 5u server) and my desktop as my online Alias to be easily spotted at Lan Parties.

Other than that, it's mostly their Manufacture.

Like my laptop is "DELL"
Desktop is "GIGA" (gigabyte motherboard)
my IBM desktop is "IBM"
Parents packardbell is "PACKARD"
my netbook is "HPmini" (HP was too short, although in windows it's "HPXP")

Sometimes I put the OS on. This is especially true for VMs. I put VMXP and VMopenBSD etc...

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
As of yesterday I used Greek Mythology creatures/beings and people. But, as of today, I had the brilliant idea of naming my whole network after 101 Dalmatians characters. Has been going pretty well I must say!

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I actually use a naming convention.

4 letters for model, size (laptop) or model# (desktop), LT or DT and number. Ex Insp14LT1 or Vost200DT1. Keeps things neat and I can usually keep track of what computers I have.

Siddy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
my laptop is named "de-mouse" and my computer is named "kai-pc". Been thinking of changing the computer's name but don't feel like having to remap some of the network drives for my mom and sisters computers.

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well since mine are all Macs, I name the computer itself the codename of the particular model...and name the hard drive after the codename of the OS contained therein.

So a Performa 6400 would be named "InstaTower", and it's hard drive containing OS 8 would be named "Tempo".

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, some years back I built my first computer. It was such a huge jump from what I was using before that I named it "the-beast". Since then, most of my computers have had names involving beast (my laptop became mobile-beast, for instance).

The main exception was the Sun Ultra 40 I got to use for a summer at school. That machine was an AMD Opteron (hammer) which I named Thor. Man, that box kicked a lot of ass.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
usually my main system is named "jonathan-1" always. any other systems that are for my use get a name like "jonathan-i7" which would indicate which system it was based on the hardware in it, in this example, the CPU type.

I also name all my disk drives after planets, and when I run out of planets, I use characters' names from a TV show.

bgi39jsjw0ggg

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I tend to name them after their function. WORKPC, GAMINGPC, FILESERVER1, BACKUPSERVER1, ROUTER, LAPTOP, VIRTUALSERVER, etc.

And yes, those are currently all active computers on my home network.

Status
Not open for further replies.