Computer Addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
As you all know, many people spend vast amounts of hours on the computer, with no social life beyond that of the screen. Some people playfully refer them as 'basement dwellers''.

So, either way, Computer Addiction : Anarchy mode discussion. Are you addicted? Know people who are? Why are people led to it in the first place? blah blah.

Start.

(P.S : I looked around the forum and tried 'Check if already posted''. I didn't find anything. If there is such a topic, do delete this.)

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'm addicted. Not in the sense that I need it every hour of every day, but it drives me nuts when I don't have net access for 3+ days. At the same time though.. I don't just chat and forum it up, I work online. I have my 'lil tiny business going on, and my clients get pissed if their stuff isn't done on time, so to make money Net access is a necessity for me.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
OMG. Mom, is that you? :p Seriously; yeah, all throughout the school year it's been wake up -- check computer for IMs and posts on boards -- go to school, check in every chance I can -- get home at 3PM, and stay on the computer until sleep at around 11.

But now that it's been warmer out and school's over with for the summer, I've been away from the computer a lot more than before. TBH, yesterday was the first time I've touched my machines in a week's time period! I remember a collegue of mine starting a thread on one of my sites saying "Where the hell did mm3 go?!". But, yeah...

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Yes I am a computer addict, I spend many hours a day on line, just leaving messages, and chatting thru posts.

I still get done what needs to be done, but then again I don't have a whole lot to do..

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'm pretty much always on the computer...But I do go out and have a social life...Just...The soft, supple glow of the computer monitor tantalizes my emotions and grabs onto my soul...Hehe...

Abercrombiestud

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
LOL my friends actually have to force me off the computer. I spend way to much time on the internet.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I wouldn't say that I'm addicted... but I do spend a lot of time online.

One of my friends was (maybe still is...) addicted to his computer, he'd rather stay in and play WOW than hang out... And I mean he never came out EVER.

I just go on the computer when I've got nothing better to do, or when I'm procrastinating. :p

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
I'm not really addicted, I just usually have no reason not to go on the computer. I mean, when it's down to a choice between doing nothing and sitting in front of a computer doing nothing, I'm gonna chose the computer every time.

And then when I do have something to do, I prefer to do it while also on the computer. I guess it's just that being online makes me feel less lonely.

It's true I don't go out very often, but that's not because I'd rather spend time online, it's just because I don't go out. If something I wanted to or needed to do came up, I'd go do that instead. But there aren't many things I particularly want or need to do.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Yep, I'm addicted. I once installed a thing that tracked the time I was on the computer and it generally added up to 8 hours on a school day. And way more on a weekend day. Though if I have other things to do then I can get off my PC though. I just don't have that very often.

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Yeah, I'm prolly what you'd call addicted. n.n;
Sorta like what Jack said, it's pretty much a choice between doing nothing and doing nothing on the computer. My friends from school don't live anywhere around here, and there's not much else to do that's close.

Then again, one of my friends is getting his license sometime this summer and is planning on bringing the whole "group" together, so I'll prolly be spending a bit less time on the computer when that happens.

r0bino

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I spend lots of time on my laptop each day, evenly distributed between work related stuff and "recreational" computer time. I think the point when it becomes an addiction is when you start to sit in front of that machine even if you don't know what to do with it. Sadly, I do that alot, too, but I'm starting to find interesting stuff to do, especially because it's summer.

It's kinda weird sometimes, really. I could even play loads of computer games, but they are never tempting enough to get me away from "doing nothing" (= checking RSS feeds, cycling through IRC channels, following youtube links, and sometimes even browsing boring imageboards if I'm bored out of my mind).

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I am addicted, my mother and my shrink (who fortunately leaves the school next year) know it, think it's bad and all but don't comment about my TV-addicted sister. Oh well.

I have some kind of social life outside of the comp, though. I enjoy going to school for the sole reason of having people to talk to, or even to observe. I have a friend (who happens to be a hardcore PC gamer), I'm looking for a job, I go outside rarely, but it happens.

cpndl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
When I first discovered I could use a computer for "Social contact" I was hooked. I was in High School at the time and I almost flunked out because I would much rather sit on the computer and talk to my new "friends" then to do my homework. What's the scary part? That this was in 1979 before the PC was even built. This was a mainframe system with dial-up access from all over the area so I got to know these kids from all over the state. The way I kicked this addiction, was that I went in the military and went cold turkey. Later when the PC got popular and AOL etc started, I was almost sucked back in, but by that time I was married and so had lots of other interests. Now a days, this forum is pretty much my only on-line social contact. I use a computer extensively at work, so when I get home, I don't always feel much like jumping on. It's the same way when people ask me to work on their home PC's, I tell them no thanks. I work on computers for work, not for a hobby. I have learned to use my computer as a tool for my other hobbies I have and not to let it be my sole focus of my life.

cpndl

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
As you all know, many people spend vast amounts of hours on the computer, with no social life beyond that of the screen. Some people playfully refer them as 'basement dwellers''.

So, either way, Computer Addiction : Anarchy mode discussion. Are you addicted? Know people who are? Why are people led to it in the first place? blah blah.

Start.

(P.S : I looked around the forum and tried 'Check if already posted''. I didn't find anything. If there is such a topic, do delete this.)
It sounds like I am. I'm on the computer for most of the day. And I don't have a social life outside of the computer (though not by choice). Meh, I guess I was led to it, because I made my first ever friends over the internet.... *loser*

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
seldom a day goes by that i don't spend at least an hour or two online. i don't think there's any reason to feel guilty about it: there are a lot of people i care about that i can only talk to on the internet. and it's not like i never leave the house or anything like that....

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I probably do need to socialize more. I do have deep-seeded interests, but for every hobby, there seems to be a message board or three hundred, and I do love message boards.

I am going completely insane right now. My computer works, but I tried to install YIM and AIM, both of which a friend from another forum have, and the installations didn't take, so it's off to Geek Squad for me, I think. :(

In times like this, I do need to get out and do something, even if it's just going to Wal-Mart for a sub at Subway.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Hmm, good topic, but I would say no I am not addicted. Like I do go on the computer every day for at least an hour, sometimes several hours, but thats just because I have nothing better to do really. Plus I am in too much physical pain to be going out a lot.

Defintion of Addiction: Continuing to use, or do something after negative conseqeunces have come for it.

So say for example your parents catch you on ADISC and they take your computer away, but you do whatever possible to sneak the computer back so you can use it, instead of taking a break until they give it back, well then that would be addiction. So having a hard time functioning without it, would classify it as an addiction.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I dunno if I'm addicted...I spend all my spare time online...when I'm not sleeping...does that mean I'm addicted? Of course, other than telephone it's my only contact with daddy 'n baby...soooooooo...I need it! It's not an addiction, it's a necessity! :p

James

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Yeah i am addicted, I'm basically on the computer 24/7. The main reason is because i get so bored, I have really nothing to do so, i go online. I mean, If i have something to do i'll pick that over the computer anytime. Usually when i go swimming, or hang out with my sisters/my friends from school, i am not on the computer.

Entity

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Im not really addicted as I see places like facebook as completely useless to me. And I do try to get out and play almost every day. So no im not addicted. My post count and status as a Lurker proves my point. Although being demoted to lurker is kind of annoying. How many posts do I need in order to move up?

Status
Not open for further replies.