Comments from store clerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straycatz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
The other day I went in to a "Big Box" store and found a pair of pink snowbibs. Upon taking them to the checkout counter, the guy commented to me, "These are going to look ravishing on you." To which I kept an absolute poker face and replied, "Yes, they are." This kind of thing does not bother me much anymore (There was a time I would have blushed brightly and gotten nervous). That being said, don't most stores now tell their employees that it is taboo to comment on purchases to their customers at checkout?

You handled the situation perfectly, and seemed rather normal. Wonderful work at person-ing!

For your side thing, actually quite the opposite really. I mean, obviously there is certain obvious taboo's.. but anything that seems normal and doesn't have a taboo associated with it is absolutely fair game. In a customer service position you are supposed to engage with the customer and be friendly and warm.

Making a good connection can be key to creating a lasting impression and making someone a regular costumer. Sometimes that involved times where I made a friendly remark on how much I also loved something a customer bought for instance. It's good salesmanship. He wanted to make you smile, and made what in his mind was a friendly joke. The intent was well-meaning, and I don't really see what the problem with the comment itself was.

I think we've reached a point of cynicism in society whereby people are taught to feel awkward in response to friendliness and compliments. Sure, sometimes people can overdo it, and be creepy. However, in this case, I think the store clerk was just being nice. It's perhaps a rather forward thing to say to a customer, but it sounds like it was definitely said with kind and harmless intent, so if you're going to feel anything about it, I'd feel flattered.

I had a similar experience. I remember how my heart would race and I'd get all sweaty and shakey going to buy GoodNites at like safeway or fred meyers. One time I was checking out and the clerk said something like "Aren't you a bit old to be wearing diapers?" I could have fainted but I just played it off like "It takes some kids longer than others" freaked me right out though and I didn't go back to that store xD

It's pretty funny for an employee to make such a semi-inappropriate joke, but I guess he thought you seemed like the kind of fellow who'd get a laugh out of it! That's assuming he was joking and accidentally hit the mark... If he was being serious that would be little strange in my opinion...
I like the idea that we live in a world where a shop worker could jokingly suggest that you like to wear women's clothing. Although I must admit I would never have been audacious enough to make such jokes when I worked in retail. :p

CatsBrat said:
I had a similar experience. I remember how my heart would race and I'd get all sweaty and shakey going to buy GoodNites at like safeway or fred meyers. One time I was checking out and the clerk said something like "Aren't you a bit old to be wearing diapers?" I could have fainted but I just played it off like "It takes some kids longer than others" freaked me right out though and I didn't go back to that store xD

A clerk really shouldn't make a comment like that. I probably would have said "Honestly, I think you should just shut up and do your job instead of making stupid comments."

He was probably just trying to be funny.

When I worked at Wal-Mart, they told us to take notice in what our customers were buying. They said that since cashiers are the last part of their shopping experience it is the cashiers job to deliver friendly sincere service with a smile in whatever way they can. They said that taking notice in the items they were buying was a good way to start a friendly conversation with the customer to show that you care about them. So I guess it would depend on the store.

NotSoSuperHero14 said:
When I worked at Wal-Mart, they told us to take notice in what our customers were buying. They said that since cashiers are the last part of their shopping experience it is the cashiers job to deliver friendly sincere service with a smile in whatever way they can. They said that taking notice in the items they were buying was a good way to start a friendly conversation with the customer to show that you care about them. So I guess it would depend on the store.

I can't speak for Wally World's policy, but with literally thousands of locations, I would imagine there would be a very wide range of enforcement of such a policy, depending on who the manager on duty was. And even more so when it's an assistant boss. I work in retail, and that's been my experience. Most co-mgr's simply don't give a d@#m about issues like this unless a customer really raises a ruckus.

That said, I wouldn't have the cojones to comment about a customer's purchase. I'll give them a smile and be polite, then move on to the next customer.

brabbit1987 said:
A clerk really shouldn't make a comment like that. I probably would have said "Honestly, I think you should just shut up and do your job instead of making stupid comments."

Because engaging in conversation and having humorous moments with your guests is completely unprofessional, doesn't help business whatsoever, and is the work of Satan. We should report this guy to the authorities - better yet, let's find this guy and throw bricks at him, and then trench his yard.

brabbit1987 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I feel like your offered response is a bit harsh. Again, no ill-intention from the cashier.. and yet answered with direct insult. It's not exactly an equal response to the situation and sort of makes you into the bad guy. It seems to me to be better to just brush if off and not respond, ignore the comment.

Not only that, but acting in a defensive manner will likely cause the very thing most people don't want to happen.. for the cashier to actually start thinking that this item might be for the person buying it if they are acting so defensive about it. I just really don't recommend this route, for the sake of civility or for keeping your purchases casual.

I think that as a sales clerk in retail, you have to be very careful as to what you say to your customer. One should always hold the bar high and be professional. Maybe the clerk was joking, but jokes can easily be misunderstood, and then a manager may become involved.

gigglemuffinz said:
I understand where you are coming from, but I feel like your offered response is a bit harsh. Again, no ill-intention from the cashier.. and yet answered with direct insult. It's not exactly an equal response to the situation and sort of makes you into the bad guy. It seems to me to be better to just brush if off and not respond, ignore the comment.

Not only that, but acting in a defensive manner will likely cause the very thing most people don't want to happen.. for the cashier to actually start thinking that this item might be for the person buying it if they are acting so defensive about it. I just really don't recommend this route, for the sake of civility or for keeping your purchases casual.

I don't think it's harsh in the least bit. Asking someone "Aren't you too old to be wearing diapers?" To me isn't humorous. It's unprofessional, unnecessary, and simply wrong. They may have no ill-intentions, but I am sorry, I will tell them how it is, and I will even explain to them why what they did was wrong. If anything, they should be thankful I wouldn't go straight to their manager.

I don't care if I look like the bad person. If it teaches someone else a little more tact, and saves another person from embarrassment in the future. I will gladly take on that roll.

As for them knowing the diapers are for me. I don't care. It's some random person ... I likely am not going to meet all that often. I rather teach someone something, rather then sitting at the side lines while they try to embarrass me. It's simply not going to happen.

ClandestineWing said:
Because engaging in conversation and having humorous moments with your guests is completely unprofessional, doesn't help business whatsoever, and is the work of Satan. We should report this guy to the authorities - better yet, let's find this guy and throw bricks at him, and then trench his yard.

So .. you would be perfectly fine if a clerk asked you "Aren't you too old to be wearing diapers?" In front of many people? You also call that humorous? You call that professional?

Either you guys think I am talking about the original post and you're misunderstanding me, or we highly disagree on this.

Also . .the whole work of Satan and report him to the authorities bit is a tad too much. Please try to take my comment a little more serious, because it wasn't that bad. Stop exaggerating. And please .. stop being rude with your sarcastic remarks. You are putting way too many words in my mouth.

And you think MY comment was bad lol?

Last edited:
Sound like something Randal would say, right before Dante yells "Randal!" :).

Straycatz said:
The other day I went in to a "Big Box" store and found a pair of pink snowbibs. Upon taking them to the checkout counter, the guy commented to me, "These are going to look ravishing on you." To which I kept an absolute poker face and replied, "Yes, they are." This kind of thing does not bother me much anymore (There was a time I would have blushed brightly and gotten nervous). That being said, don't most stores now tell their employees that it is taboo to comment on purchases to their customers at checkout?

I shop a lot for girls clothing, and for the most part one can instantly tell it's for me and not someone else, just because of the way I dress. I get comments all the time from the clerks. Usually with how cute I am and how the clothing or item I am getting would look great on me. So to me this is fairly normal and if anything it just causes me to blush and giggle a little and I thank them kindly. Although this happens less and less because all the good stores closed in the mall. Claire's is gone .. which sucks. :/

As long as the clerk isn't making some weird remark like "Shouldn't you be wearing more boyish clothing?" ... That is really only when it's stepping over the line.

brabbit1987 said:
I don't think it's harsh in the least bit. Asking someone "Aren't you too old to be wearing diapers?" To me isn't humorous. It's unprofessional, unnecessary, and simply wrong. They may have no ill-intentions, but I am sorry, I will tell them how it is, and I will even explain to them why what they did was wrong. If anything, they should be thankful I wouldn't go straight to their manager.

I don't care if I look like the bad person. If it teaches someone else a little more tact, and saves another person from embarrassment in the future. I will gladly take on that roll.

Alright..

I don't normally like to go here, but I believe there is a reason you changed what the clerk said in your post. Obviously someone going the route you described, the "Aren't you too old for diapers." route would be worth a response like this. Positively. That specific comment you mentioned is completely out of line for a multitude of reasons and I too would likely bring it up with them.

However the comment the clerk gave was not "Aren't you too old for diapers?" but actually.. "These are going to look ravishing on you."

It's hard not to believe that every joke has a semblence of truth to it. It's obvious that every joke can be taken seriously by anyone and one should be careful. But if you too this one seriously, what it it saying? That these bibs would look RAVISHING on the costumer. I personally think this is a amazingly chosen words to say. It's a positive statement. Not a negative one. It might be unprofessional to you, it might be unnecessary.. but in this case it avoids that last bit and I honestly do think that this last bit is the most important one. Because every different person has their own definition of what is professional. Personally I think it is professional to be approachable and friendly with a customer.

What I'm saying is that I personally absolutely agree with being a crusader for a cause. Standing up and telling people it's not okay to say mean comments and get away with them. However I believe in this instance what the clerk said really was just harmless and not "trying to embarrass you" as you said. "Aren't you too old for diapers." would be humiliating to a large amount of people and would be trying to embarrass someone. I would applaud you in that moment for taking a stand. It's wrong.. and should be called out.

However the statement the clerk actually said was actually quite different. Instead of someone being insulted by something insulting, what the clerk said something innocent that could simply being taken as insulting. All different situations require different responses, and gawsh, if you want to go the AB Pride route. I would just take the bib after he scanned it and be like, "Yep. It sure does." and slip it on. If he says something insulting then, then get angry. If not, hell.. you look ravishing baby.

I wouldn't want people to be afraid to speak for fear of accidentally insulting someone, because everything could be taken as an insult. Hell, I don't know if me commenting that a brand of cereal the person has bought has a neat box design might be taken as insulting by the right person. Turning on the gas and getting angry over comments like this is the reason why treat our customer service like they should be emulating U-SCAN's. People aren't robots and to me.. I like being able to walk into a store and have that feeling that everyone here is warm, friendly, and helpful. Almost part of the community. Maybe that's the small-town girl in me speaking. I don't know. Maybe some people think it's unprofessional. I don't think so. It's like when my partner is upset when the Taco Bell people ask her name so they can call it out when they get her order and she gets upset about that. I don't get that either. I always give them my name too.. I like not being order number 005. I like being Angel.

Kinda got off in a tangent while trying to explain where I was coming from sorry. As a sort of end-piece, I really do believe you seem like a really awesome person and I'm not trying to make you out to be a bad guy. We just might disagree on something, it seems.

gigglemuffinz said:

Maybe you should look at the comment I quoted? Because I wasn't talking about the OP. You really need to learn to pay attention, that is what quotes are for.

Just in case you still miss it, let me quote it again. Going to bold the portion so you can see it clearly. This is the comment I was replying too, not the original post.

CatsBrat said:

I figured you would have noticed this by now considering I even mentioned it in my previous post.

Either you guys think I am talking about the original post and you're misunderstanding me, or we highly disagree on this.

Edit: It's actually pretty funny though that you thought I was talking about the OP. But hey, no biggie. Everyone makes mistakes xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back