Cold weather and bladder incontinence.

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
It was 14 degrees this morning. I had to drive to oklahoma city to catch a train to fortworth Tx to see a doctor. So I take the train. But as soon as I stepped out the car after riding over a hour to the station .That cold air hit me and I was going from sitting to standing that triggers me sometimes too. But I was so cold it was so warm. I know to much. I mean it happens all the time in the summer too I leake with no control. But when it is below 20 out it saps my bladder instant. Painful spasm followed by the warmth.
How many of you feel more vulnerable in extreme cold? It is like my bladder is on the out side and can feel it. I don't like it at all.

I had also already leaked on the way to the city some too but not near as bad as that cold made me. I also dribbled when I came out my front door and it was so cold at 6:15. The wife started it 25 mind early. GOD BLESS HER

Last edited:

slimjiminy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
The cold has no triggering effect on me so far. But I have to say that I like the fact that a good pull-up/diaper keeps the fanny warm. And because of that, the whole outdoor experience feels much warmer.

Napincolove

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
One step out into the cold leaving a warm house usually sets my bladder to auto and I get the need then, with almost no delay I feel the front of my Nappy warming up even though I have just been to the toilet and drained the Bladder in the house !
Cold weather always means the most absorbant Nappy in stock must be applied. 🏊

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
One step out into the cold leaving a warm house usually sets my bladder to auto and I get the need then, with almost no delay I feel the front of my Nappy warming up even though I have just been to the toilet and drained the Bladder in the house !
Cold weather always means the most absorbant Nappy in stock must be applied. 🏊
Glad I am not alone. It sucks for the all of us with this issue. But it makes it better hearing others with the issue. If you feel up to answering how long you been incontinent? And how long has the cold made it worse?
If you dont want to answer I get it totally, or you can DM me or ignore me. Lol what ever works

I have had bladder issues all my adult life. But the last 2 or 3 years the cold is like putting my bladder in a vise.

Napincolove

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi Diaperman 95 in response to your question I have had bladder problems since 7 or 8 years old, always tripping off to the toilet three times to everyone else's one trip !
At around 40 things got yo the point where my warning of the "need to go" reduced to about 30 seconds, not much good when out in town or public in general, I would be able to hold it a little with the odd dribble or two coming out.
I will always remember my 40 birthday present when I woke up wet, fortunately I had been padded up with a baby Nappy wrapped around my penis and then the wife sorted out some ic pads that worked well enough for a while, night wetting progressed gradually until the pads would not be enough and by then I had had all the tests and then the wife sorted out cloth Nappies and plastic pants for me, that lasted a few years until I got to see the second ." continence nurse" who got me disposables.
I always had to run inside to the toilet after around 7 to 8 years old after my bladder incident ( long coach trip no loo 😠) if it was cold outside and as a youngster the only way to be social with my mates was not to drink anything the day before or during as any fluid goes in and rapidly comes out, no retention seemingly.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So temperature fluctuations also sometimes play a role. However, I wouldn't want to tie that to winter or the weather. There are a few triggers where I have to be careful - but they are either independent of the outside temperature or occur more in the summer. These include, for example, heavily air-conditioned supermarkets or server rooms. Walking barefoot on cold tiles is also not really good. Sometimes cold water is enough.

I guess the reason why the temperature difference occurs more often in summer is because you are dressed thinner and the temperature difference affects the whole body. And not only on face and hands - but however - that is probably different for everyone with urge problem.

slimjiminy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
In my case (urinary urgent bladder), I find that if I stop while standing, it often triggers. Many times I have urged in front of cashiers or bank tellers. If I had kept moving, the urge was less likely to occur. But that deferral only works to a point- eventually the bladder has to have its way. I still can urge sitting down and have urged walking into a mall.

FudgedInLuvs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
Urgency for me seems like it increases in extreme temperatures, heat because I'm drinking so much to replenish myself, but I have also noticed it in the cold. In undergrad I took the train to campus, and would have to huff it over a mile to get to my building. Spring and autumn, it was spectacular, and I was in love with campus. When we came back for winter though, and if it was a cold day I had to plan my route going through various buildings so I could make 3-4 stops, even being a bit like George Costanza having my favorite bathrooms AND urinals. It was aggravating, but once I was settled in class/lab/study I was well set and had no issues, and when I was with my girlfriend of the time, oddly enough I rarely had an urge issues around her. so much she actually even pointed it out! "we've been working together for years, and yet I do think I've ever once seen you have to get up for the bathroom!". Summer, expected urge from replenishing fluids, but summer I could drive and park close to where I needed to be (no students, so actually some F---ING parking!!!)

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Yes - it's interesting what can trigger the urge. The situations in which this actually always occurs with me are when walking and when getting up - please do not misunderstand - in these situations the urge is so strong that I can no longer hold it. In the 1.5 to two hours that I walk daily, I sometimes lose almost a liter. Somehow the kidneys are then apparently of the opinion to have to filter extra much. Same problem when I have been sitting longer. I do notice at some point that the lower abdomen presses - which is a sure sign better to go to the toilet but when I get up the urge is often so strong that I rarely arrive dry in such a situation there....

I think that is in both cases because the pressure of the body weight irritates the bladder nerves. But I do not really understand it yet. When I sleep fit about 600ml in my bladder. In the meantime I can sleep through the night again (about 6 hours) and if I don't make the mistake of getting up in the morning, but use the bed bottle lying down, it goes well in 90% of the cases. But if it starts during the day then it happens with a bladder level of maybe 150 - 200ml. I don't understand why this works again at night and my bladder can store so much - but during the day it still fails miserably - I think one explanation would be that the movement irritates the nerves too much. The question is: How can I solve the problem (I'm already trying to lose weight...)?

Does anyone also know the problem and has perhaps found a solution?

EcoIncon

Cloth diaper anyone?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Changes in temperature or a trigger for me. So is being cold. -20F here this morning when I left the house. I'll save you the suspense, I had to change my pull-up when I got to work.

messydiaper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Me too. Cold temps mean increase in urge incontinence. No protection equals wet (cold) pants.

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Yes - it's interesting what can trigger the urge. The situations in which this actually always occurs with me are when walking and when getting up - please do not misunderstand - in these situations the urge is so strong that I can no longer hold it. In the 1.5 to two hours that I walk daily, I sometimes lose almost a liter. Somehow the kidneys are then apparently of the opinion to have to filter extra much. Same problem when I have been sitting longer. I do notice at some point that the lower abdomen presses - which is a sure sign better to go to the toilet but when I get up the urge is often so strong that I rarely arrive dry in such a situation there....

I think that is in both cases because the pressure of the body weight irritates the bladder nerves. But I do not really understand it yet. When I sleep fit about 600ml in my bladder. In the meantime I can sleep through the night again (about 6 hours) and if I don't make the mistake of getting up in the morning, but use the bed bottle lying down, it goes well in 90% of the cases. But if it starts during the day then it happens with a bladder level of maybe 150 - 200ml. I don't understand why this works again at night and my bladder can store so much - but during the day it still fails miserably - I think one explanation would be that the movement irritates the nerves too much. The question is: How can I solve the problem (I'm already trying to lose weight...)?

Does anyone also know the problem and has perhaps found a solution?
from what I understand and was told by a urologist is when you fall into that deeper rem sleep your kidneys actually slow down urine production on most people. This is so your body can rest without having to get up as much. But I say most people because I wet pretty severe at night. The human body is a amazing thing I just wish my body was in better shape.

mikesecret

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
It was 14 degrees this morning. I had to drive to oklahoma city to catch a train to fortworth Tx to see a doctor. So I take the train. But as soon as I stepped out the car after riding over a hour to the station .That cold air hit me and I was going from sitting to standing that triggers me sometimes too. But I was so cold it was so warm. I know to much. I mean it happens all the time in the summer too I leake with no control. But when it is below 20 out it saps my bladder instant. Painful spasm followed by the warmth.
How many of you feel more vulnerable in extreme cold? It is like my bladder is on the out side and can feel it. I don't like it at all.

I had also already leaked on the way to the city some too but not near as bad as that cold made me. I also dribbled when I came out my front door and it was so cold at 6:15. The wife started it 25 mind early. GOD BLESS HER
The really cold weather just recently started where I live. Usually if Im not going out for very long I dont put on a pullup because there expensive if you change them a lot. I had to go a couple blocks away earlier this week to pick up cheese and bread and a couple other things. I didnt feel I needed to go when I left the house. The weather was about 10 degrees when I left. There was no open restroom at the store and I felt the urge to go when I was standing in line waiting to pay. By the time I was halfway home I felt the urgent need to go and lost control and soaked my cotton briefs and the crotch of my jeans as well as down one pant leg. I had to change when I got home. Ive had more problems with my bladder control lately even when Im at home but I think the cold makes it worse when Im outside.

slimjiminy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
The really cold weather just recently started where I live. Usually if Im not going out for very long I dont put on a pullup because there expensive if you change them a lot. ... There was no open restroom at the store and I felt the urge to go when I was standing in line waiting to pay. By the time I was halfway home I felt the urgent need to go and lost control and soaked my cotton briefs and the crotch of my jeans as well as down one pant leg.
Very early on, I decided I would wear a pull-up every day to avoid that embarrassment (you're lucky it was in your car). Sometimes I wear a barely adequate pull-up to save money but that is safer than no protection at all. Better pull-ups are often on sale at the local drug store, so I take advantage of sales. The bottom line is that if you don't like planning ahead (like me), then you need to use the minimum of protection daily.

My wife has asked me a few times why I wear a pull-up when I'm just kicking about at home. I have to reminder her that I often end up with unplanned zippings out to get this or that or some other excursion. I would have to be out of protection to leave the house unprotected.

mikesecret

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
Very early on, I decided I would wear a pull-up every day to avoid that embarrassment (you're lucky it was in your car). Sometimes I wear a barely adequate pull-up to save money but that is safer than no protection at all. Better pull-ups are often on sale at the local drug store, so I take advantage of sales. The bottom line is that if you don't like planning ahead (like me), then you need to use the minimum of protection daily.

My wife has asked me a few times why I wear a pull-up when I'm just kicking about at home. I have to reminder her that I often end up with unplanned zippings out to get this or that or some other excursion. I would have to be out of protection to leave the house unprotected.
For a long time now Ive only worn a pullup when I think I will be out for awhile. I dont wear them at home but because Im having more accidents I probably should. My daytime IC is increasing a lot these days and I dont know if its from medications or what else is causing it but Im probably losing bladder control about four times a day usually when Im walking or at least standing although sometimes if Im sitting on the computer for a long time too. If I wait until I feel a really strong sense of urgency its usually too late to make it to the bathroom. Pullups cost money and I have a limited income so I try to manage. Ive thought about looking to see if I can find an adult size of the kind of training pants (really thick washable underpants) I wore under rubber or plastic pants when I was young. I wonder if these are available?

Angelapinks

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
The really cold weather just recently started where I live. Usually if Im not going out for very long I dont put on a pullup because there expensive if you change them a lot. I had to go a couple blocks away earlier this week to pick up cheese and bread and a couple other things. I didnt feel I needed to go when I left the house. The weather was about 10 degrees when I left. There was no open restroom at the store and I felt the urge to go when I was standing in line waiting to pay. By the time I was halfway home I felt the urgent need to go and lost control and soaked my cotton briefs and the crotch of my jeans as well as down one pant leg. I had to change when I got home. Ive had more problems with my bladder control lately even when Im at home but I think the cold makes it worse when Im outside.
I have had that happen so often that I started wearing a pull up and plastic or rubber pants. It is embarrassing to be standing in line and then let go and not be able to stop. You hope nobody can see under your coat or that you leave a puddle behind and I try to go moments before I leave the house just in case but if it is cold, I am doomed and will often let go before I make it home even on short trips.

slimjiminy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For a long time now Ive only worn a pullup when I think I will be out for awhile. I dont wear them at home but because Im having more accidents I probably should. My daytime IC is increasing a lot these days and I dont know if its from medications or what else is causing it but Im probably losing bladder control about four times a day usually when Im walking or at least standing although sometimes if Im sitting on the computer for a long time too. If I wait until I feel a really strong sense of urgency its usually too late to make it to the bathroom. Pullups cost money and I have a limited income so I try to manage. Ive thought about looking to see if I can find an adult size of the kind of training pants (really thick washable underpants) I wore under rubber or plastic pants when I was young. I wonder if these are available?
My urges often occur when I stand still for a moment or stand up out of bed, or getting off of the couch. I have urged so many times in front of cashiers or bank tellers (and tried to avoid having a pee face). If I lie on the couch for a long time (watching NFL), then I'm often oblivious that I am in the danger zone. Then when you think you're going to get up and use the toilet, that's always when you take a phone call or answer the door. At that point, you urge and you're undone.

Cloth diapering is an option (I've tried it for overnights) but you have to be prepared to do a lot of laundry (and have enough diapers to get you through times of no laundry). The cost of getting enough initial diapers is a bit steep.

mikesecret

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
My urges often occur when I stand still for a moment or stand up out of bed, or getting off of the couch. I have urged so many times in front of cashiers or bank tellers (and tried to avoid having a pee face). If I lie on the couch for a long time (watching NFL), then I'm often oblivious that I am in the danger zone. Then when you think you're going to get up and use the toilet, that's always when you take a phone call or answer the door. At that point, you urge and you're undone.

Cloth diapering is an option (I've tried it for overnights) but you have to be prepared to do a lot of laundry (and have enough diapers to get you through times of no laundry). The cost of getting enough initial diapers is a bit steep.
Ive tried cloth diapers at nightime and they are lot of work. I used to have supplementry medical coverage that paid for some disposible supplies but it ended a while ago. So now Im on my own and try to get by the less expensive way I can.

GeorgeG

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent

Cold sometimes has that effect, but it is minimal compared to the sitting, then standing. My bladder can hold more when sitting.