Coffee/alcohol, incontinence and living

WoodenBelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has everyone with IC given up on caffeine and alcohol? From the Marines and college the three things that keep my body working (no specific order) haha, are alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. Which, apparently all give OAB and IC a huge boost.

What have you swapped it out with? Or do you use in moderation?
I’ve actually read that THC/CBD helps with urges and control, but I am looking at jobs where I can’t do that.

Cheers

Thankfully unless I’m driving 10+ hours I don’t use Red Bull or monsters, unless like I said I’m driving or staying awake for a specific reason

I'm a coffee addict here, I brew it in espresso french press, filter and turkish way.
In no way did I or will I give up my coffee addiction.
I consume some stronger alcohol at infrequent times (just small amounts) but same with that, not quitting.

I don't like the coffee giving a nasty smell to the diaper , especially not when at work, but I don't mind if its giving me more urges. As long as I wear protection I'm safe. It's when not wearing, then I avoid coffee.

Well, I’m not incontinent, but if I was, I’d certainly stick with the coffee and booze and just wear a good nappy ;)

nope, I drink coffee (a lot of coffee) and don't drink a lot of alcohol or nowhere as much as I did when I was in the Air Force.

The doc gave me a list of bladder irritants and said "your symptoms may decrease if you cut out these foods".

It was a list of all of my favorite foods and drinks.

I proceeded to order more absorbent diapers.

• Haha
Reactions: KimbaFoxNatsume, SorcerorElf, Jonnythepony and 1 other person
Life w/o my daily pot of coffee isn't worth living.
When I choose to enjoy my alcoholic drinks? Same principle.
I don't smoke. I don't chew. I don't abuse/misuse drugs.
Man's gotta have SOME bad habits! (favorite retort to my Primary Physician who scolds me)
:)

Reactions: WoodenBelly and ChocChip
I want to get better, I want to get out of wearing products and diapers. But at the same time if this is a life changing thing, I don’t want to live in fear and not have fun. Screw that.

I drink coffee daily, usually an espresso in the morning and a flat white/latte in the afternoon. I don't want to give that up. (I can't actually, I would fall asleep during work.)
Regarding alcohol, I used to drink some beers at night after getting home from work, but since my bladder control is gone I gave that up. I don't drink much, although I have a glass of beer or some wine at social gatherings, but not nearly as much as I used to before. I significantly reduced my alcohol intake.
Regarding smoking, I have long swithced to vaping, way before my bladder issues have started. But I still use eliquid with nicotine in it, although way lower amount than I used to when smoked regular cigarettes. I don't want to give this up, either.
I decided that alcohol did not worth the cost, however, vaping and coffee do for me, and anyway, giving them up would not make my symptoms go. Maybe I would void less, but my issues would still be there, so I decided to deal with the effects.

I don't drink coffee a lot, but will on the odd occasion. Same also goes for alcoholic beverages.

I also acknowledge the fact that caffeinated and alcoholic beverages can act as diuretics.

I try to avoid this. If I drink coffee, beer, drinks that contain a lot of acid like orange juice or eat spicy (hot) food I can be sure that things go wrong. In general I can say the more acid the more pain. With alcoholics also in little doses accidents are guaranteed but not that painful... So I try to avoid all of that over the daytime. If I go out I wear diapers.

WoodenBelly said:
Has everyone with IC given up on caffeine and alcohol? From the Marines and college the three things that keep my body working (no specific order) haha, are alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. Which, apparently all give OAB and IC a huge boost.

What have you swapped it out with? Or do you use in moderation?
I’ve actually read that THC/CBD helps with urges and control, but I am looking at jobs where I can’t do that.

Cheers

Spent 14 years in the Air Force and have the same three bad habits. I was unsure what to do at first when things started getting worse but then I said "nah, screw that!" I have a nasty Diet Coke habit, can't seem to take a break at work without a bit of nicotine, and still enjoy a few barley pops at the end of the week. Do these habits make my symptoms worse? Maybe? Most likely, especially the Diet Coke. I just don't let it affect how I live my life.

Reactions: eastcoastdl
Here’s my take. I’ll be in diapers whether I drink coffee, soda or beer or not. Do they make my situation worse? I’m sure they do. But at the end of day happiness over a few less diaper changes is more important to me.

Reactions: eastcoastdl
Ehorton said:
Here’s my take. I’ll be in diapers whether I drink coffee, soda or beer or not. Do they make my situation worse? I’m sure they do. But at the end of day happiness over a few less diaper changes is more important to me.
Happiness is a clean dry diaper!

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, mickdl and Ebabyboy12
While I usually only drink socially, coffee, iced tea, and nicotine are mainstays to my routine. They may contribute to making my IC worse, and certainly worsen my bowel issues, but I'm not giving them up without a fight! What I have given up is pop (soda/Coke/etc. for those of you not from Ohio) as I have found that I will, 100% of the time, flood at night when I drink pop. Generally, the only times I leak at night are when I drink soda, so unless I'm drinking a mixed drink or it is the only thing available, I avoid it.

Reactions: WoodenBelly and Ebabyboy12
alwayz said:
Indeed. I just wish my diaper would stay dry for more the 10 minutes after putting a new one. It’s like I’m never dry. My bladder is always leaking. 😢

Reactions: chuck and WoodenBelly
WoodenBelly said:
I want to get better, I want to get out of wearing products and diapers. But at the same time if this is a life changing thing, I don’t want to live in fear and not have fun. Screw that.

I find there is a tipping point where too much coffee (caffeine) really makes bladder issues worse (more-wet) and under that threshold, I can tolerate the effects better. You maybe able to figure out where that is for you. Either stop altogether for a couple of weeks or gradually reduce amounts of only one of your vices to see which has the bigger effect on your bladder accidents.

As other said, stay hydrated. It makes a big difference on how my bladder feels both during the day and at night (a bit counter-intuitive).

Reactions: WoodenBelly
daylight said:
I find there is a tipping point where too much coffee (caffeine) really makes bladder issues worse (more-wet) and under that threshold, I can tolerate the effects better. You maybe able to figure out where that is for you. Either stop altogether for a couple of weeks or gradually reduce amounts of only one of your vices to see which has the bigger effect on your bladder accidents.

As other said, stay hydrated. It makes a big difference on how my bladder feels both during the day and at night (a bit counter-intuitive).
Actually when i drink a lot of coffee the morning is the worst but by the afternoon I'm slightly dehydrated and can get by better, upon returning home i rehydrate.

I told my urologist that I drink coffee from the time I get up until I go to bed and he said I would have more frequent losses but I'll just change more often. I won't give up my coffee.

Reactions: ChocChip and chuck
alwayz said:
Or "nappiness" is a clean dry diaper ;)

Back