Cloth - Disposable training pants - replica

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsagiOmutsu

Est. Contributor
Messages
56
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I had the idea recently to make a cloth training pant as close to the look and fit of a disposable one as possible. I'm not thinking of something like a cloth diaper, more like a PUL pant that you would put a pad into. I'm going to explore the possibility of printing designs on white PUL with my plotter so I can make custom designs.

So I bought some PUL at a local fabric shop and after the lady cutting it was done she asked me what I was using it for. I probably had the least convincing or at least most strange answer to that question. I said " Someone asked me if I could print on it. I'm not sure why they want it printed on." I had already came up with several good uses for the stuff other then diapers. Heck I could have said that I was going to try to print designs on it for a custom umbrella even though my mind went strait to printing on it.

Anyway I would like to know what everyone thinks about it. I have already made a diaper cover out of latex myself because buying one is way too expensive. But it was very difficult to work with.
 

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Messages
1,526
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
I sew and am interested in how it works out. Sounds like a great plan. I went to Walmart and bought flannel backed vinyl since I did not find PUL. I have a sheet of it under my sheet on my bed and I made a bed pad out of it by sewing a receiving blanket inside. It is not as comfortable as my ic pad, but it is way cuter. The problem is I folded it over the blanket to help reduce any wicking and so the corners are a little bit stiff and pointed. I guess next time I should round the corners like my ic pad. I also made a diaper type cover with a pocket for a pad. I think it needs leak guards though.
Fascinating
 

UsagiOmutsu

Est. Contributor
Messages
56
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I made my 1st prototype too small, fits tight like an actual goodnight would on me but rises higher. The PUL stretches but I tried to make it stretch too far. I got over a yard so I can make a few designs until I make one that works.
 

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Messages
1,526
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
I bought 2 yards and used one already. I might have to buy a pattern. I like pullups, but my design needs work.
 

UsagiOmutsu

Est. Contributor
Messages
56
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I took apart a My Little Pony Pullup to get an idea of how they were made. I took one and soaked it in water then microwaved it to get the glue to release so I could separate the panels. After all the Lycra strands were removed I found out that the body of it was rectangular not fitted like you would assume from looking at them. On my first attempt I did make leak guards just by cutting the body wide and folding the sides in 1 1/2" on each side and sewed them at the top of the front and back. I sewed the outer elastic first with the zigzag stitch that makes multiple stitches per zigzag then the inner. I didn't use anything to hold anything in place besides my fingers and it still came out functional except the fact that I made it too small. I do need to get the elastic tighter but it worked out better then I expected.
 

Fascinating

Fascinating Lady - Fantastic in Plastic
Est. Contributor
Messages
1,526
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
Sounds great, thanks for the tips.
 

UsagiOmutsu

Est. Contributor
Messages
56
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Version 2 Is still tight but I like it. I used the stretch version of the zigzag this time and used the proper stitch for each item this time and finished all the seams instead of just zigzagging everything. If I had used a spandex for the sides instead of using the stretch of the PUL I think it would be a better fit. I made the leg gathers 3" on each side and pulled the elastic tighter and further up the front and back to get a more secure fit. I also opted for some Velcro to hold the sides to the front which I didn't compensate for when cutting the sides which is why its still tight. Still a few minor problems but I think it was a success. Now to find ink that will stay colorfast on the PUL its 100% synthetic so I'm sure it will need heated before the color will take.
 

UsagiOmutsu

Est. Contributor
Messages
56
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Pad adhesive was too strong the PUL de-laminated . Back to the drawing board.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top