Cloth Diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
My stash is down to its last 5 diapers. I'm considering buying some cloth diapers to help cut back on the disposables i go through, and so i don't have to worry about being completely diaperless the next time i run out.

I don't know much about cloth diapers, but going by what i read on Baby-Pants, I'm assuming the Birdseye Cotton Contours are the best choice?

Does anyone have any advice on buying these?
I've heard others complain about the quality of the plastic pants that Baby-Pants sells, so i don't know if i should buy elsewhere or not.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
The Baby Pants diapers are good stuff. I slightly prefer Changing Times, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. The Changing Times contour diapers come with a nice booster pad, though. Fabric-wise, I strongly prefer the twill weave to Birdseye, which has a rather un-soft texture. I'm finicky about texture in ways others aren't, however. If you end up getting serious about cloth diapers, you'll probably want to try a few makes and styles to see what works and feels best to you.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I also have prefold and contour diapers from Changing Times Diaper Co. I love the twill weave and they're nice and soft.
I also use AIO's from Dependeco. In my opinion they're the best AIO's out there. For Plastic pants I have some from CTDC
that are made by Gary and Driwear from Fetware. I'm with Cottontail that you might want to try diapers from various sources.

SleepyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Hmm, i usually wear medium diapers. Since cloth tend to shrink, should i get a large?

barkd74

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I purchased my first cloth diapers here. http://www.angelfluff.com/http://www.angelfluff.com/
That was probably about 15 years ago. They are starting to show their age but still very usable. Just checking their web site they have quite the selection now.

If you want an all in one diaper, Dependico makes top quality diapers.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Hmm, i usually wear medium diapers. Since cloth tend to shrink, should i get a large?

You need to pay close attention to the sizing charts. Robert at Changing Times will give you two sizes. The size before laundering
and the finish after shrinkage. Mine shrank around 3" in length and around 1" in width. I have to hand wash mine and dry mine
outside in the sunshine. You need to wash them 3 or 4 times before you use them. This will remove the natural oils in the material
and improve the absorbency. For the twill weave they will quilt up and get softer. Also don't use any fabric softener or drier sheets
with them. This will block absorbency.

Here's something else checkout. The group Society for Cloth Appreciation. You will find a lot of useful info there.

SleepyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
does it matter what kind of plastic pants i get?
the kind with snaps seems like they might tear up too easily.

ChooChoo69

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I like cotton gauze diapers the best. You can make your own and layer them for whatever thickness and absorbency you want. very_baby.com sells gauze, birdseye, flannel and cotton twill by the yard plus pins and Snappies. Use 96-inches and fold them end to end and sew or serge the ends. Expect them to shrink 15%. They get very soft after a few washings. Don't use bleach or softener.

Last edited:

Gardener

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I went to a fabric store and purchased some diaper flannel. If you'd like to know how I made them with no sewing involved, PM me. These work great, as I know how to fold them after washing (takes less than 2 minutes) and I'm ready to go. I got my plastic pants from Adult Cloth Diaper company, Leakmasters PUL. They're the best plastic pant I've ever had, soft, noiseless, and durable. Be sure to get one with a high back to cover all of the diaper so you don't have leaks from wicking out the top.

Early on I tried the snap kind, but when the snap broke they were useless. They also can leak more easily.

JeepWrangler1

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Babykins makes a wonderful overnight diaper. I've tried a lot of different brands - Protex, Sears, and others. The Babykins Overnight diaper is by far my favorite. It used to be made for DPF. When they went under, Babykins started selling it. A lot of people have raved about it. You'll love it. You'll never want to wear disposables again.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
does it matter what kind of plastic pants i get?
the kind with snaps seems like they might tear up too easily.

Plastic pants with snaps will be okay for daytime use. For overnight use they'll have a tendency to leak out the sides.
I've got some but hardly ever use them.

SleepyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Plastic pants with snaps will be okay for daytime use. For overnight use they'll have a tendency to leak out the sides.
I've got some but hardly ever use them.

do i not have to worry about cloth diapers leaking if i'm laying on my side? :eek!:

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
do i not have to worry about cloth diapers leaking if i'm laying on my side? :eek!:

I wear cloth diapers everynight with my pull on plastic pants and never had a leak. Plus I'm a side sleeper and usually pee while on my side.

SleepyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I wear cloth diapers everynight with my pull on plastic pants and never had a leak. Plus I'm a side sleeper and usually pee while on my side.

i've been trying to get into the habit of sleeping on my back because of that problem with disposables... (don't have a bedwetting problem, but i usually only get the chance to wear at night.)
if i'd have known about that sooner, i'd have bought some a long time ago.

just ordered some from changing times...now to play the waiting game.

GoldDragonAurkarm

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
If you're just getting into them, check out adultclothdiaper.com. Not the highest-end stuff, but good stuff on the cheap. Also, go read the All About Cloth Diapers article, and not just because I wrote it. I think a quick little intro to cloth might be worthwhile.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

MetalMann

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
The good thing about cloth diapers is that you can make them as thick as you want them to be. They are excellent at wicking. My advice is to get Pull on plastic pants. Keep in mind that you need to buy a sewing tape measure and measure your self. Doing this will save you money, you can't assume by the pant size you wear. Especially with plastic pants. I'm within range to wear large size, but I can actually fit into a 3XL, it's not loose and I can wear some really thick diapers like if it was nothing.
The one problem with AIO (All In One) is that the cloth will out live the waterproof layer.

You don't have to use pins either, there's alternatives out there that make putting on prefolds a breeze. Snappi fasteners or Boingo fasteners.

Rules of cloth diapers are NEVER USE BLEACH OR FABRIC SOFTENER. Don't use any detergents with those ingredients either. They will destroy and render them useless.

xtrabulk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Twill from Changing Times! I'm inexperienced, but would get a size larger. You can always adjust the diaper to you pleasing. What's your budget?

BlueGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I found that I can get about 45-50 nights out of a standard plastic brief before it starts to break up. Standard thickness is 4 mil. I tried the 7 mil and found it lasts several times as long, over 150 nights and still in good shape.

SleepyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Finally got em today. :clap:
I almost didn't get them at all...I was in the middle of moving in with my dad when i ordered em, and i had them delivered to a UPS store near where he lives. At where I used to live, this would have been fine; but the UPS store here, refused to accept the package because it was sent through USPS.
Went to the post office, and they said it should be back at the post office by 6:00. At 6:00, I went back and they said that it's at the UPS store...then i went to the UPS store, and they said they sent it back with the guy that delivered it. So, I go back to the post office again at about 6:30(they close at 7:00), and after explaining that they were wrong and then giving them my address, phone #, tracking #, and showing them my ID, I finally got my new diapers. Thank god I got that sorted out before they shipped em back. :sweatdrop:

You don't have to use pins either, there's alternatives out there that make putting on prefolds a breeze. Snappi fasteners or Boingo fasteners.

Might try the Boingo fasteners...How well do the Snappi fasteners work on adult sized diapers?(they look a little awkward)
Also, would I need 1 or 2 Boingos per side?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.