Cloth Diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm looking to buy 3-4 pairs of re-fastenable cloth diapers.

I've looked at:

AB Universe: ABU Cloth Refastenable Diaper @ ABUniverse.com

Dependeco's cotton and flannel diapers: all in one adult baby print diapers

Babykins: Adult Cloth Diapers, Cloth Adult Diapers - Babykins & Kins Products

I have no idea which kind of re-fastenable diapers I want to buy. I am looking for maximum absorbency and comfort. I don't want them to have a plastic cover since it will crack over time and can't be put in the drier.

Lastly I need the diaper to be able to fit under my jeans just as my Bambino's do. The Bambino's bulge a little but it's not too obvious.

I am completely lost and I have searched on Adisc to find answers. Please help me if you can.

Thanks

LittlePony

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
I don't use AIOs myself, but I recommend steering clear of the ABU AIO because of its PVC exterior. A critical feature of any cloth diaper, in my opinion, is its ability to withstand the dryer. With heat. Otherwise, it'll just take way too long to dry, and so you won't get nearly as much use out of it. From the ABU site: "Do not apply heat to PVC plastic. Machine wash cold. Non-chlorine bleach when needed. Hang dry or no heat dry cycle."

So, yeah... AVOID.

The Dependeco diapers have a good reputation around here. They have a PUL exterior and can go right in the dryer. With heat. :) Bear in mind that AIOs do, in general, have a shorter lifespan than separates because the shell does deteriorate much more rapidly than the cloth portion. Still, if you're looking for the closest thing to a disposable diaper experience, this is your ticket.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I don't use AIOs myself, but I recommend steering clear of the ABU AIO because of its PVC exterior. A critical feature of any cloth diaper, in my opinion, is its ability to withstand the dryer. With heat. Otherwise, it'll just take way too long to dry, and so you won't get nearly as much use out of it. From the ABU site: "Do not apply heat to PVC plastic. Machine wash cold. Non-chlorine bleach when needed. Hang dry or no heat dry cycle."

So, yeah... AVOID.

The Dependeco diapers have a good reputation around here. They have a PUL exterior and can go right in the dryer. With heat. :) Bear in mind that AIOs do, in general, have a shorter lifespan than separates because the shell does deteriorate much more rapidly than the cloth portion. Still, if you're looking for the closest thing to a disposable diaper experience, this is your ticket.

I was thinking about the ABU all cloth diaper with velcro, no PVC or any other type of plastic.

Do you think that the Dependeco PUL exterior diaper will still have a short life (the outer shell)?
Dependeco has cotton and flannel diapers, I prefer the designs on the flannel diapers. But is flannel any good? I've heard it's not any good.

I'm so overwhelmed right now. I really want the most absorbent cloth diaper possible.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
Do you think that the Dependeco PUL exterior diaper will still have a short life (the outer shell)?
Dependeco has cotton and flannel diapers, I prefer the designs on the flannel diapers. But is flannel any good? I've heard it's not any good.

Short? No, they'll give you plenty of good use. But shorter than separates? Yes. Again, it's just a simple fact that the diaper portion lasts longer than the cover. Or the Velcro. PUL-covered AIOs are very popular for babies, and the lifespans of those diapers are generally considered to be adequate. Having several diapers and rotating them helps, too.

I hesitate to comment on the flannel/non-flannel Dependeco differences. I'll let somebody with Dependeco experience chime in on that. I'm not a huge flannel fan myself (speaking of flannel prefolds, not AIOs), but that's mostly due to my being extraordinarily picky about fabric textures. Lots of people use flannel diapers and seem to like them. Just not me.

BTW, if you get the all-cloth ABU diaper, you'll need a separate cover. Just makin' sure! :)

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
The cotton or flannel refers only to the printed cover over the PUL liner. The inner material is all the same soft cottony material that does the absorbing.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
The cotton or flannel refers only to the printed cover over the PUL liner. The inner material is all the same soft cottony material that does the absorbing.

Have you tried any dependeco diapers? How do you like them? How absorbent are they?

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Have you tried any dependeco diapers? How do you like them? How absorbent are they?

I've been wearing them everynight for a year and a half. I have ten of them and like them
real well. They're my only overnight diaper. I've wet them five times with no leaks. But the
outer cover does get damp. I also wear a stuffer with them. I also recommend wearing plastic
pants with them until you find out what you can do as far absorbency goes. With cloth you
have to remember the whole diaper absorbs. That's one reason there great for side sleepers.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've been wearing them everynight for a year and a half. I have ten of them and like them
real well. They're my only overnight diaper. I've wet them five times with no leaks. But the
outer cover does get damp. I also wear a stuffer with them. I also recommend wearing plastic
pants with them until you find out what you can do as far absorbency goes. With cloth you
have to remember the whole diaper absorbs. That's one reason there great for side sleepers.

I thought that those diapers had a waterproof cover on them. :(

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I like gauze cloth diapers and pull-on plastic pants. The diapers can be washed in the washer with hot water and put in the dryer. Takes about 30 minutes to dry a load of 24 diapers. I also wash the plastic pants separately in the washer and put them in the dryer on low for 15 minutes with 2 or 3 towels. They come out fine also. I wear gauze baby diapers, 2 layers in the daytime and 4 layers at night.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover

You said you can wet them 5 times. Like 5 little wettings or medium or big? I tend to wet in large spurts/ flood.

How bulky are they? I'm hoping they'll be about as bulky as bambinos.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
You said you can wet them 5 times. Like 5 little wettings or medium or big? I tend to wet in large spurts/ flood.

How bulky are they? I'm hoping they'll be about as bulky as bambinos.

With my IC I don't have a lot of volume at one time. But I average 12 to 15 times a day that I wet. The diaper by itself is between 3/8" to 1/2"
thick without the 4 ply stuffer.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
I'm hoping they'll be about as bulky as bambinos.

You can make them as thick as you want with cloth booster pads. That's really the best way to achieve thickness with cloth diapers. If the diapers are super thick by themselves, then they'll be difficult to get clean (think of how many layers the detergent will need to penetrate) and will take forever to dry (think of how many layers the moisture will have to escape through). Dependeco sells booster pads, although they're a tad expensive. A popular (and cheap! -- 1/3 the price) alternative to purpose-made booster pads is to just use cloth baby prefolds. I use these, in the XL/toddler size, of course.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
You can make them as thick as you want with cloth booster pads. That's really the best way to achieve thickness with cloth diapers. If the diapers are super thick by themselves, then they'll be difficult to get clean (think of how many layers the detergent will need to penetrate) and will take forever to dry (think of how many layers the moisture will have to escape through). Dependeco sells booster pads, although they're a tad expensive. A popular (and cheap! -- 1/3 the price) alternative to purpose-made booster pads is to just use cloth baby prefolds. I use these, in the XL/toddler size, of course.

How do the Dependeco booster pads work? Do their diapers have a spot you open and put them in or do they just go in the right spot? I've never used booster pads, so pardon me.

Especially important, how do you keep the booster pads from moving around in the diaper?

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
How do the Dependeco booster pads work? Do their diapers have a spot you open and put them in or do they just go in the right spot? I've never used booster pads, so pardon me.

Especially important, how do you keep the booster pads from moving around in the diaper?

Some diapers have a pocket for inserts. Like these -- "pocket diapers". Most of the time, though, you just sit the booster pad in the diaper and, provided the diaper is snug, the booster stays in place by friction. I've never been extremely active while wearing diapers, so I suppose the boosters might slip down and become a bit of a wad in that case. The purpose-made boosters might hold their shape a little better in that situation, but I honestly don't know.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent

The booster pad is roughly the same size as the sewn in soaker in the diaper. You just lay it over the soaker. I find that after the first wetting the booster kind of
forms a cup around your junk and stays put after it's wet. The pee then wicks well into the diaper. It does help you feel drier that way.

That's also the advantage of the Velcro tapes you can readjust them to keep the diaper tight. After I put mine on and readjust the
tapes the diaper stays put all night.

MetalMann

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Dependeco also has pocket diapers, you'd have to check out her website and see the different ones that she has.

Also, pre-fold diapers work very well and can be layered as thick as you need and just have plastic pants over them. I wear my pre-folds with toddler pre-folds as stuffers. With Snappi fasteners, changing is a breeze.

PUL is a lot tougher than PVC and vinyl. They can withstand the temperatures of drying.

Pre-soaking cloth diapers with vinegar can help keep it free of odor and bacteria, NEVER use bleach or fabric softeners.

Dan09

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I recently bought two of the dependeco AIO's (even though I have NO experience in cloth at all, I was raised in disposable).

So far though, I've really been impressed though. I haven't even needed the additional booster that I bought with them, and the diapers themselves seem to get softer with every washing.

Above all though, I really like the four Velcro faster design. It's sturdy as can be and feels really really secure.

EDIT - I haven't needed plastic pants over the AIO's I bought, as I have yet to notice any sort of dampness on the outside at all. But, to be fair I'm limited to wear diapers for only a few hours while at home, due to the living situation with my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.