Cloth diapers for beginners

GamerBro

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I’m interested in trying out cloth diapers, but I have only ever used disposables. I mostly wear diapers to bed and I’m a side sleeper, so I need something that can handle night wetting without leaking too much (though I know leaks can happen no matter what).

With how pricey cloth diapers can be I am curious if anyone has any recommendations before I buy something that might not be good quality.

I think I’m more interested in a diaper/diaper cover combo as opposed to an all-in-one diaper for ease of cleanup as well as being able to use the cover over disposables.

I’m currently looking at the EcoAble day and night set as it comes with a diaper cover and a cloth diaper with an insert.

Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: Jr2012

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
EcoAble is a fine product; you might also look at the Rearz covers and consider their X-Small adult prefold for an insert.

AIOs are a good idea, but they seldom work well in real life. Back in the 1990s, a company called 'Classic' marketed a thin AIO and it was wonderful; I bought more than a dozen. Those are long gone, and nothing I've tried since then has measured up. I have about a dozen of the Snap-EZ AIOs for the simple reason that I can usually wear them beneath clothing. However, Snap-EZ's sizing is less than exact, and leaks are always a danger because of the way their products fit.

The problem is not so much with the cover as it is with the insert. The bamboo inserts marketed for babies and toddlers won't hold what an adult can dish out, and a thick-enough adult diaper won't fit comfortably in a cover. Everything's a bit of a compromise, as you have probably already discovered.

If you're not wanting to wrestle with prefold adult diapers, pins and plastic pants, a diaper cover or pocket diaper and insert would seem to be the way to go.

Reactions: TigerDL, GatoChihuahua, Cottontail and 1 other person

GamerBro

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Yeah, I think I want to avoid prefolds for now. I have no experience with them and don’t trust my folding/pinning skills. Maybe I’ll try them in the future, but I’d rather stay clear of them for now.

RearzJacob

Rep for Rearz.ca & PacifierAddict.com
Company Rep
Role
  1. Adult Baby
GamerBro said:
I’m interested in trying out cloth diapers, but I have only ever used disposables. I mostly wear diapers to bed and I’m a side sleeper, so I need something that can handle night wetting without leaking too much (though I know leaks can happen no matter what).

With how pricey cloth diapers can be I am curious if anyone has any recommendations before I buy something that might not be good quality.

I think I’m more interested in a diaper/diaper cover combo as opposed to an all-in-one diaper for ease of cleanup as well as being able to use the cover over disposables.

I’m currently looking at the EcoAble day and night set as it comes with a diaper cover and a cloth diaper with an insert.

Any help is appreciated!
Do you intend to wet in these a lot? As the ones with inserts are not super absorbent. @sbmccue advised using the XS prefold as an insert instead as they have much higher capacity ratings. We do stock our omutsu cloth diapers which are my go-to as I am also a side sleeper they provide all over protection. The all-in-ones only have the absorbent pad in the center so I often leak.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua and sbmccue

OldTerry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Night I wear 48 inch nappies cloth booster as well and larger than normal size plastic pants to envelop the nappy

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
GamerBro said:
Yeah, I think I want to avoid prefolds for now. I have no experience with them and don’t trust my folding/pinning skills. Maybe I’ll try them in the future, but I’d rather stay clear of them for now.
TBH I think for what you describe that you want getting a simple terry flat and learning to fold it would be best.

It really isn't hard to learn a couple of different folds and they can be done quite quickly, though obviously not as fast as an AIO or disposable but they have great coverage and absorbency can be folded in diferent ways depending on how you want it to fit and feel, they are the cheapest option because they are just a square of fabric with no special design or sewing needed so if you accidently forget your cleaning routine or mistreat them they are cheaper to replace. They are easily boosted for more absorbency and wash/dry fairly quickly.

You don't actually need pins you can get Snappi's which work well and are easy to put on

I personally don't like AIO's they take longer to dry and need more careful washing due to the waterproofing and are often more expensive, they fit can also be a little weird with some. An AI2 or Diaper/cover combo is best you can also get cute/fancy covers if you enjoy the AB side.

I quite like and have recommended Dotty Diaper Co. cloth diapers in the past, they are definitely not the best available but are fairly cheap and do the job well enough, they are also good for cloth beginners as they go on much like a disposable with velcro tabs, they hold a fair bit but will need boosters for heavy wetting and they wash and dry quick. They do need a waterproof cover (pants, wrap whatever your preference) and are a good firt step in cloth.

Reactions: Cottontail and GamerBro

GamerBro

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
RearzJacob said:
Do you intend to wet in these a lot? As the ones with inserts are not super absorbent. @sbmccue advised using the XS prefold as an insert instead as they have much higher capacity ratings. We do stock our omutsu cloth diapers which are my go-to as I am also a side sleeper they provide all over protection. The all-in-ones only have the absorbent pad in the center so I often leak.
I’m not a super heavy wetter at night but that might change if I have more absorbent diapers and feel comfortable wetting more. I’m also not one to really flood my diapers and just dribble in small amounts whenever I feel the need to go. I’ve looked at the omutsu cloth diapers but wasn’t sure if I wanted to go that big yet.

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
GamerBro said:
I’ve looked at the omutsu cloth diapers but wasn’t sure if I wanted to go that big yet.
I have a half-dozen of the white Omutsu, and you're right ... they're big. I sometimes feel like Baby Huey! But they're also very absorbent and quite comfortable. The Velcro® tends to wear rather quickly, so I keep replacing mine. Now and then, Rearz has them on sale; those I just bought were less than $20 each.

Reactions: GamerBro

GamerBro

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
sbmccue said:
I have a half-dozen of the white Omutsu, and you're right ... they're big. I sometimes feel like Baby Huey! But they're also very absorbent and quite comfortable. The Velcro® tends to wear rather quickly, so I keep replacing mine. Now and then, Rearz has them on sale; those I just bought were less than $20 each.
What diaper covers do you use for the Omutsu? Do you need to go to a larger size since they’re so big?

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Belarin said:
I quite like and have recommended Dotty Diaper Co. cloth diapers in the past, they are definitely not the best available but are fairly cheap and do the job well enough, they are also good for cloth beginners as they go on much like a disposable with velcro tabs, they hold a fair bit but will need boosters for heavy wetting and they wash and dry quick. They do need a waterproof cover (pants, wrap whatever your preference) and are a good firt step in cloth.
I may revisit these at some point. The ones I got had some defective stitching, and I knew nothing of sewing at the time. I did like the design, though. They were comfortable, reasonably absorbent, and surprisingly fast-drying.

GamerBro said:
I think you've gotten some good alternative suggestions above, but I'll reply to this part anyway: There are a number of velcro- and snap-closure diaper covers available that make prefolds (or pretty much any other padding) usable without pins or other fasteners. I've done a lot of pinning over the years, and I do love a pinned cloth diaper, but the convenience of going pinless is undeniable. I recently shared my experience with the Rearz wraps. I'd suggest keeping them (or something similar) in mind as a possible daytime solution in case you decide to wear more often.

Last edited:

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Cottontail said:
I may revisit these at some point. The ones I got had some defective stitching, and I knew nothing of sewing at the time. I did like the design, though. They were comfortable, reasonably absorbent, and surprisingly fast-drying.
Ive had one or 2 with iffy stitching so that still happens, which is whu i say they are not the best option available but i still think they are a good starting point, for the price compared with some similar products they are not too bad.

Reactions: Cottontail

OldTerry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I always use modified kite fold and snappis rather than pins

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
OldTerry said:
I always use modified kite fold and snappis rather than pins
I tend to use either an Origami or a modified version of the maria fold.

The pickman fold is awesome if you have a slimmer waist, it is very adjustable but if you need more width for the wings to come around you will sacrifice pad width so it's better for a slimmer person. it uses the maximum amount of towel in the crotch with thinner (only 2 layer) wings, is quite adjustable for rise and easily accommodates boosters. It is quite a trim fit without the need to jelly roll the legs and has almost no little pockets or folds in the back for poop to get into (making cleaning easier), it also folds up compact and nice and tight for carrying spares.

Reactions: OldTerry

rio20090

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Flannel absorbs slowly, but holds a lot.

Birdseye absorbs more quickly, and holds quite a bit.

Gauze absorbs very quickly.

I use two or three gauze or birdseye baby diapers as soakers. I fold the two sides to just meet in the middle. I put them in the middle of a four-layer flannel diaper adn fold that diaper so that the two sides just meet iin the middle. I flare out the bak, but leave the front folded. I lay down on the diaper, I tuck my penis in the folds of the gauze/birdweye soaker, pull up the back wings and fasten at the waist and at the thighs.

A contour diaper is more comfortable (less bulk in the crotch) as the outer diaper than a flat or prefold. Unfortunately, cotours are expensive. I have a couple of pair, but generally just getting yards of heavy flannel at a local sewing store and cut it to size.Also, the contour diapers I've gotten from the intenet all have soaker panels sewn in, and I prefer to put in my own soakers rather than having a soaker panel sewn into the diaper.

If you make your own diaper, cut it a lot bigger (in both dimensions) than you think. The width should be at least a couple of inches more than your waist, so that the wings touch when you pull them up to fasten them. The length has to be about a quarter to half again longer than the distance from waist to waist through the crotch.

Until I was in my 20s, cloth diapers were the only diapers adequate to hold my bedwetting. I generally use disposable diapers now, but I still use cloth when I'm having a bout of unusually heavy wetting (two or three times a year).

You don't need pins if you get contour diapers with velcro. Otherwise, I prefer snappis (two to a diaper) to pins. Pins can be hard to jab through multiple layers of heavy flannel.

Wash all the diapers in hot water several times before using them the first time. That greatly improves the absorbency.

I wear a pull-on plastic pant over cloth diapers.

If you wet more than one night a week, you need a wet bag to hold the wet diapers.

toddler

I love wearing cloth nappies and plastic pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
GamerBro said:

Any help is appreciat
GamerBro said:

Any help is appreciated!
I use cloth nappies and plastic pants I have a dislike towards disposables is it not good for the environment?. The only time I’ll use disposables is when I go out for the day or a long trip. I love wearing my Cloth nappies and Plastic pants because they remind me of my childhood.

toddler

I love wearing cloth nappies and plastic pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
GamerBro said:

Any help is appreciated!
I use cloth nappies and plastic pants I have a dislike towards disposables is it not good for the environment?. The only time I’ll use disposables is when I go out for the day or a long trip. I love wearing my Cloth nappies and Plastic pants because they remind me of my childhood.

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
toddler said:
So you said.

WarmAndSquishy

Mama’s most favorite boy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
I’m no expert on this like some of the fellas who have commented here, but I’ll share my experience of using Rearz Omutsu cloth diapers exclusively for 4 months (I couldn’t do disposables where I lived at the time).

They were able to usually handle 2 floods. You absolutely need plastic pants and a changing pad. I never leaked once but the fabric becomes saturated. It’s all well contained in the plastic pants but once the plastic comes off everything gets wet. So you need to be on a changing pad or thick towel when you remove the plastic pants.

The Velcro is extremely weak, but that’s easily fixed with safety pins. Don’t bother buying the ones they sell in their site, large safety pins from Walmart or wherever do just fine and you get a lot more for less.

Depending on how hot your dryer can go it usually took an hour and a half in a good dryer and 2 hours in a dryer that ran lower heat. When the diaper first comes out of the dryer it might seem dry but after 10ish minutes the wetness in the core will saturate back to the top. So just be cautious of that.

Okay so after I’ve said all that why do I recommend this cloth diaper?
1, I like that it’s all in one. I don’t have to mess with pads or anything, I just throw the whole thing in the wash.

2, they’re very comfortable and are the most absorbent cloth diaper on the market (that I know of and so rearz claims) which is exactly what you want if you’re a bed wetter who’s needing this.
187AB818-764A-4D1F-97DE-0304500381C0.jpeg
7C3BA6DC-2C7B-449E-9094-37692F9D6AD3.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MetalDan86 and toddler

WarmAndSquishy

Mama’s most favorite boy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
GamerBro said:
What diaper covers do you use for the Omutsu? Do you need to go to a larger size since they’re so big?
They have a specific one made just for it

RearzJacob

Rep for Rearz.ca & PacifierAddict.com
Company Rep
Role
  1. Adult Baby
GamerBro said:
I’m not a super heavy wetter at night but that might change if I have more absorbent diapers and feel comfortable wetting more. I’m also not one to really flood my diapers and just dribble in small amounts whenever I feel the need to go. I’ve looked at the omutsu cloth diapers but wasn’t sure if I wanted to go that big yet.
They are very easy to use and feel very soft when wearing so I would recommend them.

Reactions: GamerBro and OldTerry