Cloth Diaper & Standing Leak Guards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sallybrown

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Can anybody point me in the direction of a cloth washable diaper that features standing leak guards?

EmilyL

#cuteandadorable Little
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Cloth diapers don't feature such a thing. Make sure you're tucking the cover in around the legs so the pee doesn't fly out. Also keep in mind cloths are worse when standing than sitting or laying when it comes to leaking.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I've never heard of standing leak guards with cloth diapers. To prevent leaks double or triple up the cloth layers.
Also use plastic pants. For AIO's I use a booster pad with my overnight AIO and no leaks.

M

Maxx

Assuming you're using plastic pants and have the diaper pinned up properly, it's not going to leak while standing unless you go WAY over capacity.

Might happen with an AIO or daytime weight diaper. Can't imagine it with a nighttime weight.

Sallybrown

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I'm not concerned about leakage or weather I'm standing or not. "Standing Leak Guards" is a feature found on diapers. For those that don't know it's a elastic pice of material that runs along both sides of the crotch in a diaper. Depends fitted briefs have always had this feature while most Attends do not. Like I said I'm not one bit concerned about leakage, I just would like to know if there is a cloth diaper with that option. Looks like I might need to learn how to sew.

foxkits

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Not at this time there are diaper covers with dubble gussets in legs Japanese styles ones when you do a pre fold right it makes a pocket check out you tube under diaper

whiskeybravo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Does the elastic on the edges of the dependeco not count? Or do these "leak guards" have to be closer to the center?

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
To be clear, leak guards are waterproof. :) There absolutely are cloth diapers (for babies, at least) with double gussets, but that's not the same thing. On disposables, the leak guards contain both pee and poop. On cloth diapers, the inner gusset is all about poop. It's cloth. It can't hold back pee.

There's nothing to stop you from sewing a diaper where the waterproof shell is folded over into the interior of the diaper and formed into leak guards, but my guess is that this gathered waterproof material would be both uncomfortable against your bottom, and would also wear out rapidly. Do you really want a double wad of PUL in the folds of your crotch? I doubt it.

By the way, the "standing" in "standing leak guards" has nothing to do with the wearer standing. The leak guards themselves are what is standing -- up from the diaper. Otherwise, one might reasonably wonder why diapers for preemies and newborns include them.

Last edited:

bob111

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
On top of that, the leak gards are to channel urine while it's being absorbed by the SAP.
In a cloth diaper, you don't need that, as urine is instantly absorbed and distributed trough the cloth.

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

I doubt the op wants pul or plastic leak guards on cloth...

I'm assuming the feel of them is what may be wanted...

So sewing some elastic/fabric in the appropriate place would be needed...

I have cloth...but, I usually use disposables more cuz they fit and feel better to me...

Then again...I could be totally wrong on all accounts...

bob111

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Modern pocket diapers fit just like cloth diapers. They are just a bit thicker, depending on how you stuff them.

I have 2 pocket diapers from SnapEZ. They are well made. I just wish I bought them one size bigger, so I could stuff them a bit more.
They don't need leak guard. The leg elastic are enough. But they don't work well when sitting.

D

Deleted member 5880

To be clear, leak guards are waterproof. :) There absolutely are cloth diapers (for babies, at least) with double gussets, but that's not the same thing. On disposables, the leak guards contain both pee and poop. On cloth diapers, the inner gusset is all about poop. It's cloth. It can't hold back pee.

There's nothing to stop you from sewing a diaper where the waterproof shell is folded over into the interior of the diaper and formed into leak guards, but my guess is that this gathered waterproof material would be both uncomfortable against your bottom, and would also wear out rapidly. Do you really want a double wad of PUL in the folds of your crotch? I doubt it.

By the way, the "standing" in "standing leak guards" has nothing to do with the wearer standing. The leak guards themselves are what is standing -- up from the diaper. Otherwise, one might reasonably wonder why diapers for preemies and newborns include them.

I've made exactly these kinds of diapers. My ADISC Gallery has many examples; they are all pocket diapers. My most recent diaper is in the spoiler below.
ClothStandingGussets.jpg

EDIT: links have been *hopefully* fixed. Let me know if there are still issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
I've made exactly these kinds of diapers. My ADISC Gallery has many examples; they are all pocket diapers. My most recent diaper is in the spoiler below.
kif-albums-public-photos-picture20071-cloth-standing-gussets.jpg

D'oh. Your link doesn't work and your spoiler is empty. I seem to recall that the old ADISC Gallery images were locked down -- made readable only by the owners of the images or something like that. Would love to see what you made, though!

D

Deleted member 5880

D'oh. Your link doesn't work and your spoiler is empty. I seem to recall that the old ADISC Gallery images were locked down -- made readable only by the owners of the images or something like that. Would love to see what you made, though!

Hmm...thanks for letting me know! It all looked fine on my end...

Anyway, I've edited my previous post. The image in spoilers should *theoretically* be visible, since I just pulled it straight from my PC (I was pulling from my ADISC gallery URL previously). I think I found the article you were talking about...I'll get that fixed.

EDIT: Should be fixed, now.

VerticalDrop

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Ya Ive also looked for these... and havent found any. What I did find was an interesting youtube tutorial on how to make baby diapers with a snap in liner, which featured elastic running along all the edges of the liner, forming a raised leak guard on the sides as well as front and back. When I get around to making one Ill make sure to post a tutorial.

For me the leak guards are just an aesthetic thing.

D

Deleted member 5880

....featured elastic running along all the edges of the liner, forming a raised leak guard on the sides as well as front and back...

Were you are referring to these?

Glow-Bug-Cloth-Diaper-inside(pp_w576_h411_m1346360518_a75_pBL).jpg

Edit: These are baby-sized; I don't know if there are adult versions of these...and speaking from a production perspective, this design would be a heck of a lot easier to make than my designs...

Last edited by a moderator:

VerticalDrop

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Yep, they looked just like that, accept the front and back waistband didnt come in quite as much. Thanks for posting that, I have trouble sharing links when Im posting with my phone. I have a few projects Id like to try with my gf's sewing machine, some fancy cloth diapers being one of them. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.