Cloth diaper questions

KechoDrips

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm looking into switching to cloth diapers while I am at home in the evening and potentially at night. The biggest concern that I have however is trying to figure out how much a cloth diaper will hold as I really want to avoid leaking at night.

Does anyone have experience switching between disposables and cloth? How well does a prefold, nighttime weight diaper compare in absorbency to something like an Abena M4? Will I need to wear 1 or 2? Do you have any information on cloth diaper inserts and how well they extend the absorbency of the diaper?

I went through and did some cost savings calculations and they look really appealing but without knowing the absorbency it is really hard to know whether or not to hop into it.

Current evening cost - $2/day - $730/year
Current night cost - $2.65/day - $974.5/year
Cloth evening investment - $200, if they last 3 years - $67/year
Cloth night investment - $250, if they last 3 years - $84/year
Cloth washing cost - 2 per week - $161/year
Cloth washing cost - 3 per week - $241/year

With 2 washes per week
Just in the evening = 730-(67+161) = $502/year savings
Evening and night = (730+974.5)-(67+84+161) = $1392.5/year savings
With 3 washes per week
Just in the evening = 502-80 = 422/year savings
Evening and night = 1392.5-80 = 1312.5/year savings

Anyone that uses cloth diapers, is there a place you recommend getting them from? All my calculations were based off of Adultclothdiaper.com but I am not sure if that is the best site to get them from.

Also let me know if my calculations seem way off.

Reactions: Jr2012, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 1 other person
You are on the right track.

Adultclothdiaper.com

Great plastic pants as well.

At night, we double diaper with plastic pants. No leaks

Reactions: maarten, Zeke, Edgewater and 2 others
I don't have a lot of experience with cloth but I have tried for a few ones during playing golf. I was using ecoable (pocked diaper) along with a cloth insert and a booster. They really worked. I even tried playing tennis with my girlfriend. To be honest, you just have to wear more inserts to stop leaking. I tried using these for sleeping. I used 2 bamboo inserts and and an extra large (27" x 10" contour) Northshore Eternadry booster. I have BM accidents (mostly for sleeping) and with these contour booster's I won't mess the stool on a cloth diaper. I've only used a few and I haven't figured out if it's worth (laundry issue for my cleaning lady). Usually I would wear Confidry 24/7 (or an Abena) and for sleep, the same Eternadry. The boosters have plenty of absorbent. I've only used a few during the day and for sleeping. I've always been IC and when I was a kid, my mom tried cloth diapers with plastic pants. I kind of liked the comfort but I didn't like all the thickness. Eventually my mom decided to go back for disposables (she didn't like
all the extra laundry (BM's on cloth). I don't think I would like regular cloth diapers (pins and plastic pants). Too much bulk and thickness). But I liked the pocket diaper with the extra boosters and multiple inserts. Comfy and not too thick.

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
KechoDrips said:
I'm looking into switching to cloth diapers while I am at home in the evening and potentially at night. The biggest concern that I have however is trying to figure out how much a cloth diaper will hold as I really want to avoid leaking at night.

Does anyone have experience switching between disposables and cloth? How well does a prefold, nighttime weight diaper compare in absorbency to something like an Abena M4? Will I need to wear 1 or 2? Do you have any information on cloth diaper inserts and how well they extend the absorbency of the diaper?

I went through and did some cost savings calculations and they look really appealing but without knowing the absorbency it is really hard to know whether or not to hop into it.

With 2 washes per week
With 3 washes per week

Anyone that uses cloth diapers, is there a place you recommend getting them from? All my calculations were based off of Adultclothdiaper.com but I am not sure if that is the best site to get them from.

i use Ecoables every night. I have diabetes insipidus so I produce at least 40-50 ounces a night. I use their fitted diaper with a booster and 1 bamboo prefold under the booster in the fitted diaper. I wear a pocket diaper without a booster as a cover. Tuck in the leak guards! I move around a lot when I sleep and have not had 1 leak in two months! They are a higher cut so they are more comfortable than traditional diaper covers. I only go through disposables when traveling out of town or when occasions dictate clothing choices that are more discreet. No more 100lb trash cans up the driveway. You should give them a try, if your incontinence is not going away it is a great way to manage it. Add boosters if you need more absorbency, they are also very comfortable.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and newt
rothpirate said:
No more 100lb trash cans up the driveway.
But taking my trash cans to the curb twice a week is all the exercise I need! Like hauling a boulder on wheels. It’s my Sisyphean task

Reactions: CLPP, Edgewater and Diprs2
I have been wearing cloth prefolds at night for over 3 decades! A night time prefold from Adult Cloth Diaper, Babykins, or Rearz with one or two large cloth boosters will easily perform better than a disposable, especially for side sleepers. Gary vinyl pants sold by ACD and other companies have always fit me well and have plenty of room for thick diapers. Make sure you measure your waist and thighs (around the legs) carefully and never buy more than one cloth diaper or one overpant until you dial in what fits you best. Never had any luck with pocket diapers fitting me very well, including Ecoables, and I only have a 31-32 inch waist. And they don’t absorb as much as a prefold.

Reactions: Edgewater, chuck and Diprs2
I wear XL prefold with a cloth diaper booster which are pretty cheap and sometimes you can find them at a thrift store and then I use a very cheap pull-up over that,also cheaper if you can find them at a thrift store, then a plastic or “rubber” pant over all if it . Keep the bed dry even on the heaviest nights and part of the day too if you like. Lots of bulk if you like that too.

Reactions: Edgewater, dprlvr and Diprs2
KechoDrips said:

With 2 washes per week
With 3 washes per week

using cloth diapers is like finding the disposable diaper that works best for you a tail and error process. there are various types of cloth diapers on the market ranging in price. they can be a great over night diaper because you can layer as need and i you are a side sleeper. there are old school pin style, velcro fasten / snaps, pocket diapers, and pull on. all you will need to wear plastic pants over top to help prevent leaks even those that are-all-in one style. you have to judge your level of wetting and comfort because cloth will be bulky. a single prefold pin on during the day with a flat diaper square inside works very good i am a heavy wetter. Changing Times Diaper Company has very good prefold. If you use pin on you want to go with an adult size diaper pin. Babykin has good cloth diapers as well. Dependeco great velcro fasten all-in-one diapers. Companies like Rearz has the pocket diaper that are either snap or velcro you slide in the soakers for your need. there is a saving in the long run as long as you do not mind the laundry. work with them at home you see how you feel. get a sample at first before making the heavy investment. when washing do not use fabric softener it effects the absorbency of the diaper fabric. good luck

For night time I don't have issues other than I cannot fall a sleep without wearing a diaper, anything that makes me feel secure enough will work (so not to thin, even though I don't leak at night).
During the day I have a lot of small pees(oab) around 20-150ml, so I don't really have experience flooding them.

Threaded armor protective brief: (harder to get in the EU and expensive but was worth it for me)
During the day I like my threaded armors the most right now, where I fit in to three of their sizes while my measurements would be at the top of the medium range. I like the smalls for snug fitment and due to their size, they are not really noticeable under clothing. Note that I use the inserts they give plus an blumchen prefold size L to solve a minor bit of the press out issues the microfibre inserts have (so I put the extra insert on top of the prefold and then keep the prefold in the middle of the bunch while inserting it in the hero insert) This will get me around the rated ML for the products give or take.
Considering I am on the top of the size M of the threaded armors, they do fit best and considering the waistband I would even say I am right in the middle of that size instead of on the end of it. They are the best but just that minor bit bigger and less easy to hide under clothes, so when doing stuff around the house for shorter periods of time I like the size Small.
Size L is a little bit different, I bought them at the same time with one size medium to try which is best and at first had some minor issues with getting the right inserts combination and leaked quite soon on the mediums, so I am not using the size large that often anymore, however they do have a bit more absorption.

My measurements are based up seated positions (during or very soon after peeing/leaking) so just real life usage
size S combo around maximum 400-500ML before it leaks (I noticed I typically change these at 300-350ML due too the wetness feeling)
size M combo around maximum 400-500ML before it leaks (I typically change these at 400ML)
size L combo around maximum 500-600ML before it leaks (sometimes even reached the 700ML)

Cloth is very bulky when adding up untill a good premium diapers absorption is reached, so with cloth it should rather be change quickly and keep the thickness limited in daytime. However I do not produce a lot of u, so for me these setups can get me around 4-8 hours, so typically I change after waking up, then near lunch, then near diner, then before sleep and some times can skip the lunch change. My skin can handle it, but cloth does not have any odor reduction on board and mostly I produce a little bit concentrated urine, so after 4-6 hours the ammonia buildup is becoming noticeable. I do recognize that not everybody's skin would get away with it

In the post I linked above this text, I have mentioned the other ones I like, where the blumchen 2 in 1 might be a good night time diaper with the 2 in 1 insert + extra blumchen stay dry inserts (fits like 2 of them + the 2 in 1 insert) But for them I like the bulk, but thats just to visible under clothes so I never reached full potential in those.
And my personal favorite for the night is the Poppolini with only the 2 in 1 insert from blumchen inside the poppolini snap in insert, that makes it just feel thick enough like a premium diaper however this is not max capacity for actual night time loss I guess, the 2 in 1 insert can get up to 300-350ml when maxed out is my guess and the poppolini insert itself max 150-200ML, but it is enough for me.
I also mentioned the seneo there, I use their size S wrap (I am right on the end of their S), then size S and size M snap in inserts (snap the size M insert in to place) and whatever insert I feel like for more absorption. But the threaded armor is just that more comfortable it mostly wins when I need to pick something out the closet.

Sorry for this long story about most of the types I own.
I could also share a bit about the blumchen pocket style(velcro) and the Kijani SIO snap on pants, but they are not really in a suitable size that fits my body. I have a rearz adult prefold, they are great, but need proper plastic pants around them and that just gets more sweaty than the others I already have so for me that didn't match.

Oh and I do have two all in ones (lounge briefs) from threaded armor, but they are the old style without the leak guards, I had to put extra repellent on the fleece leg openings for them to even work, but the new ones with the leak guards are not for sale yet in europe so I haven't tried them, since i haven't been able to get them yet. They are very comfortable though, even more so than the protective briefs, but this old version just can't reach the protective briefs

Haven't had a lot of success with AIO like TA or Eco during the day either it was the fit or not enough layers. I tended to leak through the lower leg openings. Conclusion (cloth in general) for me are too bulky to be socially practical. I think if you are leaking small amounts throughout the day, cloth and AIO might work out. If you have sudden voids, maybe not so much. I have sudden voids of no more than 50-200 ml and an occasional 400+ ml.

Botox has helped a lot if you haven't tried it. It gives you a break from diapers though I have to cath. I've been tempted to restart trying cloth with the higher costs of disposables these days. Just need to find the balance between shorts and the bulk.

Nighttime use, they were good and was both comfortable for summers but, not so because the bulk bothered my back.

I use terry towel nappies at night at home with 2 good quality hand towels as stuffers and they work good to the point I can easily get 12 hours out of them over night as they have 360deg coverage
Just to add I was a 70’s baby so brought up in these type of nappies
Cost of one of these nappies is about same as high end pack of AB nappies but if washed and used right could last you years
Also I only need 4to 8 pins for how ever many nappies I need and about 10 pairs of PUL pants
Wash them on a cycle with a pre wash and no softener also extra rinse and line dry at this time of year

Reactions: Diprs2, Brumas94 and Edgewater
Have worn for 45 years, starting in cloth diapers and plastic pants. Over the years I have tried near everything that had come along. About 10 years ago, I had stopped as what is coming to the market is a variation of the past with modern methods of holding them in place.

Early-on, I had found that what helped me most is keeping a Journey as to my U-IC pattern and release volume, plus comments on intake. That provides an excellent understand of what one's needs are and when. My version of U-IC allows for fairly precise requirements. The only variation I have is over-night as that can vary widely.

With the increasing cost of disposable diapers, which will only continue to increase under current restrictions and supply sources of oil. That reality got me to change at least half of the requirements back to Cloth Diapers. I am 180 percent from near everyone, as my variation occurs at night. As a result, I can with easy define by layers, what Cloth Diaper combinations I need to wear when out and about during the day and wear accordingly.

So, during the day, I wear pre-folded, daytime, cloth diapers with NS Trifecta plastic pants with additional layers based on need. At night, resulting from a want to be dry, I wear NS MEGAMAX with their Trifecta plastic pants. I have night-time weight cloth diapers available, if needed.

I have stopped advising individuals regarding product other than Premium Quality, as failure is not an option and cheap will fail at the most inopportune moment!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, newt and Happy2BeInNappies2
For those who might be curious, I wanted to update my calculations for potentially switching to cloth diapers.

Since my original posting, my daytime issues have cleared up and I am currently only dealing with bedwetting. Since this has gone on for several months at this point, I do want to consider that this may be a long-term issue and want to be able to save money where possible. I am currently using Megamax to handle the bedwetting and they do a great job but they are a much bigger expense than what I have calculated for using cloth diapers.

Firstly, I tried to determine what amount of sets I would need and how many washings I would want to do per week to try and maximize savings.

Secondly, I tried to figure out a good test to determine the diaper I would use. I have been looking at tons of cloth options and general consensus seems to be that prefolds are best. The main issue with them is that I can't get a consistent read on how many ounces a prefold can hold. On the other hand, some people do like either pull-on cloth diapers or the Velcro versions. The Incontrol fitted cloth diaper boasts of being able to hold 6 cups of liquid which will probably be enough once I combine it with one of the cotton booster pads. My test would try out a prefold and a Velcro version to see what works best for me.

Thirdly, I tried to account for all costs for either the prefold or Velcro option going forward.

Fourthly, I tried to figure out how long my bedwetting would need to carry on before I could justify making the swap. I might still wait a bit to see if my bedwetting clears up but at some point will want to consider this test if I do not see any changes.

On Considering Cloth Diapers

3 Washings / Week
Cloth night investment (3 sets) - $251, if they last 3 years - $83.6/year
With 3 washes per week
Just at night = 83+241=324/year ---> 974.5-(324) = 650.5/year savings

2 Washings / Week
Cloth night investment (4 sets) - $300, if they last 3 years - $100/year
With 2 washes per week
Just at night = 100+161=261 /year ---> 974.5-(261) = 713.5/year savings

To Purchase For Test: Includes diapers, securing method, covers, storage, cleaning

Incontroldiapers.com
  • 1 x organic adult nighttime prefold cloth diaper = $21
  • 1 x organic birdseye cotton booster pads = $19.99
  • 1 x incontrol adult fitted nighttime cloth diaper = $29.99
  • 1 x abz pin free diaper fasteners = $8.24
  • Shipping = $0
Adultclothdiaper.com
  • 1 x leakmaster deluxe adult plastic pant = $18.95
  • Shipping = $10.07
Amazon
  • Rockin Green Classic Laundry Detergent = $20.99
  • Wegreeco hanging wet dry cloth diaper bag = $12.99

Initial test = $21+$19.99+$29.99+$8.24+$18.95+$10.07+$20.99+$12.99=$142.22

Additional purchases if test good for Prefold

Incontroldiapers.com
  • 3 x organic adult nighttime prefold cloth diaper = $21*3=$63.00
  • 1 x abz pin free diaper fasteners = $8.24*3=$24.72
  • Shipping = $0
Adultclothdiaper.com
  • 2 x leakmaster deluxe adult plastic pant = $18.95*2=$37.9
  • Shipping = $10.07

Total = $142.22+$63+$19.99+$24.72+$37.9+$10.07=$297.9

Additional purchases if test good for Fitted Nighttime Cloth Diaper

Incontroldiapers.com
  • 1 x incontrol adult fitted nighttime cloth diaper = $29.99*3=$89.97
  • Shipping = $0
Adultclothdiaper.com
  • 1 x leakmaster deluxe adult plastic pant = $18.95*2=$37.9
  • Shipping = $10.07

Total = $142.22+$19.99+$89.97+$37.9+$10.07=$300.15

Current cost per month -- 2.65*30=79.5
2 Washings / Week

Cloth night investment (4 sets) - $300
Cloth washing cost - 2 per week -> $161/12=$13.42/month
How long to make it worth the switch
Disposable | Cloth
F
1 month = 79.5 vs 300+13.4=313.42
2 months = 159 vs 300+26.8=326.84
3 months = 238.5 vs 300+40.2=340.26
4 months = 318 vs 300+53.6=353.68
5 months = 397.5 vs 300+67.1=367.1
6 months = 477 vs 300+80.5=380.52

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
REARZ the overnight one are pretty thick and absorbant , be careful to NOT PUT FLEECE with clothes diapers when you wash them .

clothes diapers will always be saving a lots, à know in Europe you pay a lot for your electricity and water but you will save ..
here in Quebec Canada, water is free , and electricity is 0,058 $/KWH yes only 6 cent KW/H .

KechoDrips said:

With 2 washes per week
With 3 washes per week

Yes I have a lot of experience with cloth diapers I was born with a neurogenic bladder and have been in cloth diapers and plastic pants for my entire life and really love them! During the day I have to change my diapers every 3 or 4 hours and I wear just 1 prefold adult pin on diaper and plastic pants of course at night I wear one of my cloth prefolds and three toddler prefold gauze diapers as liners and my plastic pants and they usually last like 10 to 12 hours and are definitely way more comfortable than disposable diapers and feel awesome wet or dry and wash them like every three days and hang my plastic pants to air dry and they last a long time too and I think that they look really cute too so please feel free to ask me anything that you would like to know and I’ll be glad to help you as much as I can

Attachments

• AB522A58-2BCB-459F-8A67-AA19C6A08BEB.jpeg
    AB522A58-2BCB-459F-8A67-AA19C6A08BEB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • C03D17D0-A558-490F-AF97-D16EB364183D.jpeg
    C03D17D0-A558-490F-AF97-D16EB364183D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 264857F7-098D-46E3-97B3-1C75AC9FB138.jpeg
    264857F7-098D-46E3-97B3-1C75AC9FB138.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 2EF502CD-1C7F-4AB3-96AD-377ACC356625.jpeg
    2EF502CD-1C7F-4AB3-96AD-377ACC356625.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 3061D9BE-2091-494C-BF7D-BD455FDE3E2B.jpeg
    3061D9BE-2091-494C-BF7D-BD455FDE3E2B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • AC588055-E821-4575-8E19-F8167F4DB9D9.jpeg
    AC588055-E821-4575-8E19-F8167F4DB9D9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • B1D1A7C1-20E3-4895-AFB8-B0EB7C1250D0.jpeg
    B1D1A7C1-20E3-4895-AFB8-B0EB7C1250D0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
With regard to your outlay on diapers, have you considered humble terry towelling bathsheets (or even just bath towels, if your wetting isn't too great)?
The 'pro' inco stuff is low-grade and massively overpriced.
Just off the top of my head, a bathsheet, as bought from any typical shop, will work out at half the price of an inco-store item, but with four times (rough guess) the absorbancy (that's without boosters) and a much longer lifespan.

You could also think about frost protection fleece for liners. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Jr2012 and michaelmc
ade said:
With regard to your outlay on diapers, have you considered humble terry towelling bathsheets (or even just bath towels, if your wetting isn't too great)?
Just off the top of my head, a bathsheet, as bought from any typical shop, will work out at half the price of an inco-store item, but with four times (rough guess) the absorbancy (that's without boosters) and a much longer lifespan.

You know that they use Terry bath towels in England and have for years and I have used them as well if my regular diapers aren’t quite dry and they work great and are really comfortable too and a lot cheaper than adult cloth prefold diapers

Jr2012 said:
You know that they use Terry bath towels in England and have for years and I have used them as well if my regular diapers aren’t quite dry and they work great and are really comfortable too and a lot cheaper than adult cloth prefold diapers
ade said:

I don't know enough about cloth diapers to be able to compare them to what towels might offer. My understanding is that a prefold offers absorption where it is needed most without having so many layers elsewhere. I couldn't imagine trying to use one of my current towels as a diaper as the bulk would be immense. I don't think that any of my current plastic pants would go over a towel and I am not sure that the pins that I have would go through the towel and give me anything to attach with.

I did consider buying the material outright but I don't have a sewing machine nor do I want to explain to my mother why I would want to borrow hers.

ask the people at the fabric store and look for adds to find some one who does sewing

KechoDrips said:
My understanding is that a prefold offers absorption where it is needed most without having so many layers elsewhere. I couldn't imagine trying to use one of my current towels as a diaper as the bulk would be immense.
This may help your wonderings:
(The top result is about something else, but has a snippet about plastic pants)
Bulk has always been an issue, but I've found that wearing a nappy with a natural sag, rather than being snuggly crotch-fitting, gives more comfort and doesn't really impact performance (no backache, either; I've got that T-shirt 😉).
My hand's goosed, now, so gotta go...

Back