Cloth diaper folds

DBabygirl2

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
If you're a lover of cloth diapers in any form, I'm curious...what's your go-to fold and style? Do you prefer flats over prefolds? Plastic pants or snap covers/pocket diapers? Pins over other fasteners...please share. My first choice is Rearz prefold in a traditional kite fold with Boingo fasteners, and a waterproof cover. I'm looking for new folds to try.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldskool, Diprs2, PaddedRita and 1 other person
I prefer contour cloth nappies but on the occasions I use terry squares it’s generally the bat fold.
Always with pins and plastic pants.

And I bet loads of (older) members have read that and gone nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah bat fold!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: littledub1955, oldskool and 247
I wear pre-folds and in a size where all I have to do is pin the corners. There are some interesting folds out there but sometimes having extra material that has to be folded in can be uncomfortable.

Jelly Roll or Newspaper Fold are my two favorites using prefolds/snappis.

Reactions: oldskool and 247
Angel wing or jelly roll, usually pinned but sometimes Boingo-ed. For the last few months I’ve also been using Rearz wraps and simply pad-folding my prefolds. No fasteners required. I just fold the sides in to create a long pad and lie it in the wrap. Works great! (I still love my pins though.)

Reactions: littledub1955 and oldskool
With cloth diapers, I wear mostly prefolds, organic birdseye and cotton twill. I’ve always simply done a fan-fold, but there seems to be many names for the same fold.

Reactions: oldskool
Toddler or adult XS prefolds, folded and used as an insert in either a Rearz Velcro cover or a Snap-EZ pocket diaper.

Reactions: Cottontail and oldskool
Forced said:
I prefer contour cloth nappies but on the occasions I use terry squares it’s generally the bat fold.

And I bet loads of (older) members have read that and gone nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah bat fold!
Thanks for sharing!
I’m going to pin myself up in a bat fold later today and see how i get on.

👍

Reactions: oldskool and Forced
I've got both pre-fold and contour cloth diapers. On the pre-folds they'll be folded in kind of a modified jelly and or a
diaper-bag fold before being either Snappied or Boing'ed around my bottom.
I'm usually diapered in a cloth diaper and plastic pants for overnight so almost all of my cloth diapers are of a heavier weight.

My usual terry nappy fold is the good old kite but it needs extra padding in front so I add inserts, often baby terry nappies. I do like the origami fold but it needs a big nappy. But it makes it very thick at the front where I need it. Playing with folds is part of the AB experience, specially if it's daddy doing the experimenting on me.

sofiahammerstein said:
Jelly Roll or Newspaper Fold are my two favorites using prefolds/snappis.
Just love your Newspaper fold!
Plenty of layers where it matters, the nappy rises higher on my front and pinned securely both sides.

Thanks for sharing.

Love it!

Reactions: oldskool and sofiahammerstein
DBabygirl2 said:
If you're a lover of cloth diapers in any form, I'm curious...what's your go-to fold and style? Do you prefer flats over prefolds? Plastic pants or snap covers/pocket diapers? Pins over other fasteners...please share. My first choice is Rearz prefold in a traditional kite fold with Boingo fasteners, and a waterproof cover. I'm looking for new folds to try.
I had been in love with cloth diapers my whole life. Always preferred pre-fold and diaper pins with plastic pants. Cloth diapers were what was used when I was a baby. I had never had much of an interest in disposables until I ended up with OAB/URGE INCONTINENCE. I now incorporate my pre-fold (love the Rearz pre-fold) and diaper pins to support my night disposable which I inevitably leak from due to sleeping on my stomach and peeing or leaking out the sides. I wear a Northshore diaper cover over all that. Still love the cloth diapers a lot!

Reactions: littledub1955, DBabygirl2, oldskool and 1 other person
@DBabygirl2 Not quite sure how you do a traditional kite fold with a prefold diaper. The center pad would be skewed all over the place.

For daytime at home, I use a large Birdseye prefold in an Angel Wing fold in a Snap-EZ Pocket Diaper and snap-on PUL pants (extra protection against leaks). The extra length of the large gets folded down in front for more absorption where needed, as I pee into the front of the diaper.

For bedtime at home, I double diaper using large and medium Birdseye prefolds in a Night Time Double fold (large in an Angel Wing fold with the medium diaper folded as a pad down the center). I use extra large (3¼") diaper pins to fasten and Protex Overnight Collector's Edition Pant (rebranded Gary Comfort High Waist Plastic Pants) to cover.

Reactions: DBabygirl2 and oldskool
I've been wearing prefolds for years now and I don't need to create any folds. Years ago, before prefolds were so easy to find, I used flats and depending on size, I used the kite fold or newspaper fold.

Reactions: DBabygirl2, oldskool and 247
For me it’s generally Leakmaster prefold double pinned on with 3 inch pins. Cover this with Gary or Leakmaster 7 mil plastic pants.

Reactions: Lyric and DBabygirl2
CheshireCat said:
@DBabygirl2 Not quite sure how you do a traditional kite fold with a prefold diaper. The center pad would be skewed all over the place.

For daytime at home, I use a large Birdseye prefold in an Angel Wing fold in a Snap-EZ Pocket Diaper and snap-on PUL pants (extra protection against leaks). The extra length of the large gets folded down in front for more absorption where needed, as I pee into the front of the diaper.

For bedtime at home, I double diaper using large and medium Birdseye prefolds in a Night Time Double fold (large in an Angel Wing fold with the medium diaper folded as a pad down the center). I use extra large (3¼") diaper pins to fasten and Protex Overnight Collector's Edition Pant (rebranded Gary Comfort High Waist Plastic Pants) to cover.
Oops.. I meant angel fold. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reactions: PaddedRita and CheshireCat
Thanks everyone for sharing. I don’t get to wear cloth as often as I’d like.

Reactions: PaddedRita
I like flat diapers with a soaker pad in the middle. Plastic pants are a must over top of them.

Reactions: chuck and DBabygirl2
leafgoalie said:
I like flat diapers with a soaker pad in the middle. Plastic pants are a must over top of them.
Flats are always comfy!

Reactions: leafgoalie and Lyric
Forced said:

Same here

Reactions: DBabygirl2
Back